• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... Cowan AND Robinson. My worst nightmare.
    About ten years ago, Radio 3 seemed to have employed someone who thinks that comedians make Radio 3 and classical music - fun. This reached its height with a Christmas panel quiz (laugh track added) in which four comedians were asked questions about (arts and) classical music and - none of them knew the answer, so they made up funny stories.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      And don't forget to play some Charlie Parker whilst enjoying the vodka. Bee-bop Beluga.
      I nominate for Pun of the Day!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        I am sure the mass of Forumites listening all correctly identified today's #BrainTeezer .... ????
        I reckon the AAphiles should set them - or maybe not ....

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
          That's Sir Baldrick to you!
          Well he's certainly not got much hair these days but I thought his name was Tony.

Comment

• peterthekeys
            • Aug 2014

I turned on the radio this morning and actually had to check that I hadn't accidentally tuned to R2. Apparently what was coming out of the radio was part of the music which was used in the opening ceremony of the London olympics (using the term "music" in the widest possible sense.) It seems to me that both "Essential" and "Classics" seem to become ever less descriptive of this programme's content.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

Memo to Rob:
                Whenever you say "Can you guess who this music is by? It's by one of my favourite composers." The answer is always going to be Reger.
                And the concept of playing Opus 111's of various composers as some kind of "link" is naff, inconsequential and lazy. One may just as well construct a whole new programme which meandered through the repertoire, Today: Opus 1, Tomorrow: Opus 2 etc etc etc und so weiter.....
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• peterthekeys
                  • Aug 2014

Griffes

Listening to Friday's programme, I was surprised and delighted to hear two pieces by Charles Griffes - The White Peacock and Clouds.

But, as they ended, and I was musing on the excellence of Garrick Ohlsson's performances, I was rudely brought back to earth by Rob's querulous tones: "Sounds like a cross between Debussy and Scriabin".

Actually, Griffes sounds like Griffes (I can speak with some authority, having a few years ago given a lecture recital comparing Griffes and William Baines.) Undoubtedly he admired both Debussy and Scriabin - but his music doesn't sound like their music any more than Nielsen sounds like Brahms.

I do so wish that presenters would confine themselves to presenting.

BTW - if anyone found their tastebuds tickled by the Griffes - try the Sonata. One of the most astounding pieces ever written.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                    Listening to Friday's programme, I was surprised and delighted to hear two pieces by Charles Griffes - The White Peacock and Clouds.

But, as they ended, and I was musing on the excellence of Garrick Ohlsson's performances, I was rudely brought back to earth by Rob's querulous tones: "Sounds like a cross between Debussy and Scriabin".

Actually, Griffes sounds like Griffes (I can speak with some authority, having a few years ago given a lecture recital comparing Griffes and William Baines.) Undoubtedly he admired both Debussy and Scriabin - but his music doesn't sound like their music any more than Nielsen sounds like Brahms.

I do so wish that presenters would confine themselves to presenting.

BTW - if anyone found their tastebuds tickled by the Griffes - try the Sonata. One of the most astounding pieces ever written.
                    Thanks, ptk - I'll give the link below a try later:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Thanks, ptk - I'll give the link below a try later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAlQM-p42k
                      That's an incredible piece of music,thanks ptk and S_A

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Serendipity on a dreich day. Listening to EC, 1 Feb '17, I came to a standstill tackling daily chores enticed by the lived-in voice of this week's guest, broadcast journalist, Hugh Sykes, talking about his vast experience in this troubled world - so fluent, articulate and engaging. I'll certainly return to the ipod later this week for edification.

However, the real teaser,today, was the performance of Tchai 6, CSO/Solti, a further case of memory unfurls! YES, a Proms performance in the late 70s with the same forces which I attended but instinctively sensed something special, apart from hearing this remarkable orchestra 'live' for the first time and a sense of anticipation in the Hall from the start of the evening. Muttering to myself as brochures and programmes were strewn in every direction. Of course, of course, it was the performance of Tippett's Sym 4 and the frisson of the 'breathing noises' in the vast auditorium, explosively tensely good. Prom 42, Monday, 4 Sept 1978. Prom 43, same team, gave us Beet 1 & Bruckner 7. The players mesmerised by the exceptional ovation on both nights. Can't recall seeing them again until the autumn of '81 with Solti conducting Mahler 9 at the RFH.

Refreshed my mind on Tippett 4 by browsing his 1991 biography, Those 20th Century Blues, for further enlightenment. MT continues, "...I went to the BBC radiophonic workshop and a tape of breathing noises was produced, which was useful, if anonymous, only recently, in experiments with the latest 'sampling' techniques in the Greenwich Village of the rock music producer, Mike Thorne, have the potential variety and flexibility of the breathing effects come to fruition...." Today with computer genetic effects at the ready, its probably available at the press of a button.

From the late 70s, Solti's London engagements decreased although I recall his magnetic concert performances with the LPO, at the RFH; two platform performances of Das Rheingold, 18 & 20 March, 1980. Cast included Teresa Cahill, Helena Dose, Birgit Finnila, Gillian Knight, Josephine Veasey, Norman Bailey, Hermann Becht, Paul Crook, Aage Haugland, Gwynne Howell, Neil Howlett, Anthony Rolfe Johnson and Robert Tear. Vivid memories and I'm already primed for the Opera North performance of Das Rheingold, BBC 4, 12 February.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                          Serendipity on a dreich day. Listening to EC, 1 Feb '17, I came to a standstill tackling daily chores enticed by the lived-in voice of this week's guest, broadcast journalist, Hugh Sykes, talking about his vast experience in this troubled world - so fluent, articulate and engaging. I'll certainly return to the ipod later this week for edification.

However, the real teaser,today, was the performance of Tchai 6, CSO/Solti, a further case of memory unfurls! YES, a Proms performance in the late 70s with the same forces which I attended but instinctively sensed something special, apart from hearing this remarkable orchestra 'live' for the first time and a sense of anticipation in the Hall from the start of the evening. Muttering to myself as brochures and programmes were strewn in every direction. Of course, of course, it was the performance of Tippett's Sym 4 and the frisson of the 'breathing noises' in the vast auditorium, explosively tensely good. Prom 42, Monday, 4 Sept 1978. Prom 43, same team, gave us Beet 1 & Bruckner 7. The players mesmerised by the exceptional ovation on both nights. Can't recall seeing them again until the autumn of '81 with Solti conducting Mahler 9 at the RFH.

Refreshed my mind on Tippett 4 by browsing his 1991 biography, Those 20th Century Blues, for further enlightenment. MT continues, "...I went to the BBC radiophonic workshop and a tape of breathing noises was produced, which was useful, if anonymous, only recently, in experiments with the latest 'sampling' techniques in the Greenwich Village of the rock music producer, Mike Thorne, have the potential variety and flexibility of the breathing effects come to fruition...." Today with computer genetic effects at the ready, its probably available at the press of a button.

From the late 70s, Solti's London engagements decreased although I recall his magnetic concert performances with the LPO, at the RFH; two platform performances of Das Rheingold, 18 & 20 March, 1980. Cast included Teresa Cahill, Helena Dose, Birgit Finnila, Gillian Knight, Josephine Veasey, Norman Bailey, Hermann Becht, Paul Crook, Aage Haugland, Gwynne Howell, Neil Howlett, Anthony Rolfe Johnson and Robert Tear. Vivid memories and I'm already primed for the Opera North performance of Das Rheingold, BBC 4, 12 February.
                          I agree with you about Hugh Sykes and your comments on Solti lead to me once again regret never seeing the great man!

Comment

• Lawrence
                            • May 2015

For me there is absolutely no way that I would ever consider Anne Boyd's "As I crossed a Bridge of Dreams", the last item on today's programme, an "Essential Classic".

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

The serendipity somewhat clouded for me by the image of the cardboard box over the head, which together with the other comments relating to that incident, are still going round in my mind.
                              My morning was made by hearing Finzi's Magnificat. Singing it a few years ago was a joyful and memorable occasion, and each time I hear it I am struck by the quiet Amen, rather than the rousing approach which seems the more usual choice by composers.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                                • Aug 2015

Beecham is to be Artist of the Week or some such.

I don't often listen to EC but for this reason I will be tuning in at the appropriate times.

Comment

Working...
                                X