• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I have just retreated to the other room. Suzy announced that the winning companion piece today (for Hamish MacCunn's LOTMATF) would be Dvorak's Ma Vlast. I was intrigued as this was new to me, but it became clear she meant Smetana's. Simple enough mistake......
    Ah. Suzy Sourcream, rather than Creamcheese, eh?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I think there was a tactful whisper in her 'phones, as it was Smetana before the piece actually began. Bit of a put down for Pat in Chingford for suggesting Eine Alpensinfonie ("Have ever visited the Alps?")
      Poor Pat was probably just hoping for 55 minutes of uninterrupted music. I don't suppose Suzy is that much of an expert on Alpinism. Everything is relative - the 1952 Everest expedition trained in Snowdonia, after all....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I don't suppose Suzy is that much of an expert on Alpinism.
        One of the problems with this kind of programme is the presenter assumes the role of expert in everything, ponderously repeating the few details reently culled from Wikipedia: Turina, Zipoli, Antonio Soler. Radio 1 dance music. Hamish MacCunn
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Bit of a put down for Pat in Chingford for suggesting Eine Alpensinfonie ("Have ever visited the Alps?")
          That would have messed up their schedule.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I don't suppose Suzy is that much of an expert on Alpinism. Everything is relative - the 1952 Everest expedition trained in Snowdonia, after all....
            That reminds me of when I was a student at Bangor University. A friend offered me a lift home to my student digs in a tiny village at quite a high altitude near Bethesda. As he drove ever higher,through the bleak, narrow lanes, he gasped:

"Even the sheep must have oxygen masks here!"

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              That would have messed up their schedule.
              But let's look at the positives that would have yielded.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

Ah, we've hit the motherload with the "follow on" feature. What could come next after Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours"?

There can be ONLY one response.

Allan Sherman. Come on in, your time is NOW.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                  Ah, we've hit the motherload with the "follow on" feature. What could come next after Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours"?

If Clemency Burton-Hill can play Gerry and the Pacemakers' Ferry Cross the Mersey, Suzy Klein could play Hello mudder, hello fadder. It's a classic, no?

At least the Brainteaser required a certain amount of knowledge. This monstrosity is little more than, "Here's a piece of music, suggest another one that we could play." What's the dictionary definition? 'To make more simple or less intellectually demanding, especialliy in order to appeal to a broader audience'?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Well, what comes after it in Fantasia?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                      • Nov 2010

If Clemency Burton-Hill can play Gerry and the Pacemakers' Ferry Cross the Mersey, Suzy Klein could play Hello mudder, hello fadder. It's a classic, no?
                      Well, I have better things to do than listen to this nonsense any more so please post if SK actually mentions Allan Sherman.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Be careful what you wish for, Bax. A Sherman it is (I'm not listening either, just passing through while putting out the rubbish)

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

Well. Who'd a thought it?

An indication that these pieces are chosen before the show and the hope is that someone emails or texts in the "correct" answer. And an imaginary name and email can always be shoe-horned in if no-one suggests the chosen one.

Too cynical?

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Nope.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

At least the Brainteaser required a certain amount of knowledge. This monstrosity is little more than, "Here's a piece of music, suggest another one that we could play." What's the dictionary definition? 'To make more simple or less intellectually demanding, especialliy in order to appeal to a broader audience'?
                              Poor #HeyClem; Frenchie is never going to forgive and forget ......

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Poor #HeyClem; Frenchie is never going to forgive and forget ......
                                I would, were she to become a reformed character.

Comment

Working...
                                X