• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lento View Post
    I always take "interesting", in this context, to be a euphemism
    I found a blog to that effect, including: 'Interesting is a good way to say, “ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??!!” when it’s not prudent to say exactly what’s on your mind.'

Interestingly, 'bus' could be an interesting guess to trace back to hearing a hypothetical: *De bus-ci as distinct from *de bus-là; but aeroplane? Are you &c. .......?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Bateaux were flat-bottomed and double-ended. They were built with heavy stems at bow and stern and a series of frames amidships, likely from natural oak crooks when available, and planked with sawn boards, likely pine although builders would have used whatever material was available. These boats would have varied from place to place, from builder to builder and also evolved over time, however in general, they were 24 feet (7.3 m) to 50 feet (15 m) long and 5 feet (1.5 m) to 8 feet (2.4 m) wide. The bottoms were planked and flat, without a keel, but possibly with a larger “keel-plank” in the center and sometimes reinforced with cross cleats. The sides were planked, tapering to sharp at either end. wicki
      whereas did Debussy intend a punt? a rather different kettle of fish i think .... if he meant a punt then 'delight' might well be an acceptable answer - as in 'transport of delight' ..... whereas if he refers to a cargo carrying vessel of certain dimensions then we are at sea in a cornucopia of terminologies .... [barge/freighter/coaster &c]

ne le chien se noyer?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Interestingly, 'bus' could be an interesting guess to trace back to hearing a hypothetical: *De bus-ci as distinct from *de bus-là; but aeroplane? Are you &c. .......?
        Agh - that's even worse than mine!!!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Agh - that's even worse than mine!!!
          You didn't text it in, did you?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Blotto

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            Is that Elvis (from his unfinished remake of A Yank at Oxford)?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

You didn't text it in, did you?
              No - sorry ff: I meant my style of puns!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                No - sorry ff: I meant my style of puns!
                Well, you disappointed me - I only looked to see what your pun was going to be and there wasn't one!

Blotto - I thought Elvis too. I wonder if Essential Classics people are looking in here for something interest to report on the 'show'.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Well, you disappointed me - I only looked to see what your pun was going to be and there wasn't one!

Blotto - I thought Elvis too. I wonder if Essential Classics people are looking in here for something interest to report on the 'show'.
                  They must be in Dire Straits if they're Calling Elvis!

Comment

• Lento
                    • Jan 2014

I found a blog to that effect, including: 'Interesting is a good way to say, “ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??!!” when it’s not prudent to say exactly what’s on your mind.'

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Prompted by ff’s comment on another thread (Saturday classic #90), I tuned into the programme. A good start with Vivaldi, then, I was all geared up to listen to, in Rob’s words, ‘contemporary music’ conducted by ‘Sir Simon Rattle who, again in Rob’s words, ‘was once a percussionist which stood him in good stead’. And what did I hear? Bernstein’s Wonderful Town. Ah well, I am rather fond of Puccini’s Chrysanthemums, and Janacek’s Sinfonietta hasn’t been faded out at the end of the fanfare. I shall / may persevere.

Incidentally, are this and Breakfast, which are said to be entry programmes to classical music, promoted on non-classical music stations? If not, how are the target audience expected to come to hear the programmes in the first place?

[ed.] Rob is letting the guest do most of the talk which has gone more or less straight into musical matters. This is at 10 35. We’ll see how it goes, but as far as today’s programme is concerned, I don’t think it isn’t quite so unlistenable.
                      Last edited by doversoul1; 01-09-14, 10:39.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                        Incidentally, are this and Breakfast, which are said to be entry programmes to classical music, promoted on non-classical music stations? If not, how are the target audience expected to come to hear the programmes in the first place?
                        Interesting, in that Radio 4 listeners are inclined to seek out Classic FM once Today finishes, so Essential Classics had a rescheduled start-time of 9am (rather than 10am like CD Masters and Classical Collection). This was the reason Kenyon imported Paul Gambaccini to present a 9am show - to encourage R4 listeners to stay with the BBC rather than cross to CFM (plus ça change). But how do they advertise the programme to R4 listeners?

We know that CFM listeners try the two morning programmes to escape the CFM adverts, and find them at about the same level ('Breakfast bite-sized and cheery background' [sic], 'Similar vein but not quite so bite sized in Essential Classics' [sic], 'I think the schedule sounds great as you've described it. I feel like I've gone shopping and bought something really new and exciting and it's only a change in radio station' [sic], 'I'm listening to this morning's Essential Classics, which looks great. I'm looking forward to West Side Story later in the programme' [sic]. Quotes all genuine from Classic FM listeners on Mumsnet.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Interesting, in that Radio 4 listeners are inclined to seek out Classic FM once Today finishes,
                          I wonder why don't they stick with R4 for the 9-10 am slot which usually has intelligent and entertaining content including Book of the Week, the type of which should appeal to Today listeners. Personally, I wake up with either Five Live (Radio Bloke) or Today (always avoiding Thought for the Day) for a news fix and don't seek out music programmes of a morning till Woman's Hour makes me reach for the tuning switch. This is usually my favourite satellite station RAI5 (playing now), sometimes Rob C and never CFM.

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

Interesting, in that Radio 4 listeners are inclined to seek out Classic FM once Today finishes, so Essential Classics had a rescheduled start-time of 9am (rather than 10am like CD Masters and Classical Collection). This was the reason Kenyon imported Paul Gambaccini to present a 9am show - to encourage R4 listeners to stay with the BBC rather than cross to CFM (plus ça change). But how do they advertise the programme to R4 listeners?
                            As far as I can recall, as a regular 'Today' listener, I've never heard 'Essential Classics' trailed or advertised. Nor have I heard it advertised at other times on R4. There are occasional trails for R3 programmes but not the morning 'playlist' progs.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I wonder why don't they stick with R4 for the 9-10 am slot which usually has intelligent and entertaining content including Book of the Week, the type of which should appeal to Today listeners.
                              I can only surmise, based on scraps of information picked up here and there:

1. Paul Gambaccini in the Radio Times (1995?) saying he had a specific mission to 'invite' Radio 4 listeners to stay with the BBC rather than switching to Classic FM (which he had just left). Cf the Commissioning Brief for Essential Classics which 'should aim to hold on to as much of the breakfast audience as possible whilst drawing in new listeners from the post-Today Radio 4 switch over'.

2. Evidence that Radio 4's audience drops dramatically after 9am (plummets, you might say). It appears that the bulk of R4's listeners listen to Today and/or The Archers.

3. Evidence that when asked what alternatives to Radio 4 they listened to, Classic FM was placed higher than Radio 3.

My guess is that after Today many of them want some music for a change, rather than more speech programming. Radio 2 is the highest ranked music station preference. Alternatives mentioned were:

• Five Live
                              • Radio 2
                              • World Service
                              • Classic FM
                              • Radio 3
                              • BBC 4 Extra (this may have become more popular since the survey)
                              • Radio Scotland

I wonder whether the BBC thinks of R4/Today listeners as their listeners, so it's reasonable to do what they can to keep them listening to BBC radio?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                I wonder why don't they stick with R4 for the 9-10 am slot which usually has intelligent and entertaining content ...the type of which should appeal to Today listeners....
                                'Today '- intelligent ? - it too has mostly descended into red top material and presentational style - tho it hasn't yet reached the depths plumbed by 'PM' - possibly the new chair to trust can bring something of the intelligent approach to news found in the FT .

Comment

Working...
                                X