X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    Make that oddTWOout oddoneout I get a lot of enjoyment over the week from the programme through those short pieces that are frequently complained about. I don't understand why 'short is bad' - Bach wrote plenty of short pieces, to name but one composer.
    It's like being served a five course meal comprising canapes and sweets. If you want more substantial fare you will get severe indigestion from this menu.

A more balanced and digestible repast would be to mix the shorter works with longer ones. Don't forget, the great Bach also wrote numerous works of extended duration too!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      I seem to recallCD Masters turned in comparable listening figures, but correct me if I'm wrong.
      When CD Masters was 2 hours long, its listening figures compared well with those of Classical Collection, also 2 hours long. I think Essential Classics was 3 hours long from the start, wasn't it? At one point, RW returned CotW from noon to 9am which always acted as a buffer to Mo3/Breakfast listeners and they switched off . Then he returned CotW to noon and Essential Classics started at 9am with the object of 'holding on to as much of the Breakfast audience as possible' [sic]. This is where engineering audiences takes over from focusing on content. (9am had long been the traditional hour for CotW, but Nicholas Kenyon first moved it to noon).

If the listeners who can't concentrate on a 30 minute work leave the station so be it
      Let's be fair: I don't think it's necessarily that people 'can't concentrate': it's that their lifestyle takes precedence. If they haven't time to listen for that long, they switch off. The argument is whether they should deprive those who can listen from have the privilege of listening to longer works.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        'Yes, it is isn't it? so, now........who do you think is just coming into the room..?
        'Is it.......Mozart?'
        'No, don't be a silly billy, it's not Mozart
        That reminds me of a friend in US who took his five (I think) year old son to his first orchestral concert in which two Mozart works framed Prokofiev's Second Violin Concerto and Carter's Variations for Orchestra. He was delighted that there was never any sense of compromise in his attention span and that he clearly found the experience exciting. After the Carter, the composer came to the stage to take a bow and my friend explained to his son that this was the man who composed the piece to which he'd just been listening; this thrilled him. However, after the last piece on the programme was played, he turned to his father and asked "but where's Mozart?"...

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Let's be fair: I don't think it's necessarily that people 'can't concentrate'.
          I wouldn't bet on that!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I wouldn't bet on that!
            I did say 'necessarily'. So, yes, I would bet on that. But I do think that people who don't themselves have time in the morning to listen to longer pieces should support those who do, rather than think their own circumstances are all that matters. From 10am or 11am, prior to CotW, I think a large number of people are ready to listen to something more than just classical 'light entertainment'.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

...................or fizz, fizz ..............the week's 'GUEST' self-promoting

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

I did say 'necessarily'. So, yes, I would bet on that. But I do think that people who don't themselves have time in the morning to listen to longer pieces should support those who do, rather than think their own circumstances are all that matters. From 10am or 11am, prior to CotW, I think a large number of people are ready to listen to something more than just classical 'light entertainment'.
                Time is only one aspect. It should be obvious by now that I would be happy(in fact would welcome) to see something different along the lines you suggest for the last couple of hours of the morning.
                However what I am more than a little fed-up with is the implication in some posts that those who do listen to the current morning offering, or similar programmes are an inferior species, intellectually deficient, morally reprehensible, selfish etc etc.....

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

I did say 'necessarily'. So, yes, I would bet on that '.
                  Likewise, I posted "if those who can't concentrate", which by implication infers that there are others who are able to concentrate!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    However what I am more than a little fed-up with is the implication in some posts that those who do listen to the current morning offering, or similar programmes are an inferior species, intellectually deficient, morally reprehensible, selfish etc etc.....
                    I sympathise with that view - and you have suggested that you would welcome something a little 'better' than what we are currently getting.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Likewise, I posted "if those who can't concentrate", which by implication infers that there are others who are able to concentrate!
                      But you wouldn't bet on it, I infer.

How about 'The Three Musketeers'?

Only joking fellow member. ( Even money)

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        That reminds me of a friend in US who took his five (I think) year old son to his first orchestral concert in which two Mozart works framed Prokofiev's Second Violin Concerto and Carter's Variations for Orchestra. He was delighted that there was never any sense of compromise in his attention span and that he clearly found the experience exciting. After the Carter, the composer came to the stage to take a bow and my friend explained to his son that this was the man who composed the piece to which he'd just been listening; this thrilled him. However, after the last piece on the programme was played, he turned to his father and asked "but where's Mozart?"...
                        Obviously decomposing!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                          As the programme started today, Suzy Klein said that she would later be playing part of Mozart's Jupiter Symphony and invited listeners to say what they would follow it with. At that point I turned off in disgust. I've just sent in a very sarcastic email saying that if it wasn't the last movement, I'd follow it with the next movement, so I look forward to getting flamed by the producer. (I've just checked the schedule, and apparently it's the finale that they're broadcasting.)

A bleeding chunk of Mozart?
                          They really are bereft of ideas if they are continuing to play this silly game.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            They really are bereft of ideas if they are continuing to play this silly game.
                            If it is the finale then follow it with K552, it is a song which lasts 2'20" - the length of a 60s' pop single - should be right for concentration span also!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

If Mozart had wanted a follow-up piece, he would have added another movement.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                                But you wouldn't bet on it, I infer.

How about 'The Three Musketeers'?

Only joking fellow member. ( Even money)
                                When I am having trouble concentrating I don't listen to the radio as it makes things worse and, convenient as it might be I can't blame concentration deficit for my consumption of morning R3.

Comment

Working...
                                X