Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    If your kitchen radio is tuned to R3 in the morning it will certainly deter any potential classical-music-loving burglars. Double protection!
    Mind you there's a danger you might find them sitting round the kitchen table listening to Deborah Moggagh - and there again perhaps not, is there a worse interviewer anywhere than RC? Reading from a prepared list of plodding, clunky questions, not picking up on cues, the conversational skills of a hatstand. Michael Berkeley, Sean Rafferty, Suzy Klein, all show how it should be done, in their different ways

A story DM told a long time ago, which perhaps RC didn't come across in his research, concerned her friend Posy Simmonds, who was stuck for inspiration whilst illustrating a love scene in one of her graphic novels. DM and her then partner (not Mel Calman) obliged (how far wasn't entirely clear ) so that PS could take photos to work from, after which the two ladies traipsed round Hampstead looking for a discreet chemist to develop the prints

PS the radio's only on here to deter the painter from putting anything else on!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      PS the radio's only on here to deter the painter from putting anything else on!
      Why? How little is he wearing?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Why? How little is he wearing?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Mind you there's a danger you might find them sitting round the kitchen table listening to Deborah Moggagh - and there again perhaps not, is there a worse interviewer anywhere than RC? Reading from a prepared list of plodding, clunky questions, not picking up on cues, the conversational skills of a hatstand.
          Haven't caught any of Ms Moggach - is she worth a podcast download?

But regrettably I do agree with what you say about poor RC. Unlike others, I really like his broadcasting when in his proper role; but the Michael Parkinson de nos jours he is not, and you put your finger on it with the words highlighted above. The 'hatstand' reference is perhaps unfair but made me laugh so I'll give you that one!

I think Sarah Walker makes a much better fist of the interviewing game she's forced to play - she shows genuine interest and engagement, and does pick up and run with cues 'off script'.

That said, poor Rob had the gumption to have a quick grumble at the inane 'pop classic' quiz question I caught briefly at 9.30 before switching off
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

At least you missed the grotesque pop version of the same which constituted the "quiz"
            Presumably in 4/4 time.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Unlike others, I really like his broadcasting when in his proper role...
              Agreed. In the days of the BBC Messageboards, Ron was revered above all others. We should never forget this. He may well feel the same of course.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Agreed. In the days of the BBC Messageboards, Ron was revered above all others. .
                ... 'Ron' may have had reverence from some ; I have never had any reverence for Mr Robert Cowan - tho' I respect his knowledge of recordings from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s - even if I seldom share his reverence for the performances of that period.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Haven't caught any of Ms Moggach - is she worth a podcast download?

She's never less than interesting and entertaining, even in this context. I've read some of her books (Tulip Fever a fine historical novel), she's also noted for her screenplays.

She's coming down this way for a book festival in September, just up the road, I hope to go along. PENfro a cunning play on words, Penfro being Welsh for Pembroke......
                  Last edited by Guest; 17-07-15, 15:33.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Meanwhile I heard five minutes of this terrible programme on Friday by chance and was greeted by an appalling quiz item in which we were asked to guess what a piece of music was played backwards . . .
                    They're still playing this mind-numbingly stupid children's party game. Today it was the Funeral March of a Marionette, but the worst of it was having then to sit through a list of people who had got the answer right, as though the rest of the population were remotely interested.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      They're still playing this mind-numbingly stupid children's party game. Today it was the Funeral March of a Marionette, but the worst of it was having then to sit through a list of people who had got the answer right, as though the rest of the population were remotely interested.
                      Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,

It must be a mandate by producers at Radio 3 to include the audience in their shows by way of tweets etc. make it more interactive no matter how banal and mind-numbing it is for those not included in the contact. I hope it's just a trend that will soon change but somehow I doubt it.
                      Last edited by Stanfordian; 07-08-15, 10:53.

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
                        • Feb 2012

At the risk of sounding like a tweeting audience member, can I just say I am absolutely loving the Edinburgh Festival broadcasts. Two hours without texts, tweets, trails (three hours I suppose if you include the lunchtime concert). And that's before you get on to the unassuming nature of the music, performers and presenters.

Absolute bliss and I wish this programming could go on for ever.

(I know there's a separate EIF thread, thought this one was more appropriate though.)

Comment

• peterthekeys
                          • Aug 2014

Turned on R3 this morning - Essential Classics

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

"O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Two movements from the Britten serenade

blah blah blah (etc ad nauseam)

Is this programme actually about music?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Had to look twice: next week's guest on EC is Robert Newman. I wonder if they'll ask him what he thinks of the Proms lately?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Had to look twice: next week's guest on EC is Robert Newman. I wonder if they'll ask him what he thinks of the Proms lately?
                              Grave, probably.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Grave, probably.
                                If it goes well, they'll probably invite Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-1890) and Ernest Newman (1868-1959) next...

Comment

Working...
                                X