X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Exactly the same thought occurred to me when I heard the advertrailer.

Well, no - because Stockhausen's Music isn't "difficult". I think it just means "this is what R3 thinks the majority of its audience thinks of as 'Music of our time'" ... which may be right. As long as it gets that perceived audience listening to Stockhausen (and realizing that it isn't "difficult") then fair dos (?"does"?? "do-es"??? "di"????). With a bit of luck, it might even mean we get to hear genuine "Music of today" before the "Late Saturday Night" slot.
    It's all of a piece with Schönberg, Bartók, Ives and some of their contemporaries still being regarded in some circles as "modern music", the sheer absurdity of which speaks for itself.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Maybe it is music of our time in that it was written, performed and broadcast in 'our' lifetime. Does that count?
      Only for those d'un certain age, methinks...

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

I don't think 'difficult' is intrinsic to the music, it's a 'mindset'. No music is difficult, unless you want it to be.

IMV, difficult often means "this music does not go where I expect music to go, things don't follow on as they 'should'. I don't feel comfortable listening to music that does not conform to my expectation. I'm frustrated that I can't call it rock or something else and forget about it, because it's composed by people from the 'classical tradition' and often orchestras are used".
        Absolutely spot on, on all counts! - except, perhaps, that in some senses Schönberg's D minor string quartet and Erwartung might arguably be regarded as intrinsically "difficult" yet those difficulties dissolve imeediately for the listener who is engaged and moved by them such that any and all of their technical complexities seem to be of little or no consequence.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          It's all of a piece with Schönberg, Bartók, Ives and some of their contemporaries still being regarded in some circles as "modern music", the sheer absurdity of which speaks for itself.

I don't think 'difficult' is intrinsic to the music, it's a 'mindset'. No music is difficult, unless you want it to be.

IMV, difficult often means "this music does not go where I expect music to go, things don't follow on as they 'should'. I don't feel comfortable listening to music that does not conform to my expectation. I'm frustrated that I can't call it rock or something else and forget about it, because it's composed by people from the 'classical tradition' and often orchestras are used".
          - and, of course, Stockhausen is very much part of "the 'classical tradition'".
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            I still think of Schoenberg's or Stockhausen's music as being more "modern" than for example Malcolm Arnold's, in the same way I think of Bauhaus furniture of the 1920s as being more modern than reproduction early 19th century-style furniture being made today. I would replace "difficulty" with "complexity" because coming to terms with the complexities of everyday living today as expressed by the music of Elliott Carter because (as he said) it expresses those complexities in its technical details and the way they try and express outer complexities and the complexity of our psychology in response, is not the same as accepting that life has to be complex.

Comment

• Lento
              • Jan 2014

Does atonal music not present more of a challenge to many of us who were not brought up to it? Certainly does in my case: which is not a judgement on the music, except to say that, for me, and I suspect many others, much of it is more difficult. One could argue that nothing is difficult until perceived as such by a living being!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lento View Post
                One could argue that nothing is difficult until perceived as such by a living being!
                If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lento View Post
                  Does atonal music not present more of a challenge to many of us who were not brought up to it? Certainly does in my case: which is not a judgement on the music, except to say that, for me, and I suspect many others, much of it is more difficult.
                  I agree - with the proviso that, if you substitute "Classical" (or "Operatic" or "Gagaku", or ... ) for "Atonal", then this is statement is also true. Because, as you say ..

One could argue that nothing is difficult until perceived as such by a living being!
                  I would also add that "difficult" isn't necessarily a negative feature ("difficult is good" - Stephen Sondheim) - there's a lot of Music that I love more than any other that challenges my understanding. I've spent twenty years listening and analysing Debussy's Sonata for Flute, Harp & Viola - I think I've cracked the First movement. At this rate, in eighty years' time, I'll be ready to start work on Jeux!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I agree - with the proviso that, if you substitute "Classical" (or "Operatic" or "Gagaku", or ... ) for "Atonal", then this is statement is also true. Because, as you say ..

I would also add that "difficult" isn't necessarily a negative feature ("difficult is good" - Stephen Sondheim) - there's a lot of Music that I love more than any other that challenges my understanding. I've spent twenty years listening and analysing Debussy's Sonata for Flute, Harp & Viola - I think I've cracked the First movement. At this rate, in eighty years' time, I'll be ready to start work on Jeux!
                    To quote Lou Reed's widow, "Now, difficult listening hour".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I'm sure Boulez would be your best guide on Jeux, ferney - but possibly not in eighty years' time!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        To quote Lou Reed's widow, "Now, difficult listening hour".

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I'm sure Boulez would be your best guide on Jeux, ferney - but possibly not in eighty years' time!
                        - both the recordings, too! It is a miraculous piece: quite as astonishing as its more famous contemporary, Le Sacre.

Comment

• Lento
                          • Jan 2014

I agree - with the proviso that, if you substitute "Classical" (or "Operatic" or "Gagaku", or ... ) for "Atonal", then this is statement is also true.
                          I suspect that music such as Boulez may make a less challenging first impression on those who have not been raised in a primarily Western Classical (or indeed Western popular) musical environment.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
                            It's difficult to conceive of a forest where there won't be some ears (or more primitive vibration sensors?) around to notice!

Or does the fact that the attached brains can't say "I definitely heard a sound" disqualify it from being a sound?
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Philosophers have long argued that sound, colour, taste, smell and touch, exist only in our minds. We have little basis for our assumption that these qualities represent reality as it really is. So, if we interpret the word ‘sound’ to mean a human experience, then the falling tree really is silent.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                Thanks vinteuil, I nearly understood that...

But now I'm worried that seismometers cause earthquakes

...but maybe only on the other side of the universe?

[Yes, OK, I do appreciate that we are dealing with rather different scales here]
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X