Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Just can't see how the slow movement - welcome though it was to hear it - from RVW's Pastoral works in any way as a companion piece to the Beethoven. The only thing really in common is the title . Also detaching it from the rest of the symphony really jars for me in a way that playing the first movt of Beethoven 6 doesn't ...

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I had a mention too, at the last one for the Berlioz(name give away there)
      Hiya Maestro,

Ah! So you are to blame for encouraging this ridiculous programme. 500 lines for you and extra homework as a punishment.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Hiya Maestro,

Ah! So you are to blame for encouraging this ridiculous programme. 500 lines for you and extra homework as a punishment.
        At this season of Goodwill too Stan! i'll certainly be getting coal this year!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
          I wonder if this suggests a part at least of the target audience for mornings on Radio 3: "Hans Castorp loved music with all his heart, its effect being much like that of the porter he drank with his morning snack --profoundly calming, numbing, 'doze'-inducing -- and he listened now with pleasure, his head tilted to one side, mouth open, eyes slightly bloodshot."
          And yet at the end of the novel Hans goes over the top in the trenches singing Der Lindenbaum from Die Winterreise - so perhaps music is more for him than an analgesic - useful though that would be in the crossfire .

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            At this season of Goodwill too Stan! i'll certainly be getting coal this year!
            On New Year's Eve for good luck I can bring some coal in at the door but I'll have to dye my hair black.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Given that for various reasons I didn't hear much of this morning's programme, I am pleased to report that for this listener at least there were 3 items that made my morning more pleasurable, a better 'hit' rate than of late(or in fact for some time).
              William Boyce: Overture. His music was a staple of our school Junior and string orchestras, and I always enjoy hearing it.
              Teruyuki Noda: Kokiriko variations. Beautiful flute and guitar playing.
              Dmitri Shostakovich: 'O wert thou in the cauld blast'. The combination of the orchestration and Gerald Finlay's singing stopped me in my tracks.
              The Noda and DS were new to me, so an added bonus.

Comment

• un barbu
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                And yet at the end of the novel Hans goes over the top in the trenches singing Der Lindenbaum from Die Winterreise - so perhaps music is more for him than an analgesic - useful though that would be in the crossfire .
                I think Hans is quite a different person at the end of the novel after all his experiences at the International Sanatorium Berghof.
                Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Being housebound today with a bad cold, I listened right the way through, but didn't find much to complain about, in fact it was a quite a pleasurable experience. Companion pieces, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Tinzel on Christmas Trees, Carol Competition finalists. My only complaint was Brian Blessed - I've never appreciated his sudden switch to a loud emotional state.

I guess Suzy might have shoe-horned in a Mahler Symphony - but then it would be different programme.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
                    My only complaint was Brian Blessed - I've never appreciated his sudden switch to a loud emotional state.
                    I didn't appreciate being told by Suzy (in her worst hectoring tone) that, if Blessed Brian didn't make me smile, I was a miserable grouch or some such.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                      I didn't appreciate being told by Suzy (in her worst hectoring tone) that, if Blessed Brian didn't make me smile, I was a miserable grouch or some such.
                      Didn't catch the intro by Miss, but while getting ready to go out, I happened to switch on to hear BB - these little celeb sound bites are pathetic though, aren't they? Oh, and he's interested in Outer Space... cue: bit of The Planets ... And off I switched.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
                        Being housebound today with a bad cold, I listened right the way through, but didn't find much to complain about, in fact it was a quite a pleasurable experience. Companion pieces, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Tinzel on Christmas Trees, Carol Competition finalists. My only complaint was Brian Blessed - I've never appreciated his sudden switch to a loud emotional state.

I guess Suzy might have shoe-horned in a Mahler Symphony - but then it would be different programme.
                        Yes but he was good in Z Cars!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Yes but he was good in Z Cars!
                          And I Claudius

But, Vespare is perfectly correct - it would be a different programme.

One I might want to listen to.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            And I Claudius
                            And Porthos, and Reuben Starkadder, and many more - a fine actor, with impeccable delivery, perfect for roles which require a certain....presence.

But, Vespare is perfectly correct - it would be a different programme.

One I might want to listen to.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Didn't catch the intro by Miss, but while getting ready to go out, I happened to switch on to hear BB - these little celeb sound bites are pathetic though, aren't they? Oh, and he's interested in Outer Space... cue: bit of The Planets ... And off I switched.
                              It takes the: Schubert bleeding chunk, and now for Allan Sherman to new depths. What is this programme supposed to be?
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

I think it's meant to be 'accessible', but ends up sounding patronising.

Comment

Working...
                                X