X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    ... The whole concept seems very flawed (imho) and I don't see what R3 actually gains.
    your initial premise that R3 will switch back to a 'strictly classical mode' is flawed - it won't - the ratchet has now gone a couple of stops further towards a cross between R2(as was) and CFm

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      But. If the object of the film music theme is to attract new listeners, what happens to those new listeners once Radio 3 switches back at the end of the month to a strictly classical mode?

Surely they won't stick around and those of us who have given up may not drift back ...
      And will they want to put up with more than five minutes of this overkill anyway? Someone who enjoys the odd burst of John Williams between the more populist works of Mozart etc. may well get sick of the cloyingness of it all.

At the other end of the scale, it may even be too intellectual! By the time the presenter has explained the context to the piece, with reference to the European emigres, development of the film noir and the decline of the Hollywood studio system, followed by something that isn't the Superman theme, they may well have switched back to Cfm.

The crying shame is that there's some good stuff being played and some good commentary on it. In small doses I'd make a point of listening. But I've more or less turned off until it's over.

Comment

• Black Swan

I suggest there is some merit in all the film broadcasts. The US Homeland Security can download the Podcasts, as I heard they are available, to play to the prisoners in Guantanamo instead of Water Boarding.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          What on earth has Dr Sarah Walker been taking? Today's "brainteaser" quiz was promised to be "challenging" and put together by "boffins". I was expecting, at the least, a multi-part question along the lines of those that used to be posed in the Gramophone, involving laborious checking in Grove and hunting out obscure long forgotten records. What we got was "Juliet as a Young Girl", and were then asked to text or tweet in who was dancing. Jeez.
          There's a Noddy/Blue Peter aspect to the brainteaser thing that's utterly nauseating. Is it Susan Sharpe that's forced to read out the three clues .... in.... the.... slow.... word.... by... word... style that might be more appropriate to educationally-challenged 5-year-olds...? Awful... and as Norfy has just pointed out elsewhere, it's set in stone now (I had the feeling that in the past it was more occasional):
          Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          If you take the 'Radio Times', you will have noticed (and if you don't, you may well have suspected, or deduced) that Essential Classics is now officially segmented - or do I mean fragmented:
          0900 Essential CD of the Week
          0930 The daily brain teaser
          1000 Artist of the Week
          1030 Guest of the Week
          1100 Host's Essential Choice
          On Mondays, there is also the Building a Library recommendation
          This week, the essential choices - which occupy the longest segment - could fairly be described as 'risk-averse': Brahms 2nd piano concerto, Britten Serenade, Mozart 'Prague' symphony, Schubert 'Unfinished'.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Announcing the different parts of the programme can act two ways: for those who hate the guest spot or brainteaser, you can easily avoid them but still listen - thus keeping the audience figures up. (Alternatively, if you really look forward to a daily mental work-out, you can tune in specially for the brainteaser...)
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Would CFM have a listing in its on-line schedule such as this?

Orchestra: RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra.
              Performer: Кирилл Петрович Кондрашин.

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Would CFM have a listing in its on-line schedule such as this?
                "Orchestra: RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra. Performer: Кирилл Петрович Кондрашин."
                At this very moment about 50 forum members have covered the carpet in booklets out of their 6,000+ CDs of dead performers, attempting to be the first to post his/her/its identity before the footie starts...

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Obviously the Beeb expects us all to be au fait with the cyrillic alphabet, but for those who aren't I'm happy to attribute it to Kiril Kondrashin.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    Obviously the Beeb expects us all to be au fait with the cyrillic alphabet, but for those who aren't I'm happy to attribute it to Kiril Kondrashin.
                    Ahem. Kyril Petrovich Kondrashin, I think you intended, surely?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Well if we're doing patronymics, bien sur.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

but nobody got it before kickoff, so Zuchers must be disappointed.....
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

What it surely shows is that whoever prepared the online playlist hadn't a clue who it was and just pasted the Cyrillic version. I noticed this a couple of days ago where a couple of works had the conductor as Васи́лий Серафи́мович Сина́йский .

The BBC Concert Orchestra plays the top 20 pieces of film music as voted for by listeners.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Just to say that while I only remember a few, mainly chemistry related, words of Russian from my "Science Russian" classes at school, I can transliterate Cyrilic easily enough. I just thought it amusing that the Beeb appeared to expect all Essential Classics listeners to be conversant with it.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 15-10-13, 21:54. Reason: Origianally sent from Sony Xperia Z. Damned predictive text!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              What it surely shows is that whoever prepared the online playlist hadn't a clue who it was and just pasted the Cyrillic version. I noticed this a couple of days ago where a couple of works had the conductor as Васи́лий Серафи́мович Сина́йский .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bfpm4
                              And he's one of their own!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                And he's one of their own!
                                Remind me, who was the previous PGC of the BBC Phil?

Ooh, let me see, wasn't is Васи́лий Серафи́мович Сина́йский ?

Yeah, I think you're right, Васи́лий Серафи́мович Сина́йский it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X