X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... from the Radio Times today :

"Katherine Jenkins has always been an evangelist for classical music and the Welsh mezzo-soprano now brings her pitch-perfect proselytising to Classic FM for this new 12-part series. And she reckons her musical choices for this global exploration are ideal for both beginners and buffs: "These are the pieces of music I like to think of as essential classics. So, whether you're just getting into classical music or you're already a fan, I promise you the best, and the most beautiful, on a journey that will take us around the world and across the centuries." Future episodes focus on such diverse areas as film soundtracks, Russian music and opera but today she concentrates on the best of British, from Purcell to Britten, Elgar and Vaughan Williams to Maxwell Davies and Karl Jenkins."

Is there now any difference - any difference at all? - between the morning offerings of Radio Three and those of Classic FM??

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... from the Radio Times today :

"Katherine Jenkins has always been an evangelist for classical music and the Welsh mezzo-soprano now brings her pitch-perfect proselytising to Classic FM for this new 12-part series. And she reckons her musical choices for this global exploration are ideal for both beginners and buffs: "These are the pieces of music I like to think of as essential classics. So, whether you're just getting into classical music or you're already a fan, I promise you the best, and the most beautiful, on a journey that will take us around the world and across the centuries." Future episodes focus on such diverse areas as film soundtracks, Russian music and opera but today she concentrates on the best of British, from Purcell to Britten, Elgar and Vaughan Williams to Maxwell Davies and Karl Jenkins."

Is there now any difference - any difference at all? - between the morning offerings of Radio Three and those of Classic FM??
      Classic FM ain't got no Cowan; the man appears a veritable deipnosophist in comparison.
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Classic FM ain't got no Cowan; the man appears a veritable deipnosophist in comparison.
        Throppo, did you ever have a creative input into "The Good Old Days?"
        too young perhaps.
        If they revive it.....offer your services !
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Throppo, did you ever have a creative input into "The Good Old Days?"
          too young perhaps.
          If they revive it.....offer your services !
          And there I was thinking myself a pioneer in the art of perspicacious persiflage....

Huzzah!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

And there I was thinking myself a pioneer in the art of perspicacious persiflage....

Huzzah!
            if not the original then the best, 'Noggo !!

Glad i don't have to play you at scrabble. If we meet queuing at the RAH, don't bother getting the board out.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              if not the original then the best, 'Noggo !!

Glad i don't have to play you at scrabble. If we meet queuing at the RAH, don't bother getting the board out.
              Too kind, sir.

In my experience, it's the funny little words - Qi and such - that are Scrabble winners. I expect your critical theory -isms would stand you in good stead.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

I enjoyed the JC Bach Symphony in G Minor played this morning by Concerto Coln. A new work to me, but lovely, just lovely, especially the slow movement.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Classic FM ain't got no Cowan.
                  ... yes, Classic FM certainly does have that advantage.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

Someone needs to tell Rob Cowan the CD's stuck.

Oh, it's meant to sound like that?!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Someone needs to tell Rob Cowan the CD's stuck.

Oh, it's meant to sound like that?!

"Oh dear. How sad. Never mind."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

It lulled me into a false sense of thinking it was interesting. 2 minutes of this pattern...and change slightly...for another 2 minutes. I was not so much entranced as feeling nauseous by the 7th minute (I did try).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It lulled me into a false sense of thinking it was interesting. 2 minutes of this pattern...and change slightly...for another 2 minutes. I was not so much entranced as feeling nauseous by the 7th minute (I did try).
                          Throppers - and pace Bryn - I too gave it my best shot, indeed I stuck with it as I'd missed the name of the composer - the effect of the music involuntary and physiological, nothing to do with philistinism or similar. A knot of tension forms at the back of my head. There must be some research on the effect of minimalist music on the brain, or some people's brains, I'd be grateful for a link. I can confirm that it's dangerous to listen to it while driving.

The curious thing is I do like the Penguin Café Orchestra which has minimalist tendencies.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                            Throppers - and pace Bryn - I too gave it my best shot, indeed I stuck with it as I'd missed the name of the composer - the effect of the music involuntary and physiological, nothing to do with philistinism or similar. A knot of tension forms at the back of my head. There must be some research on the effect of minimalist music on the brain, or some people's brains, I'd be grateful for a link. I can confirm that it's dangerous to listen to it while driving.

The curious thing is I do like the Penguin Café Orchestra which has minimalist tendencies.
                            Well put, Richard.

And there I was expecting to be awash in waves of forumite-opprobrium...

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

... I can confirm that it's dangerous to listen to it while driving.
                              Hmm, I listen to it fairly often (I have several recordings of the work) while driving. I find it no hazard at all. Far from it.

May I recommend the Nadia Tass film Malcolm to you. Jeffes's music is used most effectively in it. The convertible car (no, not the stripped down tram on the DVD's cover) is a real gem.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thank you on both counts Bryn.

I've just googled Effect on listener of minimalist music, in an attempt to understand its effect on me. It seems to be a huge subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X