X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisBennell
    • Sep 2014

Next Thursday 7th Jan - according to the Radio Times -

"Rob investigates the Renaissance period with the help of a recording by the musician and early music expert David Munrow"

Is this a sign that things are looking up?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
      "Rob investigates the Renaissance period with the help of a recording by the musician and early music expert David Munrow"

Is this a sign that things are looking up?
      Certainly keeping Rob on his toes - guest Roxanna Panufnik speaking about one of her own works, followed by a feature on David Munrow.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Certainly keeping Rob on his toes - guest Roxanna Panufnik speaking about one of her own works, followed by a feature on David Munrow.
        And two "cutting edges"...

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
          And two "cutting edges"...
          Well, the excerpts that S M-P announces as "cutting edge" in that oft-repeated advert sounds like the kind of thing I was listening to on ECM 30 years ago.
          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

LOL - another 'music backwards' piece that sounds almost identical backwards as forwards

Just working on a "suggestion to email" in - trying to make sure it's anatomically feasible...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              LOL - another 'music backwards' piece that sounds almost identical backwards as forwards
              I am two rooms away from the radio - we keep the music on in the kitchen just to keep the sprouts happy - and I just heard at the extremity of my hearing what I assumed was RC's little quiz. I thought "Rite of Spring innit" and surely he isn't asking "what is this piece played backward"?

Oh lordy, lordy!
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Some excellent Bartok recordings this morning, plus an extra dollop of Miraculous Mandarin via that dreadful mish-mash of undigested Copland, Britten, Bartok et al, The Confession of Isobel Gowdie.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Some excellent Bartok recordings this morning, plus an extra dollop of Miraculous Mandarin via that dreadful mish-mash of undigested Copland, Britten, Bartok et al, The Confession of Isobel Gowdie.
                  Yes - I have previously thought quite highly of JMacM's early scores (in contrast to the dreary rewritings of them that has been his subsequent output) but hearing this this morning changed my attitude: a miss-mash of El Salon Mexico, the string writing from Phaedra and all the emotional intellect of a three-year-old throwing a strop. An inadequate response to the horrific events which "inspired" its composition, I felt.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

"My favourite... British light music. Throughout the week Rob shares some of his favourite light music by British composers. He features musical treats including Ronald Binge's classic Elizabethan Serenade …" Musical trites?

I don't even listen to the programme and I'm getting fed up with the obigatory photo of the bepullovered Rob hugging his guest. Not sure what emoticon to use ? or ?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Victor Meldrew II

Hurrah for British light music but for heaven's sake, please get RC off the bloody station!

"My favourite... British light music. Throughout the week Rob shares some of his favourite light music by British composers. He features musical treats including Ronald Binge's classic Elizabethan Serenade …" Musical trites?

I don't even listen to the programme and I'm getting fed up with the obigatory photo of the bepullovered Rob hugging his guest. Not sure what emoticon to use ? or ?

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Yes - I have previously thought quite highly of JMacM's early scores (in contrast to the dreary rewritings of them that has been his subsequent output) but hearing this this morning changed my attitude: a miss-mash of El Salon Mexico, the string writing from Phaedra and all the emotional intellect of a three-year-old throwing a strop. An inadequate response to the horrific events which "inspired" its composition, I felt.
                        Hmmm - and then there was the fourth symphony; what might you suppose to have happened to him and why?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Just as revenge is a dish best served cold (or so it is said), perhaps confessions are best left undigested (especially if some of them might risk causing indigestion)...

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

bepullovered
                            I'm trying to imagine him being pulled over on the M1 for speeding...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Hmmm - and then there was the fourth symphony; what might you suppose to have happened to him and why?
                              I don't know - it strikes me as a huge talent stretched beyond its means, and being commissioned far too often to enable him to "take stock" and contemplate how his skill might develop. He will, of course, be indifferent to criticism from a listener who does not share his general outlook - and he has admirers aplenty who are far more impressed with his work than I am (or have ever been); but I think that these very admirers have overburdened him, pressing his Music into a mould that does not allow movement into other ways of thinking; other means of expression.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Victor Meldrew II View Post
                                Hurrah for British light music
                                That might depend on the particular definition of "light" - or maybe "lite", in certain such cases - but in times gone by this kind of thing might have found its way onto what was then called the "Light Programme" and, since Radio 2 more or less replaced it almost half a century ago (and has survived as such for around twice as long as did its predecessor), the words writing and wall seem to spring unbidden to mind; I imagine that no such music found its way onto what was once the "Third Programme" and was rebranded as the present Radio 3 not long after the "Light Programme" morphed into Radio 2 and one might therefore wonder why some of it is finding its way there now. Somehow I am unconvinced that Boulez would have approved - but then I'm no fan of Binge listening, aural Wood-chips (be they Haydnesque or Arthurian) or Torch-carrying for Sidney myself and would likely be found Curzon were R3 to make this a habit, even if only on Inessential Crass-ics.

I'll get me Coates...

Comment

Working...
                                X