• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    This speaks volumes.
    Particularly the bit about "core classical repertoire".
    It was the "avid user of social media" that stuck out for me. (I'd "ticked all the boxes" up until that point.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      It was the "avid user of social media" that stuck out for me. (I'd "ticked all the boxes" up until that point.)
      But you are using this site all the time. I think that qualifies all of us.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Ah! I was thinking of Twitbook, Facetweet and such like ... as, I suspect, were the creators of the Jobspec: it would be nice to think that one could get a BBC-associated job (if one should so wish) after declaring that one posted regularly to the Forum.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

This speaks volumes.
          Particularly the bit about "core classical repertoire".
          Don't forget the original commissioning brief:

"This is a significant part of Radio 3’s weekday daytime schedule and should aim to hold on to as much of the breakfast audience as possible whilst drawing in new listeners from the post-Today Radio 4 switch over. It should also be an entry-point programme to appeal to listeners with a broad interest in mainstream classical music.
          [...]
          "The programme should feel inclusive and informative... Presentation should be light and brief, without in-depth musicological or complicated biographical detail (which is more suited to COTW which follows)."

It's that word 'avid' [NB Agree with ferney - It's job-related social media, Fb and Twitter, oh, and the Essential Classics blog. Haven't looked at that for ages ...]
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

"This is a significant part of Radio 3’s weekday daytime schedule and should aim to hold on to as much of the breakfast audience as possible whilst drawing in new listeners from the post-Today Radio 4 switch over.
            Reading between the lines, is there some infighting going on here between BBC radio channels. Pistols at Dawn between the controllers of Radios 3 & 4?

It is interesting that there are news bulletins throughout Breakfast, but at the most sensible time to programme such an item, there's an almighty scramble as the two presenters try not to trip over one another in the handover. "Clemmie, get out of my seat, quickly please." "OK Rob. Ouch! you kicked my ankle twice last week and now it's my shin. "

Heaven forbid we should have a news bulletin, think for ourselves, etc. DO THEY THINK WE ARE ALL IDIOTS?

EDIT
            If I'm being a little unhostly, I'll willingly amend/delete.
            Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 16-09-14, 14:07.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

[B]

in-depth knowledge of the core classical repertoire (Baroque to Late Romantic)
              All this bluster about Radio 3 introducing new listeners to classical music isn't anything of the kind, in other words, really just a very selective introduction to a musical museum, and an historically restricted one at that.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

in-depth knowledge of the core classical repertoire (Baroque to Late Romantic)

... wot, no Léonin, no Pérotin, no Guido d' Arezzo, no Odhecaton?? to say nowt of them Byrds n Tallises and other Dowlands????

And nuffink from the later 20th c and the 21st c???

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... wot, no Léonin, no Pérotin, no Guido d' Arezzo, no Odhecaton?? to say nowt of them Byrds n Tallises and other Dowlands????

And nuffink from the later 20th c and the 21st c???
                  Which wastes the particular professional expertise of at least one of its presenters, whose doctoral thesis was on the English experimental tradition of the second half of the 20th century, and who is also active as a performer in that field.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Nearly all the presenters have expertise that dwarfs the sycophantic role their bosses demand.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

well in the bad old days of Jon3 [since improved] we used to say on da jazz boreds that it was 'some thin else productions' you should know that they sell muzak services to airlines
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Nearly all the presenters have expertise that dwarfs the sycophantic role their bosses demand.
                        How very true.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... that is true - and so sad. Actually, it makes me angry - it's a real trahison des clercs . .

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            well in the bad old days of Jon3 [since improved] we used to say on da jazz boreds that it was 'some thin else productions' you should know that they sell muzak services to airlines
                            It's known as "diversification"; I read somewhere else on this forum today that Somefink Else have taken over another R3 franchise which I hadn't realised had been privatised already.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Reading between the lines, is there some infighting going on here between BBC radio channels. Pistols at Dawn between the controllers of Radios 3 & 4?
                              Not necessarily. Remember Paul Gambaccini's brief? At 9am (same as EC) he had the specific mission [sic] to invite Radio 4 listeners, post-Today, to 'stay with the BBC rather than switch to Classic FM'. Radio 4's audience tumbles from about 8am. Some people are just going to work, others are switching to ... where? Radio 2? Classic FM? Gambaccini's Classical Collection was to compete with CFM for the classical audience. So although the BBC says Radio 3 was not targeting CFM listeners (but Radio 4 listeners), the Radio 4 listeners were the CFM listeners.

This is what the standard R4 listening pattern looked like:

(The red line was ten years ago, but if you check with five years earlier - the blue line - the pattern is near identical. And the current pattern is likely to be not dissimilar.) 2014's Rob Cowan is 1995's Paul Gambaccini
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                                • Nov 2010

If such a thing exists, Frenchie, it would be interesting to see a comparison of R3's listener audience size before and after the entry of CFM onto the scene to see if, indeed, CFM snaffled any of R3's audience or created a new one - which, it would appear, R3 now chases.
                                (You may well have these things already at your fingertips and posted elsewhere but I, for one, probably missed it).
                                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
                                X