• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    (* - I notice that R6 has a piece by Teleman on this morning's playlist, so perhaps I'm wrong! )
    My understanding is that there is that attempt by those who 'like classical music' and have appeared in one guise or another on R3 because they 'like classical music' (Mary Anne Hobbs, Elizabeth Alker, Stuart Maconie, Cerys Matthews). And my point is that if they shove in the odd classical track on 6 Music, that's just tokenism.

Either these aforementioned presenters have a classical music slot, or they do as you suggest: "their attitude is (absolutely rightly, I think) "this is what we play; this is where we are if you want to listen to it - as you are very welcome to do." In which case R3 does the same and doesn't mix and match classical + musicals + pop &c: it says a classical programme plays classical music, jazz plays jazz, world plays world. And axe all the mixed genre programming. And stop bringing 6 Music/R2/CFM presenters to R3 in the hope they'll drag their fans over with them. They don't: they make fun of Radio 3 and its programmes (and listeners, if it comes to that).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      And my point is that if they shove in the odd classical track on 6 Music, that's just tokenism.
      They don't (AFAIK) - Teleman is the name of a contemporary popular beat combo, m'lud (just as if R2 plays something by Engelbert Humperdinck, it's probably not going to be something from Konigskinder).
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

My understanding is that there is that attempt by those who 'like classical music' and have appeared in one guise or another on R3 because they 'like classical music' (Mary Anne Hobbs, Elizabeth Alker, Stuart Maconie, Cerys Matthews). And my point is that if they shove in the odd classical track on 6 Music, that's just tokenism.

Either these aforementioned presenters have a classical music slot, or they do as you suggest: "their attitude is (absolutely rightly, I think) "this is what we play; this is where we are if you want to listen to it - as you are very welcome to do." In which case R3 does the same and doesn't mix and match classical + musicals + pop &c: it says a classical programme plays classical music, jazz plays jazz, world plays world. And axe all the mixed genre programming. And stop bringing 6 Music/R2/CFM presenters to R3 in the hope they'll drag their fans over with them. They don't: they make fun of Radio 3 and its programmes (and listeners, if it comes to that).
        Quite right -if BBC accepts that policy for R6 why can't it apply it to R3. Get back to playing proper music without the gimmicks AND BAN BLEEDING CHUNKS.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

......... They don't: they make fun of Radio 3 and its programmes (and listeners, if it comes to that).
          Do they really ... ????

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Suzy said "The only wrong answer is 'the rest of the concerto'."

Another golden opportunity for wrong answers today .... I have done my bit for completeness .....

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

She got her retaliation in first today by warning us at the outset that ‘the rest of the symphony’ was not an acceptable answer.
              We’ve got under teacher’s skin.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                She got her retaliation in first today by warning us at the outset that ‘the rest of the symphony’ was not an acceptable answer.
                Oh Good ....

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Do they really ... ????
                  Currently at work. Chapter and verse to follow
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

And stop bringing 6 Music/R2/CFM presenters to R3 in the hope they'll drag their fans over with them. They don't: they make fun of Radio 3 and its programmes (and listeners, if it comes to that).
                    How odd. Are these presenters making fun of Radio 3 while broadcasting on 3 or when they are back on their home turf so to speak? Still odd - talk about biting the hand that feeds!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      How odd. Are these presenters making fun of Radio 3 while broadcasting on 3 or when they are back on their home turf so to speak? Still odd - talk about biting the hand that feeds!
                      Confused grammar: the 2nd 'they' referred to the fans, the potential new audience, not the presenters. Apologies for the slander

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Odd really, because daytime 6 music is distinctly conservative in its output.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Really ? And might you not say the same thing about other groups/age demographics ?

Many peoples taste widens as they get older, and I mean into middle age, not just into their twenties, thirties etc.
                          Indeed, TS. I remember once reading somewhere that the formation of a person's tastes and opinions is normally fully fixed by the age of 38, and thinking, that must mean I am retarded!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                            Soon they'll be giving us a multiple choice list of acceptable answers.

Oh, wait! They've already done that with the recent "vote for an opera".

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Furthermore, bullying the audience isn't going to work. She tried that when she called us "snobs" pre-Ibiza Night, before anyone had said anything.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Furthermore, bullying the audience isn't going to work. She tried that when she called us "snobs" pre-Ibiza Night, before anyone had said anything.
                                The intrusion of these presenter-led diversions is part of the reason I wasn't listening at the time but I am sorry to have missed the comment and the grumpy put-down. If I had been listening I might have got the CD out and played the last movement for my own satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X