X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Poor old Russell - I feel quite sorry, because clearly there is an audience for this kind of interview. It just isn't on a Radio 3 classical music prog. As I have pointed out, seven years ago CD Masters was in this slot - with its very keen audience. A item from about the same time then was Bartók's Cantata Profana. How can anyone think that that audiience would want to hear a media personality talking about his life story? So what's the lesson to be learnt from this change?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

You heard a Russell Grant 'interview'. I heard the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped. Or of a grave being dug for Radio 3, with Rob Cowan like the High Priest, with his desperate attempts to swing the conversation back round to music seeming increasingly banal.

I am too weary to write and complain because it only results in the receipt of an automated response, which makes me yet more weary.

Weltschmerz, thy name is Thropplenoggin.
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Black Swan

Throplenoggin

I totally agree. Normally I am at work and don't expose myself to the so called Essential Classics. But like you I heard the bottom of the barrel being scraped. Totally agree on the RC comment but then I have never been a rabid fan/supporter of him.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Quite frankly if this sort of crap had been on when I was a kid getting into classical music, I would have been put off for life. This is not, I repeat NOT the way to get kids or anyone into the great repertoire we all know. It smacks of patronising desperation and is utter garbage.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
            Throplenoggin

I totally agree. Normally I am at work and don't expose myself to the so called Essential Classics. But like you I heard the bottom of the barrel being scraped. Totally agree on the RC comment but then I have never been a rabid fan/supporter of him.
            I know that RC divides opinion, but surely his great knowledge of recorded music can better used.

What a wasted resource.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              Quite frankly if this sort of crap had been on when I was a kid getting into classical music, I would have been put off for life. This is not, I repeat NOT the way to get kids or anyone into the great repertoire we all know. It smacks of patronising desperation and is utter garbage.
              so, off topic, what is it that might intrigue newcomers , of any age, about the (very wide range of) music that we discuss on these boards?
              How should that music be presented?
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                so, off topic, what is it that might intrigue newcomers , of any age, about the (very wide range of) music that we discuss on these boards?
                An hour (or more ) of Discovering Music with different presenters introducing a different work, its history, its place in the canon, various recordings, etc. Needn't be chronological (Goodall already did that). With a section at the end: if you liked that, perhaps try this i.e. avenues to explore.

Could add a playlist of recordings available on streaming sites for listeners to use. Feedback could be followed up in a separate show - not 'live' Tweets, but collated feedback, with learned souls on hand to answer listeners' questions.
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

of course the whole point of asking questions like that is to get other people to articulate what you you already think...but with gaps so that deeper wisdom may be demonstrated...

or yes, to put it another way.

Exposure to live music is very important in developing a range of musical interests.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

The music. Pure, simple and unvarnished. A symphony orchestra in full flight is one of the great gifts of mankind. It needs no special pleading. You either respond to the noise it makes or you don't.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

The music. Pure, simple and unvarnished. A symphony orchestra in full flight is one of the great gifts of mankind. It needs no special pleading. You either respond to the noise it makes or you don't.
                      well I agree with you about that sound.
                      So how come so many more people seem to respond more to other types of music? Is it just marketing spend ?
                      as for special pleading...as @Noggo suggests, much of the music that people on this board listen to is rather complex, at times, so a bit of help in understanding is surely in order, if done well?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I know that RC divides opinion, but surely his great knowledge of recorded music can better used.

What a wasted resource.
                        I agree - and also with the "barrel-scraping", "vomit-making", "utter garbage", "patronising desperation", "crap" and "Weltschmerz" comments above. That low point for Radio 3 between 10.30 and 10.55 this morning coincided with a journey and I also had the misfortune to catch it. It seems an appropriate moment to reopen the 'nadir' thread, which I have done.

(PS I'm considering penning a short story about an unscrupulous German law firm called Krapp & Weltschmerz)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

How about a seasonal English one called Sue't and Christmas Pudding - could be dangerous if there are too many mince pies.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

The music. Pure, simple and unvarnished.
                            I have just suggested (elsewhere ) that classical music should be a regular part of the BBC's mainstream services: education by familiarisation. If there were, I would say, a short chamber music programme, piano solo, string quartet, at a regular time every week, SOME people would start to look for it who know nothing about the music. More and more often they would hear something that catches their attention.

The problem with doing it the way the BBC does it is that people are attracted to celebrities, or a reality TV show. They may not be the people who will appreciate the music. Once the winner is announced, they'll be waiting for the next 'Big Brother' show.

Just play the music, in programmes that aren't too long. The important thing is that they should hear it regularly, not for six weeks while a series is on. I only say chamber music because that would be simple and cheap for the BBC to provide, week in, week out. And the full orchestra at intervals.By the time it gets to the Proms season, people will start to take more interest. In theory
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              How about a seasonal English one called Sue't and Christmas Pudding - could be dangerous if there are too many mince pies.
                              Viet Minh spies?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
                                I heard, unfortunately, part of the Russell Grant interview today. He wasn't even in the same studio, the sound quality was different and it sounded very 'edited' All about his encounter with the Queen Mother - vomit making!!! Shouldn't be allowed.
                                Blimey,whatever next ?

Comment

Working...
                                X