• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    All a-Twitter:

"On radio three now i'm about to be on a show talking about classical music which is something i know nothing about. Essential classics."

Perhaps the Executive Producer would like to join us here and explain what this is all about? and why it is such a good idea?
    Would be good if Gillian Reynolds, or one of the radio critics got hold of this.

One of Vine's twitter followers tweeted back: "But classical music could be anything by Queen, i.e. Bohemian Rhapsody was a "Essential Classic".

Another tweeted: "Tell them it's all advert music.They'll love that".

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      One of Vine's twitter followers tweeted back: "But classical music could be anything by Queen, i.e. Bohemian Rhapsody was a "Essential Classic".

Another tweeted: "Tell them it's all advert music.They'll love that".
      That's why it's good to have a comedian on. His followers love a good joke. I'm sure they would have livened up the studio.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

That's why it's good to have a comedian on. His followers love a good joke. I'm sure they would have livened up the studio.
        It was certainly laughable.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

All a-Twitter:

"On radio three now i'm about to be on a show talking about classical music which is something i know nothing about. Essential classics."

Perhaps the Executive Producer would like to join us here and explain what this is all about? and why it is such a good idea?
          The obvious answer would be ‘if you want to entice people who know nothing about classical music, the best way to do it is to let them hear their favourite celebrities saying ‘I know nothing about classical music but hey, I am on Radio 3. Come and join me’... .... ....

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It doesn't help if you've never heard of this bloke. Not only does he not know anything about classical music, he isn't even funny. I was cutting up raw chicken at the time and so couldn't reach the off switch.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
              • Nov 2010

So can we expect to see someone being interviewed and featured on a R1 programme entitled, let's say "Essential Rock" ,who knows nothing whatsoever about rock?

No? You surprise me.
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                It doesn't help if you've never heard of this bloke. Not only does he not know anything about classical music, he isn't even funny. I was cutting up raw chicken at the time and so couldn't reach the off switch.
                Probably best known for his now terminated role in the, to me, not at all enticing Not Going Out television situation 'comedy'. He also turns up occasionally on television comedy quiz shows.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                  So can we expect to see someone being interviewed and featured on a R1 programme entitled, let's say "Essential Rock" ,who knows nothing whatsoever about rock?

No? You surprise me.
                  Knowing a lot about Rock is COOL. Knowing nothing about classical music is COOL, too (not being stuck-up elite)

I haven’t even have a heart to insert [sad face]

Comment

• Jon Benger
                    • Nov 2010

I do enjoy Tim Vine's stand-up comedy, but I rather wish he hadn't agreed to participate in Essential Classics, in which his role was essentially to play the buffoon, and it didn't come across well. This week I have reverted to plan B for my morning radio 3 listening (i.e. a couple of hours of "Through the Night" on iplayer ).

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      He also turns up occasionally on television comedy quiz shows.
                      And there was I preening myself that I was one of the few people here who had heard of him because he was on the very unfunny Radio 3 Christmas comedy panel quiz from 2010 'The Right Notes in the Wrong Order' [Laugh track].

However, on checking, I see it was four other people being funny about their ignorance of music: he was a misremembering of Steve Punt and Tim Keay. So if he hadn't existed, it wouldn't have been absolutely necessary to invent him. [Laugh track].

Remember the hilarious idea? Whatever question they were asked, they didn't know the answer [Laugh track].
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                        Knowing a lot about Rock is COOL. Knowing nothing about classical music is COOL, too
                        "Don't be cool, guys; being cool is NOT cool!" (Moffatt: The Time of the Doctor)
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

And there was I preening myself that I was one of the few people here who had heard of him because he was on the very unfunny Radio 3 Christmas comedy panel quiz from 2010 'The Right Notes in the Wrong Order' [Laugh track].

However, on checking, I see it was four other people being funny about their ignorance of music: he was a misremembering of Steve Punt and Tim Keay. So if he hadn't existed, it wouldn't have been absolutely necessary to invent him. [Laugh track].

Remember the hilarious idea? Whatever question they were asked, they didn't know the answer [Laugh track].
                          Ahh:

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Ahh:
                            isn't the answer simple - he came cheap and being Xmas his agent probably even allowed him to keep the whole cd he was given .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I caught a brief segment this morning with Sarah Walker asking a historian questions that sounded as if she was reading them out without the slightest clue what she was talking about - before then in their hopelessly ill-focused and muddled Music on the Brink theme they played some Scriabin but just to soothe any new listeners she then played Tales from the Vienna Woods - so just an excuse to play more Strauss waltzes .

Contemptible programme.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                                • Nov 2010

It is normal these days to get an influx of J Strauss II at the start of January, but this year it seems to be worse than usual. Music on the Brink could have been an interesting idea if properly planned and thought through, but its coming over as rather scrappy at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X