Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

Me: "... knowing that most of them are skilled and knowledgeable musicians and musicologists in their own right, ..."

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    somewhat different skill sets required I wold have thought, PTK ?
    Oh, I don't know - I've known some brilliant musicians who were also excellent musicologists (my teacher at Huddersfield, Harold Truscott, for one: he was a superb pianist, and also had one of the most encyclopaedic and incisive musical minds which I've ever encountered (his book on the Beethoven string quartets is still an acknowledged authority.))

Thinking about it, I suppose that any musician worth their salt also needs to be a musicologist - to give a really good performance, a musician needs to understand the music he or she is playing.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
      Me: "... knowing that most of them are skilled and knowledgeable musicians and musicologists in their own right, ..."

Oh, I don't know - I've known some brilliant musicians who were also excellent musicologists (my teacher at Huddersfield, Harold Truscott, for one: he was a superb pianist, and also had one of the most encyclopaedic and incisive musical minds which I've ever encountered (his book on the Beethoven string quartets is still an acknowledged authority.))

Thinking about it, I suppose that any musician worth their salt also needs to be a musicologist - to give a really good performance, a musician needs to understand the music he or she is playing.
      sorry, we are slightly cross purpose I think here.
      I was suggesting that putting together and presenting a good radio programme requires a different skill set to being a performing musician or a musicologist. Some people of course might have the right skill sets for a combination of those three jobs.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

A very dreary in our time on R4 this morning led to me switching over for the first time in a while to be greeted by another execrable brainteaser which only a complete ignoramus would not have known that the answer was Delius . Even Cowan sounded embarrassed as he invited the audience to text in

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Sweet Jesus the 'music backwards' game is f***ing* pathetic ! What is the point?! That bit of Vltava sounds the same backwards as forwards! I can't work out who is humiliated more by it - poor Rob Cowan who has to read it out and encourage people to have a another go if they thought 'Peer Gynt' first time, the producers who foist it on him, or people listening in who "tweetortext"...

Can't believe this hasn't been discreetly junked along with some of the other morning crap.

*flaming
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Sweet Jesus the 'music backwards' game is f***ing* pathetic ! What is the point?! That bit of Vltava sounds the same backwards as forwards! I can't work out who is humiliated more by it - poor Rob Cowan who has to read it out and encourage people to have a another go if they thought 'Peer Gynt' first time, the producers who foist it on him, or people listening in who "tweetortext"...

Can't believe this hasn't been discreetly junked along with some of the other morning crap.

*flaming
            Hiya Caliban,

Well said Sir!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

... That bit of Vltava sounds the same backwards as forwards! ...
              I know we've had some unusual weather conditions in recent times, but a river flowing uphill?!

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

From #1608
                I was suggesting that putting together and presenting a good radio programme requires a different skill set to being a performing musician or a musicologist. Some people of course might have the right skill sets for a combination of those three jobs.
                David Munrow did a pretty good job as I remember?

but a river flowing uphill?!
                That's the magic combination of Mr Dyson and the Chelsea Flower Show I believe

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I know we've had some unusual weather conditions in recent times, but a river flowing uphill?!
                  I always feel that the St John's Rapids sound as though they are going uphill.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

*flaming
                    Objection M'lud - leading the forum ......

To be fair EC ended, IMVVHO, on a considerable high with all 66 minutes of Bruckner 4 and RC's version of choice Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh S O - wonderful stuff Rumpole as I drove through the North Durham hills .....

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post

To be fair EC ended, IMVVHO, on a considerable high with all 66 minutes of Bruckner 4 and RC's version of choice Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh S O - wonderful stuff Rumpole as I drove through the North Durham hills .....
                      ..and surely every chance of the next three eighths of the Quartet for the End of Time on tomorrows prog.

or not.
                      who knows?

maybe they will reverse time itself and play todays chunk backwards.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I adjusted my timing this morning to coincide with the Bruckner. It was very good.

The inanity of the 'game' made me see red an hour or so earlier. Still does! Why have that childishness?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

The inanity of the 'game' made me see red an hour or so earlier. Still does! Why have that childishness?
                          The Radio 3 Facebook page is equally simplistic and infantile.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I adjusted my timing this morning to coincide with the Bruckner. It was very good.

...... don't ask me dear boy .....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

...... don't ask me dear boy .....
                              Maestro Honeck does not appear to have recorded any Copland so my hopes are high for the later part of tomorrow's programme... Indeed, a rather grown-up item is listed:

Braunfels
                              Benedictus (Grosse Messe, Op.37)

Simone Schneider (soprano)
                              Stuttgart State Opera Chorus
                              Stuttgart State Orchestra
                              Manfred Honeck (conductor)

Comment

• hmvman
                                • Mar 2007

Maestro Honeck does not appear to have recorded any Copland so my hopes are high for the later part of tomorrow's programme... Indeed, a rather grown-up item is listed:

Braunfels
                                Benedictus (Grosse Messe, Op.37)

Simone Schneider (soprano)
                                Stuttgart State Opera Chorus
                                Stuttgart State Orchestra
                                Manfred Honeck (conductor)

Beethoven 7 today. Sounded good to me. I've enjoyed what I've heard of the Honeck recordings this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X