• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    . . . & RC isn't a good presenter.
    But that's just the point. He IS a good presenter when he works within a good format. Many of us here thought so when he presented CD Masters.

On the BBC Messageboards, a few people actually complained that we revered him too much.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      But that's just the point. He IS a good presenter when he works within a good format. Many of us here thought so when he presented CD Masters.
      I agree and he still is good at presenting the CD Masters bit on EC and not the silly quizzes and celeb interviews. As is SW!

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

I switched on at 9.40.
        A tune was then played backwards.
        We were invited to e-mail/tweet the name of the piece.
        It was sickening.
        I switched off.
        Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,

I can't stand it either. All this inane interaction with the audience. The BBC management is ruining a wonderful radio station. I recall Arthur Butterworth saying to me a few months before he died that the live concerts had reduced in quality over the years; but he went back in years much further than me.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

On the BBC Messageboards, a few people actually complained that we revered him too much.
          ... indeed I did

He's obviously better doing things like BaL - but even there I feel he has limitations : he adores his 1950s and 1960s recordings (you feel he thinks nothing since really compares), and is not particularly comfortable negotiating HIPP.

Sadly I think he rather enjoys his current cuddly role. For me it's a literal 'turn off'.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... indeed I did

He's obviously better doing things like BaL - but even there I feel he has limitations : he adores his 1950s and 1960s recordings (you feel he thinks nothing since really compares), and is not particularly comfortable negotiating HIPP.

Sadly I think he rather enjoys his current cuddly role. For me it's a literal 'turn off'.
            Seconded ....

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              I recall Arthur Butterworth saying to me a few months before he died that the live concerts had reduced in quality over the years; but he went back in years much further than me.
              Interested you were in contact with Arthur - so was I. He contacted us first to express his sadness at the way Radio 3 had declined. And about other things I was glad that he told us about his (final) symphony and we were able to send congratulations and good wishes when it was premiered.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                I'm with you floss ....
                Moi aussi. The other thing In Tune does which other programmes don't do is flag up performances which are coming along. This may be helpful for some music societies, where performers are booked to give concerts at (arguably more) prestigious locations, such as Wigmore Hall around the same time as the performers are booked to perform for local societies.

I think that it may even be possible to notify In Tune of these other concerts, which may somehow then benefit from promotion, either on air, or on a website. This can help the performers and also the concert society promoters, which in days of local music societies struggling to maintain membership is very useful - assuming that this form of cultural awareness is still valued.

Re RC - I find that I often don't agree with him, and he is somewhat challenged in the HIPP department. I don't always want to listen to a "marvellous" performance by some obscure Pre War (which one?) conductor recorded on 78s. There are some very good up to date performances by current generations of performers recorded in very much better sound quality - though I do accept the point that I'd perhaps rather hear a superb performance in poorish sound, than a dull one in hi-fi. Sometimes this can be a real challenge though - such as performances of works conducted by Mravinsky, which are not only rather challenged in the audio department, but have audiences (often from Moscow) who sound as though they are in the middle of a cold or flu epidemic. I think Golovanov is another of RC's enthusiasms - really weird and erratic conducting.

Comment

• zola
                  • May 2011

Add me to those who find RC's anorak approach makes me reach for the off switch. But I would rather not listen to him doing something like CD Masters than not listen to him doing what he now does.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Interested you were in contact with Arthur - so was I. He contacted us first to express his sadness at the way Radio 3 had declined. And about other things I was glad that he told us about his (final) symphony and we were able to send congratulations and good wishes when it was premiered.
                    Hiya Frank,

In a long 2 hour or so interview at his home Arthur told me that he felt let down by certain people (I best not mention the name of main protagonist) who didn't treat him or his music with the respect he felt it deserved. A day later his new symphony was being premiered locally but this event was not widely disseminated. I don't think the BBC were involved at all. In my view Arthur was not the best at self publicity. In truth his music was unfashionable.
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 01-02-16, 15:04.

Comment

• peterthekeys
                      • Aug 2014

Libby Larsen

Did anyone else catch "Deep Summer Music" by Libby Larsen this morning? (It was slotted in between two clues in the "challenge" - BTW, I suppose I should come clean and admit that I have - very occasionally - been tempted into texting the answer )

It struck me as a wonderful piece - very imaginative and original, but also attractive and elegant on first hearing. I'd never heard of her! I see from her web site that she has over 500 works to her credit so far:

Libby Larson is a Grammy award-winning American composer. She has created a catalog of over 500 works spanning virtually every genre.

Definitely intend to investigate further ...
                      Last edited by peterthekeys; 01-02-16, 13:02.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        Sadly I think he rather enjoys his current cuddly role.
                        Quite. Listening to him yesterday morning on Sunday Morning, it struck me how much he loves reading out emails and tweets, no matter how banal. He's not doing it under protest.

Comment

• peterthekeys
                          • Aug 2014

Just listening to Private Passions this lunchtime, it struck me that - supposing it likely - if RC considered reviewing his interviewing style and technique, he could do a lot worse than try to emulate Michael Berkeley: to me anyway, he always seems to hit just the right note - not criticism, not sympathy, just friendly and encouraging impartiality.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                            Just listening to Private Passions this lunchtime, it struck me that - supposing it likely - if RC considered reviewing his interviewing style and technique, he could do a lot worse than try to emulate Michael Berkeley: to me anyway, he always seems to hit just the right note - not criticism, not sympathy, just friendly and encouraging impartiality.
                            Yes, I've always regarded Michael Berkeley as a model of civil rectumtude.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Yes, I've always regarded Michael Berkeley as a model of civil rectumtude.
                              What if anything should be read into the croos-bencher status of Michael Fitzhardinge Berkeley, Baron Berkeley of Knighton, CBE, since he followed his godfather into that august institution the House of Lords?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                What if anything should be read into the croos-bencher status of Michael Fitzhardinge Berkeley, Baron Berkeley of Knighton, CBE, since he followed his godfather into that august institution the House of Lords?
                                Hello AH,

You can't beat a Baron or some other ennobled personage presenting our BBC radio shows especially the proper hereditary types. I don't know whether to bow, kneel or stand. I bet Germany and their satellites are dead jealous of us ere!
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 09-02-16, 13:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X