• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I wonder if he's a non-reader like his Dad.
    But, please mark that Radio 3 erroneously credited James McCartney instead of James McCarthy for the oratorio (excerpt) on Alan Turing
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      But, please mark that Radio 3 erroneously credited James McCartney instead of James McCarthy for the oratorio (excerpt) on Alan Turing
      It would be ironic if that was a computer error.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Could she be replaced by an Amazon-robot making sure that every other 'track' she gives us her name, the platform, the programme, the ways you can replay it?
        Naaah! Amazon robots would call every track a "song".

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I think they're always computer errors, but if there were any quality control …

This is is one of the examples where technology does NOT suit Radio 3: others being the computerisation that rolls up the works as they're played, instead of giving us an advance playlist; and even the iPlayer which makes it more difficult to have overruns and programmes which have slightly longer durations from week to week, depending on content. I imagine even the playout systems are put together by technicians rather than presenters, so when presenters get things right but the technicians make a mistake it's egg on face for the presenter! How much better to have a malfunctioning CD player, with a reserve machine to hand - and too bad if the programme overruns slightly. Would that really be such a loss compared with the current technology-driven content?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
            • Mar 2007

I think they're always computer errors, but if there were any quality control …

This is is one of the examples where technology does NOT suit Radio 3: others being the computerisation that rolls up the works as they're played, instead of giving us an advance playlist; and even the iPlayer which makes it more difficult to have overruns and programmes which have slightly longer durations from week to week, depending on content. I imagine even the playout systems are put together by technicians rather than presenters, so when presenters get things right but the technicians make a mistake it's egg on face for the presenter! How much better to have a malfunctioning CD player, with a reserve machine to hand - and too bad if the programme overruns slightly. Would that really be such a loss compared with the current technology-driven content?
            I found some guidelines here which suggest the entry process is manual, and quite onerous. (Note the bit about checking for typos!)

I suspect that the building option for the playlist is chosen editorially: Words and Music routinely issues the playlist in advance, whether it's a repeat or not. I'll see if I can find any evidence in other guidance pages.

You might like to look around the site covering BBC data entry guidelines: it includes editorial guidance for classical items.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Thanks for that, Andrew. Will study. I don't think entry can be 100% manual, as there are still cases where Cyrillic or Chinese characters are entered for the performer details. I came across an example a couple of days ago when I was checking, and I hardly ever do check now.

Can't find it for the moment, but it's clear someone does sometimes go through and correct manually (e.g. McCartney/McCarthy - was that mistake human or computer error? It was presumably corrected by a human being ).

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
              I found some guidelines here which suggest the entry process is manual, and quite onerous. (Note the bit about checking for typos!)

I suspect that the building option for the playlist is chosen editorially: Words and Music routinely issues the playlist in advance, whether it's a repeat or not. I'll see if I can find any evidence in other guidance pages.

You might like to look around the site covering BBC data entry guidelines: it includes editorial guidance for classical items.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

And also - I'd assumed the playlist was automated in some way to explain the dripfeed of music played. If it's all done manually why can't they just publish the advance playlist? The Music Brainz links seem to generate automatically - and they can be wrong - eg Ethel Smith, the wurlitzer Wunderkind, for Ethel Smyth.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

Yes - it seems that the MusicBrainz link is brought in by a lookup at editing time, but the default can be changed: it's a matter of how much care is taken, I suppose. No doubt people are under pressure to complete these listings, so it's not surprising that mistakes slip in.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    'Garbage in, garbage out' as I learnt 40 or so years ago in connection with the 'computer error' cop out.....

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                      • Mar 2007

I've just opened an account with MusicBrainz. Searching on 'James Mccart' brings up the two people mentioned up-thread in adjacent positions in the list - very easy to click on the wrong one:

Score Name Sort Name Type Gender Area Begin Begin Area End End Area
                      100 James McCarthy (choir director) McCarthy, James Person Male
                      99 James McCartney (Paul McCartney's son) McCartney, James Person Male United Kingdom 1977-09-12 London

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

others being the computerisation that rolls up the works as they're played, instead of giving us an advance playlist;
                        I could better accept the lack of an advance playlist if the scrolling ''playing now' actually kept up with what's playing now. I find it irritating to have to keep checking back if I want to find out what a piece is as the gizmo doesn't come up until it's well underway(or on occasion been and gone). I think I've asked before on here, but is there any good reason why it isn't synchronised? At least I know when the script and the music are adrift - not so good for those perhaps new to this game or with a smaller 'back catalogue' to check against?

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                          • Mar 2007

I've been looking into the operation of the playlists over the last few days with a view to getting my online retrospective playlists page working again. (It stopped working in April thanks to changes in the BBC web pages.) I've been looking to see if I can find any playlists produced in advance (to no avail so far). If I do manage to find them (legally!) I'll publish them in advance on my schedule listings pages.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                            I've been looking into the operation of the playlists over the last few days with a view to getting my online retrospective playlists page working again. (It stopped working in April thanks to changes in the BBC web pages.) I've been looking to see if I can find any playlists produced in advance (to no avail so far). If I do manage to find them (legally!) I'll publish them in advance on my schedule listings pages.

To oddoneout: for many (of us) the importance of the advance playlist is to give us the requisite information to decide whether the programme is worth listening to in the first place, not to tell us what's being played when it's being broadcast. This may be the answer: in most cases if one could see the playlist in advance one wouldn't bother We don't have to listen to the radio, just because it's 9.30am.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

To oddoneout: for many (of us) the importance of the advance playlist is to give us the requisite information to decide whether the programme is worth listening to in the first place, not to tell us what's being played when it's being broadcast. This may be the answer: in most cases if one could see the playlist in advance one wouldn't bother We don't have to listen to the radio, just because it's 9.30am.
                              Indeed and I was not intending to imply that the advance list was was unnecessary or dispensable; I have in the past been engaged in debate on this matter since I'm also on the side of preferring the availability of advance information,to use or not depending on the circumstances. I was grumbling at the 'playing now' being in arrears as well as the playlist so even if the computer is on when I'm listening to the radio I still end up having to scribble a note to check the piece at some later stage - radio's not digital so no display at that end.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Indeed and I was not intending to imply that the advance list was was unnecessary or dispensable; I have in the past been engaged in debate on this matter since I'm also on the side of preferring the availability of advance information,to use or not depending on the circumstances. I was grumbling at the 'playing now' being in arrears as well as the playlist so even if the computer is on when I'm listening to the radio I still end up having to scribble a note to check the piece at some later stage - radio's not digital so no display at that end.

Comment

Working...
                                X