X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Well, that was one person who was pleased. What about the other 500,000 listeners?
    ... indeed. Perhaps the clue can be found in the name of the medium - it is 'broadcasting' not 'narrowcasting', let alone 'singlepersoncasting'.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

EssClass reminds me of Listen with Mother:
      'Now, children, I wonder what the follow-on will be today? What do you think, little Tommy, do you think it''ll be the Ride of the Valkyries or..?.'
      'Who's knocking at the door? Who do we think it is? Do you think it's Ian? Or is it Suzy? Or...could it be the Nice Guest for the Day? Or...no, look, children, it's Mr Time Traveller. Hello, Mr Time Traveller! Now, I wonder what Mr Time Traveller has got for us today? Mr Time Traveller, what have you got for us today?''

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        'Now, children, I wonder what the follow-on will be today? What do you think, little Tommy, do you think it''ll be the Ride of the Valkyries or..?.'
        'Who's knocking at the door? Who do we think it is? Do you think it's Ian? Or is it Suzy? Or...could it be the Nice Guest for the Day? Or...no, look, children, it's Mr Time Traveller. Hello, Mr Time Traveller! Now, I wonder what Mr Time Traveller has got for us today? Mr Time Traveller, what have you got for us today?''

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Except that I can't rid myself of the impression that there's a toxic element which was missing from Listen with Mother... Ian Skelly provides some measure of antidote, but Suzy Klein definitely doesn't.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Except that I can't rid myself of the impression that there's a toxic element which was missing from Listen with Mother... Ian Skelly provides some measure of antidote, but Suzy Klein definitely doesn't.
            Fauré's a jolly good sleepy time fellow.

Comment

• Rex Bartlett
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Well, that was one person who was pleased. What about the other 500,000 listeners?
              I was simply replying, lightheartedly, to Sir Velo as one of his "gits" who have derived a small amount of pleasure from having had their name read out on the radio. I cannot speak for the effect that my experience had on the feelings of the other half million listeners for whom you appear to speak but only hope that they didn't all think me a stupid git for getting the question right or for being mindless enough to bother answering it it the first place.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Just arrived:

'ANNOUNCED TODAY:Ten Pieces Assemblies are back for BBC Music's The Biggest Weekend

Want to be a part of the BBC’s biggest ever celebration of music? The Biggest Weekend will take place on the 25 – 28 May, bringing the biggest artists in the world to all parts of the UK with live shows in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Be a part of this UK-wide celebration by putting on your own Ten Pieces Biggest Weekend Assembly. Either hold your assembly on Friday 25 May or on a day earlier that week that works for your school.

Hosting a Ten Pieces Assembly is fun and flexible - you can either use the time to showcase your creative responses, perform any of the pieces or watch the films - it's entirely up to you. Watch last year's assembly highlights for inspiration.

Schools that take part will receive a FREE pack containing Ten Pieces stickers, posters and a certificate for your school as well as to get mentioned on our website. If you're taking part you can also upload your activities to also feature in our creative showcase.

Find out more and sign-up now to be a part of this big celebration of music!

We look forward to having you on board!

The Ten Pieces Team'

NB: the boldening is my editing Erm..........so what's the Proms? Real Beeb over-hype.
                But of course, it's for that unintelligent cadre - teachers. Silly me!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rex Bartlett View Post
                  I was simply replying, lightheartedly, to Sir Velo as one of his "gits" who have derived a small amount of pleasure from having had their name read out on the radio. I cannot speak for the effect that my experience had on the feelings of the other half million listeners for whom you appear to speak but only hope that they didn't all think me a stupid git for getting the question right or for being mindless enough to bother answering it it the first place.
                  You are no git to me RB - make that 499,999 plays 2 ........

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Rex Bartlett View Post
                    Good on you, Rex. And I bet your niece was thrilled to get in touch with you again. But you don't have to answer to those who don't like the programme, though I know it is hard to remain silent at times.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Just arrived:

'ANNOUNCED TODAY:Ten Pieces Assemblies are back for BBC Music's The Biggest Weekend

Want to be a part of the BBC’s biggest ever celebration of music? The Biggest Weekend will take place on the 25 – 28 May, bringing the biggest artists in the world to all parts of the UK with live shows in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Be a part of this UK-wide celebration by putting on your own Ten Pieces Biggest Weekend Assembly. Either hold your assembly on Friday 25 May or on a day earlier that week that works for your school.

Hosting a Ten Pieces Assembly is fun and flexible - you can either use the time to showcase your creative responses, perform any of the pieces or watch the films - it's entirely up to you. Watch last year's assembly highlights for inspiration.

Schools that take part will receive a FREE pack containing Ten Pieces stickers, posters and a certificate for your school as well as to get mentioned on our website. If you're taking part you can also upload your activities to also feature in our creative showcase.

Find out more and sign-up now to be a part of this big celebration of music!

We look forward to having you on board!

The Ten Pieces Team'

NB: the boldening is my editing Erm..........so what's the Proms? Real Beeb over-hype.
                      But of course, it's for that unintelligent cadre - teachers. Silly me!

This suggests that the definition of music goes beyond the Proms offering, hence the over-egging? It rather looks as if the R3 input might be somewhat, er, overshadowed by the rest. The Ten Pieces assemblies might be the biggest part of any 'classical' input.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Blimey, well, this morning's EssClass is, under IS, just absurd, as is his manner of talking to the audience as if it is in some kind of real 'care home radio' programme and he is 'our carer'. Embarrassingly awful.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          It will be interesting to see if you get selected bbm given the ongoing theory that the choice is made the week before and/or the daily deluge of suggestions they claim to receive .....
                          Not this week but I have been rather lucky in requests that I have sent in. So I can’t grumble
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Blimey, well, this morning's EssClass is, under IS, just absurd, as is his manner of talking to the audience as if it is in some kind of real 'care home radio' programme and he is 'our carer'. Embarrassingly awful.
                            Couldn’t agree with you more!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Not this week but I have been rather lucky in requests that I have sent in. So I can’t grumble
                              ... however, BBM, we can grumble - because you are encouraging them in these inanities.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... however, BBM, we can grumble - because you are encouraging them in these inanities..
                                Oh now, be fair. They'd do all this with or without encouragement.
                                I did wonder what Mr Skelly was up to this morning - sending the whole thing up as far as he could before anyone(establishment) noticed perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X