• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
    If such a thing exists, Frenchie, it would be interesting to see ...
    Ah, yes, if only such a thing existed.... <sigh> I'll have a look in my old folders ... But my guess is - well, I know this - when you go back 20 odd years (and an earlier Rajar data collection methodology) Radio 3's schedule looked quite different. There were some Rajar figures in the British Library from 1995.

In the 1990s, R3's reach was about 2.5m, the dip down to 2m came when Rajar introduced a new system of data collection in 1999 and no one seems to have been willing to explain why - most stations actually saw a rise. But this had nothing to do with CFM which launched in 1992. Humphrey Carpenter says that in 1995 R3's reach was about the same as it had been before Classic FM started. But Kenyon is reported as admitting that pressure was being put on him to improve R3's figures.

It seems that Classic FM genuinely found a new audience with a reach of about 4.5m and rising in the mid 1990s, well exceeding that of R3.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Woman on R3 Facebook asking about a piece played this morning. Judging by the description, she was listening to John Suchet on Classic FM
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Woman on R3 Facebook asking about a piece played this morning. Judging by the description, she was listening to John Suchet on Classic FM
        Tuchet!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          Tuchet!

Anyway, I answered her enquiry - hope the R3 peeps won't be annoyed with me

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I was pleased to have been there (although it nearly caused me to fall off my bike) for Rob Cowan's gem of a Freudian slip this morning, when giving the answer to the quiz:

"George Gershwin died of a brain teaser"

(For those that didn't hear, he was clearly inundated by the Twittering faithful, inc. from Mr H. Goldberg who said apparently that if it could be fatal, he'd better give up answering their quizzes... )
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I was pleased to have been there (although it nearly caused me to fall off my bike) for Rob Cowan's gem of a Freudian slip this morning, when giving the answer to the quiz:

(For those that didn't hear, he was clearly inundated by the Twittering faithful, inc. from Mr H. Goldberg who said apparently that if it could be fatal, he'd better give up answering their quizzes... )

Wonderful!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

In the words of the great David Owen Norris: "you couldn't make it up!!"

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Brilliant.

And we know RC wouldnt tell porgys......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Paulie55
                    • Jan 2012

I am sorry if I am repeating words from other messages but I am truly sick and tired of hearing Sarah Walker and Rob Cowan telling me what to listen out for in a performance
                    and how a pianist "beautifully moulds the notes into a bouquet of such lusciousness" (I jest but you get my drift). Let ME make up my OWN mind and just allow me to listen.
                    I am sure Sarah is a delightful person but her voice is so flat for an announcer and unsuitable for radio. Unfortunately, as with most presenters on Radio 3, they simply talk far
                    too much. Suzy Klein never stops talking..........for heaven's sake, give us all a break and let us hear music, NOT speech!
                    Rob Cowan is extremely knowledgeable but talks for ages before playing music. And Stephen Johnson's "Who Am I" makes me want to turn off the radio!
                    As for all those emails, texts and tweets, don't get me started! Right, rant over.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
                      I am sorry if I am repeating words from other messages but I am truly sick and tired of hearing Sarah Walker and Rob Cowan telling me what to listen out for in a performance
                      and how a pianist "beautifully moulds the notes into a bouquet of such lusciousness" (I jest but you get my drift). Let ME make up my OWN mind and just allow me to listen.
                      I am sure Sarah is a delightful person but her voice is so flat for an announcer and unsuitable for radio. Unfortunately, as with most presenters on Radio 3, they simply talk far
                      too much. Suzy Klein never stops talking..........for heaven's sake, give us all a break and let us hear music, NOT speech!
                      Rob Cowan is extremely knowledgeable but talks for ages before playing music. And Stephen Johnson's "Who Am I" makes me want to turn off the radio!
                      As for all those emails, texts and tweets, don't get me started! Right, rant over.
                      If you feel that strongly then why don't you listen to 'Through The Night' on the iplayer? Problem solved.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Hiya Caliban, That's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. Yes, a famous 'Freudian slip' most likely caused by all this tweeting and texting, and thinking of irritating celebrities to have on the show.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

I've just listened to this slip. Just before it he says the answer to the quiz is that "Schoenberg and Ravel were tennis partners" when he meant Schoenberg and Gershwin.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            I've just listened to this slip. Just before it he says the answer to the quiz is that "Schoenberg and Ravel were tennis partners" when he meant Schoenberg and Gershwin.
                            Yes I wondered about that at the time, and why Ravel had put in an appearance.

Bit of a cock-up generally!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Yes I wondered about that at the time, and why Ravel had put in an appearance.

Bit of a cock-up generally!
                              Wouldn't that have to have been badminton?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                                If you feel that strongly then why don't you listen to 'Through The Night' on the iplayer? Problem solved.
                                Or listen to Haydn.

Comment

Working...
                                X