X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Hmm. Essential Classics today had Les compagnons de la chanson singing The Jimmy Brown Song, and Randy Newman.

The title Essential Classics always seemed naff and meaningless. Other than seeming to say: 'Start here on your exciting journey learning about classical music' ....

If this were a live stage show people would be shouting Geroff! and throwing rotten vegetables.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Hmm. Essential Classics today had Les compagnons de la chanson singing The Jimmy Brown Song, and Randy Newman.

Now, don't be nasty about The Singing Toadstools!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Now, don't be nasty about The Singing Toadstools!
        Every one of them a fun guy.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Hmm. Essential Classics today had Les compagnons de la chanson singing The Jimmy Brown Song
          No idea why I should remember this, but the Jimmy Brown Song was also chosen by Arthur Negus when he was a guest on Desert Island Discs. I looked up the archive to check, and see it was also chosen by Glynis Johns, and Stewart Granger. One for the Forum pub quiz.

By coincidence I have just been reading Bill Oddie's "Gripping Yarns", given to me for my birthday, a collection of his columns from "Birdwatch" magazine. "Grip" in birding parlance is to see something rare which others then attempt but fail to see, hence "Gripping them off". There is quite a lot more arcane birding parlance which hopefully Bill will have a chance to share with us before the week is out

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Every one of them a fun guy.
            But none of them leaving mushroom for anyone else.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

I used to do a fair amout of Bird Watching but found it dominated by cliques each dominated by self-appointed experts, who get very jealous and thoroughly unpleasant if they don't see the rarities. Anyreports you put in are immediately discarded if the 'experts' haven't seen them first. I did enjoy when one of the self-appointed experts misindentified a very common bird as an exotic rarity. I ended up just bird watching on my own and seeing a number of rarities (including the only British occurence of a Black Woodpecker) and keeping them to myself!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                I used to do a fair amout of Bird Watching but found it dominated by cliques each dominated by self-appointed experts, who get very jealous and thoroughly unpleasant if they don't see the rarities. Anyreports you put in are immediately discarded if the 'experts' haven't seen them first. I did enjoy when one of the self-appointed experts misindentified a very common bird as an exotic rarity. I ended up just bird watching on my own and seeing a number of rarities (including the only British occurence of a Black Woodpecker) and keeping them to myself!
                Technology and the internet have changed birding considerably - the main hub for information in your part of the world as I'm sure you know SC used to be Nancy's Café in Cley, now it's the internet. And photos of rarities tend to get disseminated almost immediately, with records committees requiring photos instead of dodgy drawings . More jargon - "stringing" - trying to turn something ordinary into a rarity You couldn't wish for a nicer bunch than the birding community hereabouts, or where I used to live for that matter....

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

What I keeps coming back to me - and this morning's playing of Pachelbels' Canon helpfully reminded me - was how on earth can / dare Rob Cowan sit at that desk and let all this happen?

He has been part of some of the very best a.m. scheduling for decades eg CD Masters, yet here he is presiding over Noddy at the Turntables. How he does not scream and walk out in the middle of the programme I do not know. Has he no dignity? No sense of what R3 ought to be doing? Or does he just shrug - 'just a DJing job, mate! Get over it.'

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

that might be someone's first hearing of Pachelbel's Canon - everybody should be allowed to hear it once

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I feel a bit sorry for the Radio 3 presenters in that they probably have a "take it or leave it" instruction by the management:

"Be chummy and patronising, or get out."

They could opt for the latter, in the knowledge that some eager-beever will fill their shoes in an instant.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        that might be someone's first hearing of Pachelbel's Canon - everybody should be allowed to hear it once
                        But since it's possible that there will be listeners, every day, who haven't yet heard it, logically it should be played every day.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

But since it's possible that there will be listeners, every day, who haven't yet heard it, logically it should be played every day.
                          I shall forward your suggestion to the relevant department
                          Last edited by mercia; 18-02-14, 11:22.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            I feel a bit sorry for the Radio 3 presenters in that they probably have a "take it or leave it" instruction by the management:

"Be chummy and patronising, or get out."

Ah yes, the "I was only following orders" line...

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              Quite, but it's surely a case of balance. One wouldn't object to the occasional lollipop if more substantial fare were the staple diet.

Comment

• Tevot
                                • Nov 2010

I wonder whether Bill Oddie will choose "on hearing the first cuckoo in Spring" ?

Comment

Working...
                                X