• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Maybe so but do you honestly believe that Rob and Sarah have not a big chunk of influence?
    Only in the choice of what is played. The original commissioning brief makes it clear that this is the format that was wanted when it went out to tender:

"There is an opportunity for each programme to include one guest – either to add a request element to the show, or a piece with some personal, biographical or topical significance.

The focus will be on essential classics. Choice of recordings is paramount, so that the programme includes an element of music recommendation of performers and recordings. There could also be listener interaction around requests or recommendations. The programme should feel inclusive and informative. It must be distinctive and different from the Breakfast programme.

Each day would include regular timed features to aid navigation over the 3 hours. There is the opportunity for elements that bring in something new and surprising. There could also be cycles of works running through or across weeks.
    Presentation should be light and brief, without in-depth musicological or complicated biographical detail (which is more suited to COTW which follows). References can be made to artists or concert series currently happening around the UK.

The successful company will be judged on resilience and reliability to deliver a three-hour live programme, five days a week, Monday to Fridays 50 weeks a year to an excellent standard.

The company would be responsive to station priorities and connect regularly with other strands. A live daily trail into Radio 3 Breakfast would be expected."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

That makes such depressing reading, ff
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        That makes such depressing reading, ff
        What about the bit that goes before:

"This is a significant part of Radio 3’s weekday daytime schedule and should aim to hold on to as much of the breakfast audience as possible whilst drawing in new listeners from the post-Today Radio 4 switch over. "

And what about listeners who can't stand Breakfast and don't listen to the Today programme? Actually, I'm reminded of the Punch cartoon about the curate's egg.

Bishop: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones"
        Curate: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!"

A half bad egg isn't very appetising.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          ... 50 weeks a year ...
          When do we get the two weeks off?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            When do we get the two weeks off?
            My guess is quite soon (over Christmas and New Year) when we get Santa's Classics (with RC, ho, ho, ho) and New Year Classics (with SW).

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Only in the choice of what is played. The original commissioning brief makes it clear that this is the format that was wanted when it went out to tender...
              That is what I would have suspected - I would not have thought they would by choice want the twitter, quizzes or guests.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                That is what I would have suspected - I would not have thought they would by choice want the twitter, quizzes or guests.
                Though they still have their brief of "mainstream classics" and "essential classics". Plus bearing in mind the likely audience.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Though they still have their brief of "mainstream classics" and "essential classics". Plus bearing in mind the likely audience.
                  Yes but frequently sneak stuff in under the dumbdown radar!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Sadly it's pitiful to hear Rob Cowan trying to talk cuisine with Monica Galetti and shoe-horn 'issues' like 'food-colouring' and 'fast food' alongside 'essential classics' somehow. Horrible radio..... unlistenable-to and cringe-worthy
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 18-12-14, 15:07.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

What is it about chefs and gardeners that's so attractive to Essential Classics producers?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

What is it about chefs and gardeners that's so attractive to Essential Classics producers?
                        It has a lot to do with currently running TV progs, i.e. Monica Galetti's appearance timed to coincide with finals of Masterchef. The same goes for books I suppose. The bestseller lists dominated by cooking and gardening books, and sportsperson's "autobiographies". An awful lot of TV is about gardening or cooking.

SW's first ever guest was a gardener.

Re Cali's, it doesn't help that RC is such an appalling interviewer. Off the cringe scale.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Re Cali's, it doesn't help that RC is such an appalling interviewer. Off the cringe scale.
                          It's just heart-rending miscasting. Let the poor chap do what he's good at - communicate to listeners about great and off-the-beaten track performances and recordings.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

They're cheap?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              It's just heart-rending miscasting. Let the poor chap do what he's good at - communicate to listeners about great and off-the-beaten track performances and recordings.

He must be close to succumbing to PTSD, I reckon.

Cruel and unusual treatment

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                I think I'd be the same if I were as knowledgeable as Rob but had to demean myself in order to keep my job.

Comment

Working...
                                X