Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I was surprised that a man of Rob's experience has yet to master German umlauts which he must come across quite often in the course of his work and are not really that difficult to grasp. He would probably not refer to Olaf Bar or Wilhelm Furtwangler but has has just referred to Eberhard Wächter as "Wachter" not "Wechter". The singer is fairly well known. Surely we are justified in expecting professional announcers to get these things right.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I was surprised that a man of Rob's experience has yet to master German umlauts which he must come across quite often in the course of his work and are not really that difficult to grasp. He would probably not refer to Olaf Bar or Wilhelm Furtwangler but has has just referred to Eberhard Wächter as "Wachter" not "Wechter". The singer is fairly well known. Surely we are justified in expecting professional announcers to get these things right.
      Sometimes I wonder whether part of the problem (sometimes) is that anything entered with a keyboard simply has its accents omitted. This, of course, only means that unfamiliar names are likely to get mispronounced. Those who know just 'tut' with annoyance.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Sometimes I wonder whether part of the problem (sometimes) is that anything entered with a keyboard simply has its accents omitted. This, of course, only means that unfamiliar names are likely to get mispronounced. Those who know just 'tut' with annoyance.
        To be honest I'm more interested in whether he's sticking on CDs of music I want to listen to, and stuff the umlauts and acutes!

Comment

• Victor Meldrew II

SPInut or spiNET?

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          The other day when playing Fitzwilliam Virginal Book selections, RC told us the music would be played on a "SPInut". Today, it's a "spiNET"...........he's a mispronunciator's dream!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

I was astonished that RC mispronounced Wächter twice. We know he lacks expertise in foreign languages, but as a professed expert in the history of recorded classical music, he MUST be aware of Wächter, and must surely have heard his name correctly pronounced before. He was Giulini's Don Giovanni for goodness' sake. It made me question how much he really knows. (Also, a minute or so later, Emmanuel Pa-Who??)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              I was astonished that RC mispronounced Wächter twice. We know he lacks expertise in foreign languages, but as a professed expert in the history of recorded classical music, he MUST be aware of Wächter, and must surely have heard his name correctly pronounced before. He was Giulini's Don Giovanni for goodness' sake. It made me question how much he really knows. (Also, a minute or so later, Emmanuel Pa-Who??)

And yesterday .....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                It made me question how much he really knows.
                Not too much about opera, probably. But I think that's slightly unfair: English people d'un certain age who haven't studied languages at all notoriously have difficulties with the niceties of pronouncing foreign words. This being my point of view, I have (with regret, because was fun ) unjoined a certain Facebook group ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

. This being my point of view, I have (with regret, because was fun ) unjoined a certain Facebook group ...
                  Which one which one? I might enjoy it!

A propos, I must repost Richard's wonderful analogy which still gives me regular chuckles when I think of it between 9am and midday:

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Rob regards foreign words rather as a horse and rider might regard the jumps at the Horse of the Year Show - pause, gather yourself, go for it. "Les Musiciens du Louvre" would represent something on the puissance course, I should imagine. Four faults a fairly regular occurrence.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    [COLOR="#0000FF"]Which one which one? I might enjoy it!
                    It is fun:

[I will email it to you, for reasons to be explained.

and is (usually) very good natured. But since Friends of Radio 3 makes a point of not 'attacking' individual presenters (bigger fish to fry), I felt the particular focus on the Essential Classics presenters was not really compatible with this aim

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

It is fun:

I will email it to you, for reasons to be explained.

and is (usually) very good natured.
                      I see Mahan Esfahani is a member

He's game for a laugh, I understand!

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

A propos, I must repost Richard's wonderful analogy which still gives me regular chuckles when I think of it between 9am and midday:

Rob regards foreign words rather as a horse and rider might regard the jumps at the Horse of the Year Show - pause, gather yourself, go for it. "Les Musiciens du Louvre" would represent something on the puissance course, I should imagine. Four faults a fairly regular occurrence.

... I think the too-frequent programming of the Pavane pour une Infante Défunte is brought about by the malevolent intentions of a high-up in Radio Three who wishes to inflict pain on unknowing announcers...

And as for anything by the Ensemble Intercontemporain....

Last edited by vinteuil; 01-04-15, 14:11.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... I think the too-frequent programming of the Pavane pour une Infante Défunte is brought about by the malevolent intentions of a high-up in Radio Three who wishes to inflict pain on unknowing announcers...

And as for anything by the Ensemble Intercontemporain....

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

- and that's definitely a flaxen horse

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

- and that's definitely a flaxen horse
                              Oh very neat, RT

But that ain't no filly in the saddle....!!

(The rider actually does look spookily like Rob Cowan, now I look again!)

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                                • Nov 2010

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's how he pronounces foreign words and names. I just wish he'd keep quiet and play the music.
                                I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

Working...
                                X