• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... no : I think the 'problem' with chumminess is that it is fake, a spurious assumption of friendly intimacy that has not been earned and is not desired.
    If that's what you understand by the colloquialism, yes, you're right. Though the OED merely defines 'chummy' as 'intimate' or 'sociable'. As ferney says, some are 'being themselves' - nothing fake - necessarily. It can still grate, though.

Any kind of pose is 'fake' - and 'dandiacal arrogance' is just as likely to be a mere pose. Whether one grates more than another on someone depends on the someone. Though both would probably annoy me.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... the difference is that 'chumminess' implies a relationship : when there is no such relationship, the chumminess is inauthentic, fake, and (to me) irritating. 'Arrogance' doesn't imply relationship, quite the reverse.

It's why I prefer the unfeeling arrogance of cats to the apparent friendliness of dogs...

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

I'd characterise cats as perhaps supercilious, rather than arrogant.

And certainly not unfeeling, since they certainly do , or can, recognise difficulties experienced by humans.

But just IMHO of course.

And going back to the topic, the important thing, I think, is that the broadcaster has some genuine quality that clearly transcends the issues that some will inevitably have with their ( or the house) style. A good example might be Stephen Johnson.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          It's why I prefer the unfeeling arrogance of cats to the apparent friendliness of dogs...

Why, there you are, monsieur - I am au contraire the founder of the Cats Prevention League
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
            It was not Suzy Klein, but a Dr Alun Withey (BBC New Generation Thinker, god help us) who perpetrated this.
            I beg her pardon! (Posted from out here on the naughty step. It's freezing)

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

as it's Xmas (tho quite why that should have clouded my judgement I don't know) I tried the replacement presenter -big mistake - he was fine doing the Sunday slot but he and Joy from Taunton or wherever can remain silent for the next year - pseudo bonhomie even tho laced with tinsel

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

It would appear that my festive spirit has worn off rather quickly. If one thought Skellers would bring anything different to the programme we have been sorely misled. Same old stuff, same waffle, inane “competitions”. It is the format that is totally wrong, not the presenter. It couldn’t be any worse even if KD was at the mic.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                  It would appear that my festive spirit has worn off rather quickly. If one thought Skellers would bring anything different to the programme we have been sorely misled. Same old stuff, same waffle, inane “competitions”. It is the format that is totally wrong, not the presenter. It couldn’t be any worse even if KD was at the mic.
                  FoR3 did describe Ess. Cla. as a Poisoned Chalice, and wished Ian the best of luck with it. I'd have said the format has been even worse than Breakfast, redeemed about 5% be having 1 (ONE) full-length piece. Which it doesn't seem to have had lately. It has come over as an even more aggressive attempt to offer a 'distinctive' [sic] alternative for Classic FM listeners. Rather interesting if CFM decided to replace John Suchet with … Rob Cowan

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                    Oh, and with KD winning Christmas 2017 Strictly Come Dancing yesterday, we'll never hear the end of it ...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Oh, and with KD winning Christmas 2017 Strictly Come Dancing yesterday, we'll never hear the end of it ...
                      Today it seems to be reading out a number of listeners tweets and emails this morning. Just play the music and say a little bit about it please! The celebrity obsession section today is Griffith Rhys Jones currently talking about books and just getting in the way of the music.
                      Last edited by Stanfordian; 26-12-17, 17:04.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I think with Breakfast and Essential we want a programme like this but with less waffle and better music, which I have requested, eg Handel's Ciacona in G major.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Before you all jump down my throat, here's the disclaimer - I don't think this is what R3 should be doing.
                          However I felt that IS dealt well and on occasion entertainingly with the listener input, and whatever the reason for his slip(quickly corrected) the 'rage over a lost piano' was an amusing thought.
                          It is a poisoned chalice though, and at some point I suspect the inanity will get the better of him, but for now I'll carry on listening as usual(ie with some selective leaving the room for things like the celebrity slot) and see what if any influence he can bring to bear.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Today it seems to be reading out a number of listeners tweets and emails this morning. Just play the music and say a little bit about it please! The celebrity obsession section today is Griffith Rhys Jones currently talking about books and just getting in the way of the music.
                            Well he's usually an annoying ..... So I'm glad I missed him!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Gosh! To think that I once actually made it to meeting with a real celebrity-to-be!!! It actually happened a few years ago now, can't remember how many, when Radio 3 did its "pop up" at the RFH, and the much-missed Calum da Jazzbo and I went along to the sparsely attended q&a with Mr Wright, which she... compered.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Before you all jump down my throat, here's the disclaimer - I don't think this is what R3 should be doing.
                                However I felt that IS dealt well and on occasion entertainingly with the listener input, and whatever the reason for his slip(quickly corrected) the 'rage over a lost piano' was an amusing thought.
                                It is a poisoned chalice though, and at some point I suspect the inanity will get the better of him, but for now I'll carry on listening as usual(ie with some selective leaving the room for things like the celebrity slot) and see what if any influence he can bring to bear.
                                Very fair comment IMHO. His more jocular approach seems more suited to the programme's format than did RC's rather more earnest style. And - unless my ears deceived me - we did get to hear a complete Mozart piano concerto.

Comment

Working...
                                X