X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    To me, Stephen Johnson is one of the very best presenters Radio 3 has...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      ....and if she turns out to be a Stockport County season ticket holder surely all will be forgiven?????
      What,the other one ?

Comment

• Roehre

To me, Stephen Johnson is one of the very best presenters Radio 3 has. The content of his presentation far overweighs his slight mannerism.
        Seconded

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

To me, Stephen Johnson is one of the very best presenters Radio 3 has. The content of his presentation far overweighs his slight mannerism.
          Ah yes, if only someone could read his scripts for him ...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Classical Fan View Post
            And while we are at it, does anyone really appreciate Stephen Johnson's ridiculously plummy tones..........David Nice is like that too.
            Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            I enjoy SJ's contributions very much, when he is allowed to make them. I can live with listening to a plummy voice if what is being spoken is worthwhile.
            Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            I'm absolutely fine with SJ, and his contributions.
            Originally posted by JFLL View Post
            Not me, but I dislike even more his emphasising almost every other word, so that in the end nothing is emphasised.
            Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Seconded
            I can't help feeling there is a lesson to be learned in all this Verb. sap. sat?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A for Stephen Johnson from me too.

I realise this is not a serious suggestion but one can tell in about a millisecond whether someone is speaking their own words, or someone else's. It's why I prefer an Attenborough wildlife doc, or one where the wildlife film maker is speaking, regardless of accent, to one where the script is read by a well-known actor.

It has to do with whether there is knowledge and experience behind the words - you can hear it.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-12-14, 09:58. Reason: clarification

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                • Sep 2014

I also can't stand the RC style of presentation - and normally avoid his programme at all costs. I did find last week, though, he played a few interesting works (to me anyway!). The Radio Times is NO HELP at all, as it doesn't list the detail. But browsing iPlayer, I did discover and enjoy Bach's Cantata BWV 34 on Tuesday - which incidentally was followed immediately by Roussel's Bacchus and Ariadne (incongruous programming or what?) - had to come back to that later, when I'd recovered from the Bach.

Also noticed Tippett's Symphony No 2 on Friday - (Colin Davis) - have made a note to catch up with that.

So are the BBC actually putting an effort in to "dumb-up" occasionally?? Let's keep the pressure on, and maybe they'll do the same to the presentation style!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

for once, sounded like an interesting guest on EC today, the founder of the Big Issue.

Anybody catch all of it? I only heard 15 mins or so.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

for once, sounded like an interesting guest on EC today, the founder of the Big Issue.

Anybody catch all of it? I only heard 15 mins or so.
                    Notwithstanding the appearance of one of our eminent members (allegedly), no. Benefit segment. If I wanted to hear someone famous being interviewed, I'd listen to Private Passions or Desert Island Discs. But every morning on a Radio 3 music programme? Er, no thank you. (La donna รจ mobile, plus a bit from Rodeo, bit from Midsummer Night's Dream, The Chairman Dances ... I assume the Sibelius was wrongly included in the CotW of Schumann since it has now apparently disappeared from there).

The format is just as unattractive as Breakfast. I don't really understand why people are willing to sit through this in order to hear the odd bit of good music, possibly. Even the Eroica is not exactly rarely played.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Notwithstanding the appearance of one of our eminent members (allegedly), no. Benefit segment. If I wanted to hear someone famous being interviewed, I'd listen to Private Passions or Desert Island Discs. But every morning on a Radio 3 music programme? Er, no thank you. (La donna รจ mobile, plus a bit from Rodeo, bit from Midsummer Night's Dream, The Chairman Dances ... I assume the Sibelius was wrongly included in the CotW of Schumann since it has now apparently disappeared from there).

The format is just as unattractive as Breakfast. I don't really understand why people are willing to sit through this in order to hear the odd bit of good music, possibly. Even the Eroica is not exactly rarely played.
                      I only said he sounded like an interesting guest .

the format is what it is. I wouldn't have it like that, and I don't "access" it, "on line, on tablet on iplayer "or anywhere much usually.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

the format is what it is.
                        It is, yes that's exactly what it is: 3 hours of nondescriptery. But it is for a specific audience which, it seems, does enjoy it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

It is, yes that's exactly what it is: 3 hours of nondescriptery. But it is for a specific audience which, it seems, does enjoy it.
                          I "enjoyed" it when I had a really horrible debilitating cold, 2 years ago.

It was the only music I could cope with . Sort of aural weak beef tea.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I suspect it's only listened to by people who "dip in" or use it as pleasant background music - ditto Breakfast, In Tune, Saturday Classics, etc.
                              The BBC might do well to experiment - publishing the full playlist in advance. It may even encourage some of the many doubters to tune in occasionally.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                The BBC might do well to experiment - publishing the full playlist in advance. It may even encourage some of the many doubters to tune in occasionally.
                                I agree.

... if there were playlists - even better, if details were provided in the Radio Times - then I wd listen far more.

As it is, I find Breakfast, Essential Classics, In Tune etc unlistenable-to, so probably miss stuff I wd otherwise really like to hear.

Radio 3 has lost me as a listener for much of the day...

Comment

Working...
                                X