X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Wonnacott
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    it's the insufferable sentimental oleaginous need-to-be-loved that makes listening intolerable...
    +1
    I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      What links these 3 pieces of music?

The Rite of Spring, Spring Song, Appalachian Spring.

Tweet or text us..

Groan
      Boing!!!!!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... pertick'ly his clear belief that all the best recordings were made before 1969...
        Of course they were - that was the year the music died!!!!!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Of course they were - that was the year the music died!!!!!
          In his defence - he does indeed have far far more musical knowledge than any of the other 'presenters'
          but I much preferred his voice about 20 years ago when it used to have an appealing Essex ( or was it Herts?) twang, before he evidently had some lessons in R.P.
          Last edited by Tony Halstead; 12-04-14, 08:45.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Not sure about RP: I think all presenters have been instructed to sound 'accessible and welcoming' to the 'potential' audience (the new listeners that R3 aims to attract), as per official station strategy. The interesting point is what presenters actually do to sound accessible and welcoming. Does it militate against providing an expert, highly knowledgeable service?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Am I alone in finding the words "A very warm welcome" particularly insincere?

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                You may be, who knows? - I have no problem with Rob giving me a warm welcome!!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  Rob's a warm-hearted fellah, and I'm sure it is sincere, but I remember when Brian Kay used to start his BKLP with, "And a very good Thursday afternoon to you" and I could feel my face screwing up as if finding I'd stepped in something.

It's as if a radio station is either welcoming or UNwelcoming. Where did the idea come from that when you switch on a radio station you have to feel WELCOME? The whole concept indicates a different expectation of what 'listeners' (all of 'em) want from listening to the radio.

"And if you're the kind of listener that doesn't want to feel welcome, you're damn well not welcome."

That said, the best presenters don't tend to put people off.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    ...in Prague...
                    But never by Istvan Kertesz .

Comment

• Honoured Guest

With modern technology, any listener can tweet an immediate response at any time, so the whole audience is present at the programme in a way that wasn't possible in the past. Why would anyone remain present anywhere they're made unwelcome or even not made welcome?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

That's right. Listening to all the tweeted guff makes many people feel unwelcome.

It's supposed to be an intelligent radio programme - not a morning gossip .

Oh, and …er… we aren't present at the programme at all. I'm in my house and the announcer is in a studio 250 miles away, so "thank you for joining me" is rather hollow and patronising.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Ena, are you one of these "many people" made to "feel unwelcome" at Essential Classics? If so, does this make you less likely to listen to it? I'd expect that most people would listen less often where they feel unwelcome, and more often where they feel welcome. That's the whole point of trying to make the listener welcome.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                            With modern technology, any listener can tweet an immediate response at any time, so the whole audience is present at the programme in a way that wasn't possible in the past. Why would anyone remain present anywhere they're made unwelcome or even not made welcome?
                            phones worked ok. The whole audience? actually the ones "present" to the BBC are the ones who tweet/text/email things that they want to hear.
                            Email about an offensive comment by a presenter and you get an automated response.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                              Ena, are you one of these "many people" made to "feel unwelcome" at Essential Classics? If so, does this make you less likely to listen to it? I'd expect that most people would listen less often where they feel unwelcome, and more often where they feel welcome. That's the whole point of trying to make the listener welcome.
                              How can any sane person feel welcome or unwelcome? The listener isn't there, however much you like to dress it up.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                phones worked ok. The whole audience? actually the ones "present" to the BBC are the ones who tweet/text/email things that they want to hear.
                                Email about an offensive comment by a presenter and you get an automated response.
                                Your e-mail is received, and you're present. If you don't wish to be present, you're free to leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X