X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The current gimmick, to get people to text/tweet/email/phone to get their name read out over the airwaves, is nominating a "companion piece" to play after a famous work. Today it was the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto. I'm afraid the instantly entered my brain, and I suggested the finale of the same work as the ideal companion piece.

I was in a hurry to go for a run with a friend, so didn't have time to say what I really thought. Another day ...

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      The current gimmick, to get people to text/tweet/email/phone to get their name read out over the airwaves, is nominating a "companion piece" to play after a famous work. Today it was the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto. I'm afraid the instantly entered my brain, and I suggested the finale of the same work as the ideal companion piece.

I was in a hurry to go for a run with a friend, so didn't have time to say what I really thought. Another day ...
      Great post Eine Alpensinfonie. I just can't listen to R3 and its type of nonsense anymore.
      Last edited by Stanfordian; 09-11-17, 16:17.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Today it was the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto. I'm afraid the instantly entered my brain, and I suggested the finale of the same work as the ideal companion piece.

So it was you EA?
        You should have stayed for the ensuing slating.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Was your second choice the first movement?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
            So it was you EA?
            You should have stayed for the ensuing slating.
            Suzy said "The only wrong answer is 'the rest of the concerto'."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Nice one, Alps
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Oh the power of the Radio Presenter, only to be beaten by our ability to press the off switch.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

No explanation beyond that then, I take it?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Hiya Serial_Apologist.

I suppose the presenters are being paid no matter what rubbish they read out and childish initiatives they push.

I hate being so negative but I can see that R3 management are ruining this once wonderful Radio Station. Eeeeee, those were the days!

Attracting new listeners to 'classical music' is more than playing bleeding chunks and promoting participation in competitions.
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 09-11-17, 16:39.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      iativ

Hiya Serial_Apologist.

I suppose the presenters are being paid no matter what rubbish they read out and childish initiatives they push.
                      But she didn't explain why the only possible answer was incorrect, was what I was thinking!

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Indeed there was, S_A. Whether you or EA would accept it is doubtful since the explanation given did not address the issue of 'full works' as 'we' know it. SK wanted to use the chosen piece as a starter for as many different ideas as possible from as many listeners as possible in order to expand the number of possible solutions. EA was putting a spanner in the 'works' which seemed to annoy Suzy. Having been a teacher, I'm sure EA knows well the smart alec effect on both teacher and class.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

EA was putting a spanner in the 'works' which seemed to annoy Suzy.
                          Easily done. (Not that that should deter us. )
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

I laughed, EA.........they still don't get it about bleeding chunks, do they?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Whether you or EA would accept it is doubtful since the explanation given did not address the issue of 'full works' as 'we' know it. SK wanted to use the chosen piece as a starter for as many different ideas as possible from as many listeners as possible
                              Which also explains why they used that nasty Pletnev recording of K331 - because it cut out all the Mvt 1 repeats and thus came in at under 14 mins instead of 22-23. The only 'companion pieces' whose relevance didn't completely elude me were a Schubert Rondo (the 'alla turca' mvt being a rondo) and … Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia perhaps (Turkey-Asia?). Might just as well have chosen something Christmassy.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Rcartes
                                • Feb 2011

Another aspect of this is the substitution for the early evening repeat of Composer of the Week by a further half-hour's wittering and - which is what I wanted to discuss - In Tune's "specially curated" playlist, which seems to be simply another 30 minutes of totally random bits. Take Monday's offering for example: a movement dragged out of Dvorak's American quartet, the whole 3 minutes (whoopee!) of Duke Ellington's Don't Get Around Much Any More, the 4th movement of Beethoven's 1st symphony, another little chunk cut out of Monteverdi's Vespers, and so on and on. What on earth were we supposed to get out of that? What, exactly, was specially curated" there? Of course, you know to expect when the word "curated" is used in this kind of context: bollox, no less.

I really am getting fed up with this stuff, as Stanfordian says, it makes it difficult to impossible to listen to Radio 3 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X