• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

we had a Grosse Fugue last Thursday lunchtime too

Comment

• Penn Igor

Noticed on the EC playlist this morning the St.Trinians film muusic. And on Breakfast....the Warsaw Concerto. Aint getting any better, is it.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        we had a Grosse Fugue last Thursday lunchtime too
        The German is Grosse Fuge but someone (Sarah Walker?) insists on pronouncing it as if it were the English 'Gross Fugue'

(Some of us don't find it gross at all)
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
          Ah, looking closer I see that the lunchtime concert listing in Radio Times for today is for the two piano version. And I have noticed this week that the items listed for the lunchtime concert in Radio Times have in fact moved around the week and appeared on different days. So perhaps someone did notice the clash.
          Or the people compiling the listings on the schedule just didn't know what they were doing.

But if it was two different versions it would be interesting to have the opportunity to hear them close together.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Ah, the grocer's fudge, (the 2 piano arrangement, that is).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Essential Classics and Rob Cowan at their best this morning - just as I Entered Hyde Park in the sunshine on my bike, the Eintritt started from Richter's 1956 Prague recording of Schumann's Waldszenen. I'd stupidly never got round to listening to that performance before.

The ensuing 20 minutes were rather special
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Essential Classics and Rob Cowan at their best this morning - just as I Entered Hyde Park in the sunshine on my bike, the Eintritt started from Richter's 1956 Prague recording of Schumann's Waldszenen. I'd stupidly never got round to listening to that performance before.

The ensuing 20 minutes were rather special
                Presume you missed darling Penelope and her selections then Rumpole?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Presume you missed darling Penelope and her selections then Rumpole?
                  I did catch the tail end of some pretty random stuff - the Hummel trumpet concerto, Dame P discussing village life and advising Rob C to buy a light aircraft, and Rob mentioning having been struck down with rheumatic fever

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

I did catch the tail end of some pretty random stuff - the Hummel trumpet concerto, Dame P discussing village life and advising Rob C to buy a light aircraft, and Rob mentioning having been struck down with rheumatic fever
                    Shame you missed her first selection ...... one of your all time favourites!! She claimed never to have heard yer Hummel ever played on the radio!!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Shame you missed her first selection ...... one of your all time favourites!! She claimed never to have heard yer Hummel ever played on the radio!!!

.... I dodged that bullet!!!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Does that mean she had never heard anything on Radio 3 by Hummel, at all? Strange to have remembered hearing Hummel but NOT the trumpet concerto. She also chose B-o-D's favourite: Rodeo.

Now, let's be analytical. It does sound 'snobbish' to belittle the choices of people who apparently have 'little knowledge of classical music'. But don't blame the 'snobs': blame Radio 3 for relentlessly, obsessively, pursuing an audience which has 'little knowledge of classical music' and foisting their choices on its core audience which does know the odd fact or two.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

She also chose B-o-D's favourite: Rodeo*
                          B-o-D is not alone

*I think I even gave the damn thing a kicking in my 'survey' response, didn't I?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

well at least it was not Hewitt in the Bach keyboard [or was that Breakfast - it all merges into one dollop eh] ...

... er checking helps, it was Scarlatti in Breakfast ... well it is all much of a muchness and i dare say not much of a muchness to make much of
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

*I think I even gave the damn thing a kicking in my 'survey' response, didn't I?
                              I was going to add that, though the majority of the respondents are not members of the forum, they do seem to have this weird idea that the repertoire is too repetitive and there are too many warhorses. And not enough that really stretches them. And too little new music at time when most people want to listen. And they don't like the playing of single movements. I dunno, people
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

yes definitely time for a new people!
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X