X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parsloe-Parsloe

Whatever Happened to Surprises

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    That could because we've all switched off from morning listening now that Radio 3 has become so utterly crass at this time.

My question to Roger Wright is: "What is the point in having 2 x Classic FM?"
    I still listen to Radio 3 Breakfast and Essential Classics on occasion in the hope that they will have seen the light and stopped the drift into CFM. Sadly I cannot remember the last time I heard something on either that made me really listen, that surprised me. Endless JS Bach introduced in reverential tones, Russian Romantics and Brahms played in beige. So much inoffensive wallpaper music (sorry Bach lovers, I hope soon to found the Anti-Bach League). The reason I began listening to Radio 3 many years back was to hear new things, new composers, the byways of music, not more or less the record collections my parents and their generation had. I entirely agree with the sentiment expressed above - why match Classic FM?

A word in fairness: COTW does now and then meet the surprise remit - the Sigurdsson on their Iceland jaunt was a revelation, and sent me to i-tunes as soon as I got out of the car that day.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parsloe-Parsloe View Post
      I still listen to Radio 3 Breakfast and Essential Classics on occasion in the hope that they will have seen the light and stopped the drift into CFM. Sadly I cannot remember the last time I heard something on either that made me really listen, that surprised me. .
      Welcome, Sir Gregory. We are honoured to enjoy the company of the only man ever to have been thrown out of the Café de l'Europe for trying to raise the price of a bottle of champagne by raffling his trousers at the bar. May you prosper here.

I would qualify your comment only by saying that once in a while (sometimes, as a result of an interesting 'guest'), Essential Classics does yield an interesting performance which has opened my ears. Douglas Kennedy at the end of Feb was an example (Sibelius 7, Boston/Davis). But not enough.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MLF View Post
        Agreed - simply dropping the constant refrains of "please tweet or text", temperatures and newspaper reviews would improve Breakfast enormously. EC would be rendered half listenable if the patronising "what am I" slot were dropped. (The recent series of interviews during the "Music on the Brink" feature was really rather good.) That and a new name - EC sounds like a Classic FM anthology.
        I suggest something simple like 'CD MASTERS'

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

I see that the Essential Classics webpage has K608 down as being a Fantasia for Mechanical Clock (sic).

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            I see that the Essential Classics webpage has K608 down as being a Fantasia for Mechanical Clock (sic).
            Quite right too. "Ein Orgel StĂĽck fĂĽr eine Uhr", i.e. an organ piece for a clock.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Quite right too. "Ein Orgel StĂĽck fĂĽr eine Uhr", i.e. an organ piece for a clock.
              Not a 'clockwork organ'? He wrote to his wife in Oct 1790, 'I have now made up my mind to compose at once the Adagio for the clockmaker...' Anderson thought this was K 515, but noted that it was the same instrument as for K608 and K616.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Not a 'clockwork organ'?
                Dangerously close to:

what?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Yes, that's what google suggested I might want when I searched for 'clockwork organ' I told it, No.
                  Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Dangerously close to:

what?
                  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart "Fantasy in F-minor for a clockwork organ (Allegro,Andante,(Allegro)), KV608"

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

This is a wind-up!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      This is a wind-up!
                      *groan*
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

What links these 3 pieces of music?

The Rite of Spring, Spring Song, Appalachian Spring.

Tweet or text us..

Groan

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

i confess that i have lost it with Mr Cowan .... instant he speaks the radio gets it .... i fear this is incurable before noon
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            i confess that i have lost it with Mr Cowan .... instant he speaks the radio gets it .... i fear this is incurable before noon
                            ... I lost it with him ages back. I don't share his tastes, pertick'ly his clear belief that all the best recordings were made before 1969, and his consequent discomfort with HIPP, - but it's the insufferable sentimental oleaginous need-to-be-loved that makes listening intolerable...

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... it's the insufferable sentimental oleaginous need-to-be-loved that makes listening intolerable...
                              Not only sentimental but increasingly smugly sententious.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                pertick'ly his clear belief that all the best recordings were made before 1969
                                ...in Prague...

Comment

Working...
                                X