X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Maestro Honeck does not appear to have recorded any Copland so my hopes are high for the later part of tomorrow's programme... Indeed, a rather grown-up item is listed:

Braunfels
    Benedictus (Grosse Messe, Op.37)

Simone Schneider (soprano)
    Stuttgart State Opera Chorus
    Stuttgart State Orchestra
    Manfred Honeck (conductor)

If there are any Braunfels sites we should quickly start building on them.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
      Beethoven 7 today. Sounded good to me. I've enjoyed what I've heard of the Honeck recordings this week.
      He seemed to slam on the brakes for a slow and ponderously stately trio section in the 3rd movement. I had a listen to Toscanini - who I believe observes Beethoven's much-discussed metronome markings - afterwards. He dances through it on tiptoe.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
        Beethoven 7 today. Sounded good to me. I've enjoyed what I've heard of the Honeck recordings this week.
        Hiya hmvmann,

That new Honeck recording of the Beethoven symphonies 5 & 7 with the Pittsburgh SO on the Reference Recordings label is stunning and just has to be one of my Records of the Year. There will nearly always be different approaches taken over aspects of their work by various conductors and that doesn't bother me. I welcome it!
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 27-11-15, 23:19.

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Hiya hmvmann,

That new Honeck recording of the Beethoven symphonies 5 & 7 with the Pittsburgh SO on the Reference Recordings label is stunning and just has to be one of my Records of the Year. There will nearly always be different approaches taken over aspects of ther work by various conductors and that doesn't bother.
          Thanks, Stanfordian. I think I need to have a proper listen to the 7 again via iPlayer.

The different approaches to musical works is one of the great joys of life!

Have a great weekend.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            That new Honeck recording of the Beethoven symphonies 5 & 7 with the Pittsburgh SO on the Reference Recordings label is stunning and just has to be one of my Records of the Year. There will nearly always be different approaches taken over aspects of their work by various conductors and that doesn't bother me.
            Agreed. There are moments when I'm taken aback by what he does, but there's no denying the overall musical intelligence behind the interpretation. Performance and recording are exemplary.

Comment

• Rex Bartlett
              • Dec 2015

Sweet Jesus the 'music backwards' game is f***ing* pathetic ! What is the point?! That bit of Vltava sounds the same backwards as forwards! I can't work out who is humiliated more by it - poor Rob Cowan who has to read it out and encourage people to have a another go if they thought 'Peer Gynt' first time, the producers who foist it on him, or people listening in who "tweetortext"...

Can't believe this hasn't been discreetly junked along with some of the other morning crap.

*flaming
              Well I absolutely love the 9.30am Brain Teaser question. So there!

I've had my name read out 3 times (so far) and am as insensed as you when my genius goes unacknowledged.

And I'm particularly fond of the Music Played Backwards question because on the rare occasion when it's not bleeding obvious, I can and do cheat. I was particularly red faced when on one occasion I was the only person in the land to get it right and the only person to have their name read out (together with toe-curling personal congratulations from Sarah) after I had recorded it and used my computer software to reverse it and hear it the right way round. Mind, it was a relatively obscure though possibly my favourite movement from a Mozart piano sonata that just happened to be open on my piano and which I had been serendipitously playing the evening before. Clearly my moment of fame just had to be. Even so, I'm pleased for this opportunity to confess.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rex Bartlett View Post
                Even so, I'm pleased for this opportunity to confess.
                Indeed, confession is good for the soul, RB - and welcome to the forum
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Indeed, confession is good for the soul, RB - and welcome to the forum
                  There are some things that should aways remain unspoken.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

I've had my name read out 3 times (so far) and am as insensed as you when my genius goes unacknowledged.

And I'm particularly fond of the Music Played Backwards question because on the rare occasion when it's not bleeding obvious, I can and do cheat. I was particularly red faced when on one occasion I was the only person in the land to get it right and the only person to have their name read out (together with toe-curling personal congratulations from Sarah) after I had recorded it and used my computer software to reverse it and hear it the right way round. Mind, it was a relatively obscure though possibly my favourite movement from a Mozart piano sonata that just happened to be open on my piano and which I had been serendipitously playing the evening before. Clearly my moment of fame just had to be. Even so, I'm pleased for this opportunity to confess.
                    Hiya Rex,

It takes all sorts!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Well I absolutely love the 9.30am Brain Teaser question.
                      Why?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Why?
                        I think someone may be pulling our chains...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I think someone may be pulling our chains...
                          Ah! Flushed with success, perhaps?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Or disposing of the sick bag?

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

It might be an appropriate economy in our cash-strapped times to merge it with the Music played Backwards thing, given that it's an anagram of "Reseat Brian"; then they could play some music by Brian (Ferneyhough) himself (preferably forwards), which I'm sure would please fhg who questions what you like about it...

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Or incisterns upon it?

Comment

Working...
                                X