• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Perhaps this belongs in a PM, but where does all this leave our esteemed Controller? Has he abandoned ship altogether? Hard to imagine that EC could be so much worse than before the recent changes, but it undoubtedly is.
    I'm at a total loss to explain this.

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I think it's rather good to have a bit of fun from Radio 3. Keeps the old brain cells going. I have had a couple or so mentions because of it. All good fun and why not?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Perhaps this belongs in a PM, but where does all this leave our esteemed Controller? Has he abandoned ship altogether? Hard to imagine that EC could be so much worse than before the recent changes, but it undoubtedly is.
      I suspect he's now being revealed in his true colours. I'm afraid I didn't share the consensus that he was going to be the saviour of Radio 3; IIRC, he has fewer classical music industry credentials than his predecessor. IMO, he has either been got at by BBC bigwigs who demand that he plays the numbers game, or he is showing his true demotic leanings. Alternatively, he sincerely believes that EC is the epitome of high culture!

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

... me too, I'm not sure that 'fun' is really all that enjoyable at all -

But more importantly here : I think the 'new' Essential Classics is about the worst thing to have happened to Radio 3 in years. It is of course at its worst with the smarm schmaltz and sentimental simpering of Rob Cowan - but even with the better presenters it is dreck. Still, I have been re-discovering some of the wonderful CDs on the shelves here which I had almost forgotten...

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Would light amusement do then?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            I suspect he's now being revealed in his true colours.
            I think that's a bit unfair. His major (I think) interest has been literary, and I think we've had some interesting results in that field.
            IIRC, he has fewer classical music industry credentials than his predecessor.
            In my view, though, it isn't necessary for the boss man to know his stuff. He employs underlings to do the main business. So far, he's relied on RW's employees.
            IMO, he has either been got at by BBC bigwigs who demand that he plays the numbers game, or he is showing his true demotic leanings.
            This is what I feared - that in the end others at the BBC, cultural nonentities, call the shots. The controller is just the BBC's mouthpiece.
            Alternatively, he sincerely believes that EC is the epitome of high culture!
            N-n-n-oo. I don't theenk that's the case. It may not be to everyone's taste, but contemporary music has been creeping in to the daytime schedules, for example (we don't count A Short Ride - that was one of the children's Ten Pieces). What is the case is that Essential Classics is getting steadily more stupid.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Would light amusement do then?
              It might suit well Essential Classics as it it currently is, Bbm, but would not suit listeners in search of something more intellectually stimulating or more musically informative than Key Stage 2

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                Although I don't contact the programme, I do try to imagine what the most inappropriate piece would be! How about Strauss' 'Metamorphsen' as a companion to the Thunder and lightning polka?
                Don't give them ideas! Link-speak is presumably often involved and, in this instance, a golden opportunity for it would be "Strauss", since I imagine it unlikely that Dresdner Blitzen would occur to any presenter of that programme...

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Don't give them ideas! Link-speak is presumably often involved and, in this instance, a golden opportunity for it would be "Strauss", since I imagine it unlikely that Dresdner Blitzen would occur to any presenter of that programme...
                  This should suit the target audience: Mozart's Das Donnerwetter in a version that comes in at 47 secs.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Probably the same person from yesterday who suggested John Adams (Short Ride in a Fast Machine?) as the follow-up to Bach's B minor Mass.
                    Maybe a fan of this ?

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

or this one.......I'm no petrol head, but you'd need a heart of stone not to love this......

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Perhaps a suitable companion piece to the Thunder and Lightning Polka would be 'Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer' - after all, two of Rudolph's fellow Santa-haulers are Donner and Blitzen.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Here we are, getting drawn into the Radio 3 Ministry of Silly Ideas, discussing what might be a good companion piece, when the pieces in question are either

(a) movements from longer works, in which case the intended companion pieces already exist, or
                          (b) works that exist in their own right, so don't need a companion piece.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I think that's a bit unfair. His major (I think) interest has been literary, and I think we've had some interesting results in that field.
                            In my view, though, it isn't necessary for the boss man to know his stuff. He employs underlings to do the main business. So far, he's relied on RW's employees.
                            This is what I feared - that in the end others at the BBC, cultural nonentities, call the shots. The controller is just the BBC's mouthpiece. N-n-n-oo. I don't theenk that's the case. It may not be to everyone's taste, but contemporary music has been creeping in to the daytime schedules, for example (we don't count A Short Ride - that was one of the children's Ten Pieces). What is the case is that Essential Classics is getting steadily more stupid.
                            Generally agree with you ff .... on his watch IMVVHO Breakfast has improved ..... I suppose the test is his response if the audience for Essential Classics shrinks.
                            But what will our response be if the number of listeners grows significantly .... ????

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              But what will our response be if the number of listeners grows significantly .... ????
                              Mutatis mutandis: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Mutatis mutandis: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
                                Should we be worried when a proportion of this week's Breakfast requests seem to start " Hey Clem .... " ..... ???

Comment

Working...
                                X