X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Hadn't you heard? 'There are no long answers'.
    Hiya LMcD,

I was thinking specifically of orchestral excerpts - the overture or prelude to act 3 - not the whole opera. Yet sadly still those would probably still be too long for current R3 protocol.
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 16-11-17, 12:39.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Who is being catered for with these features?
      Those listeners who like such things...Whether that is or should be the wider R3 audience is another question.
      It occurs to me that given the ability that now exists to profile such things this should become quite an easy(aka cheap?) thing to run. Getting a feel for the nature of the responses of the regulars to particular pieces should make it a simple process to narrow down possible options,(don't algorithms come into this kind of exercise?) especially since the choice of the initial piece is down to R3, thus further 'encouraging' the 'not wrong' answer. Pre-empting and manipulating under the umbrella of listener choice and participation - win win situation.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        Hi UTC . Given the past furore over rigged BBC competitions e.g naming the Blue Peter cat I would be very surprised if the companion piece is pre-chosen and as for a fake tweet - I would be even more surprised . That would come in the category of a "brave" ( i.e. terminal) career decision . An hour is plenty of time to get a mainstream repertoire piece on air. What would make things a bit more tricky is a specific performance .
        The made-up tweet from Mrs Trellis was intended to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, but my suspicions about the rest of it remain. I don't think pre-choosing a piece which is likely to attract support anyway is really akin to a rigged competition, so I see no reason why they might not do it. But of course it has been furiously denied.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Heard his morning, the Scherzo from Hans Rott's Symphony no.1 in E major. This was the first time I have heard this and rather a nice discovery.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Today's feature (I'm in the next room trying to do something else) is the slow movement of the C. de A. (mispronounced by Rob, I'm afraid our Spanish lessons have stalled rather). Someone, as if to demonstrate vinteuil's Readers Digest man's point, wanted something with the same hot languid feel to the music . Apparently everyone wrote in asking for the unspeakably ghastly Miles Davis version, which is playing now.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Today's feature (I'm in the next room trying to do something else) is the slow movement of the C. de A. (mispronounced by Rob, I'm afraid our Spanish lessons have stalled rather). Someone, as if to demonstrate vinteuil's Readers Digest man's point, wanted something with the same hot languid feel to the music . Apparently everyone wrote in asking for the unspeakably ghastly Miles Davis version, which is playing now.
              And RC forestalled the inevitable "rest of the concerto" replies by insisting the listener choose something else.

I really cannot see the point of this feature unless its just to get any kind of response from listeners to prove er....well, what exactly? Oh look we're getting feedback isn't that lovely. It doesn't enhance the music played - the same old 100 best tunes playlist - and the choice of "follow on" is, in most part, inconsequential.
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                The made-up tweet from Mrs Trellis was intended to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, but my suspicions about the rest of it remain. I don't think pre-choosing a piece which is likely to attract support anyway is really akin to a rigged competition, so I see no reason why they might not do it. But of course it has been furiously denied.
                I can't fathom what the purpose of the feature is. It isn't as if the suggestions seem to fit into any lovingly curated playlist. Why would anyone want to listen to Miles Davis playing a bit of the Concierto de Aranjuez between Shostakovich and Vivaldi?

[Is the playlist right? Did Julian Bream play the 2nd movement twice, both times with the CBSO and Rattle? And why is Andrei Yakovlevich Eshpai cited as Андрей Яковлевич Эшпай ? Automation, presumably]
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                  • Nov 2010

I didn't hang about to listen to the "choice" which would appear to have been the Miles Davis version - a version that RC, I know, is particularly fond of as he has played it a number of times on his programmes. Makes you wonder if that was going to be the "choice" all along and serendipitously a listener suggested it.

I would have thought that if you liked guitar concertos it would have been a perfect opportunity to play the Arnold Guitar Concerto. Maybe someone suggested it. Who knows? Who cares?
                  O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I can't fathom what the purpose of the feature is. It isn't as if the suggestions seem to fit into any lovingly curated playlist. Why would anyone want to listen to Miles Davis playing a bit of the Concierto de Aranjuez between Shostakovich and Vivaldi?

[Is the playlist right? Did Julian Bream play the 2nd movement twice, both times with the CBSO and Rattle? And why is Andrei Yakovlevich Eshpai cited as Андрей Яковлевич Эшпай ? Automation, presumably]
                    Wasn't listening, only came in towards the end. Nice to choose that version, JB's last (his version with JEG/Monteverdi Orch made the shortlist on the Tom McKinney BAL).

The question to ask re the Miles Davis is why would anyone want to listen to it at all.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Wasn't listening, only came in towards the end. Nice to choose that version, JB's last (his version with JEG/Monteverdi Orch made the shortlist on the Tom McKinney BAL).

The question to ask re the Miles Davis is why would anyone want to listen to it at all.
                      Ouch!

Indeed people do enjoy listening to the Miles Davis. I am one of them and greatly admire the Davis's version of the Adagio movement of Concierto de Aranjuez from his album Sketches of Spain! In fact I love it!
                      Last edited by Stanfordian; 17-11-17, 17:07.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Ouch!

Indeed people do want to listen to the Miles Davis. I am one of them and greatly admire the Davis version!

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... a pedant wonders whether it shd be "vinteuil's Reader's Digest's man's point" ...

apostrophe's - don'tcha love 'em?!!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Indeed people do enjoy listening to the Miles Davis. I am one of them and greatly admire the Davis version! [/QUOTE]

You are not alone....!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              Indeed people do enjoy listening to the Miles Davis. I am one of them and greatly admire the Davis version!

You are not alone....!
                              I just can't fathom what sort of role music plays in their lives if people are happy to hear short bursts of just anything all jumbled up together; and really they don't dislike anything as long as it's, you know, music.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I just can't fathom what sort of role music plays in their lives if people are happy to hear short bursts of just anything all jumbled up together; and really they don't dislike anything as long as it's, you know, music.
                                Hiya french frank,

I was referring to the actual work by Miles Davis certainly not the way it was presented on R3. To play a short burst or bleeding chunk would be a travesty.

Comment

Working...
                                X