• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    Delightful to hear French phonemes shattering apart on Rob Cowan's tongue, as he regaled us with the details of the César Franck piece.
    Cracked me up on me bike!

The gelatinous sound of GR QC's treacly voice soon wiped the smile off, though
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      A pretty major flaw, I'd say. Like Satie, he may have made his early living playing in houses of ill repute, but also like Satie he is essentially a classical composer (even iff not in Mr. Grew's front ranking. Must give Treemonisha a spin again soon.
      Probably not the same flaw as I had in mind. A 'classical composer' (what that?) doesn't necessarily compose only classical music, just because he has some concert pieces to his name. Gershwin was no more famed for his classical compositions as John Williams. And a Joplin piece described on publication as a 'ragtime two step' would be unlikely to be included on most people's list of classical music.

My 'flaw' - as opposed to your 'flaw' - was in assuming that a 'classic' ( as in e.g. Essential Classics) must refer to classical music. It may be rock music, jazz, a (n Issigonis) mini.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Delightful to hear French phonemes shattering apart on Rob Cowan's tongue
        We had another Rob Cowan Spanish multiple pile-up the other day, with "Malagwaynia" and "Rodrigwes". I was only just getting over him pronouncing "Lecuona" more or less acceptably, if you're driving it really is quite dangerous.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          We had another Rob Cowan Spanish multiple pile-up the other day, with "Malagwaynia" and "Rodrigwes". I was only just getting over him pronouncing "Lecuona" more or less acceptably, if you're driving it really is quite dangerous.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I am not sure I would want to hear Geoffrey Robertson Q.C discussing music - he is however a very fine human rights lawyer and his book Freedom, the Individual and the Law - though sadly not updated for a very long time - is one of the all time great books on civil liberties .

The Justice Game is also well worth a read .

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I am not sure I would want to hear Geoffrey Robertson Q.C discussing music - he is however a very fine human rights lawyer and his book Freedom, the Individual and the Law - though sadly not updated for a very long time - is one of the all time great books on civil liberties .

I would also strongly recommend his The Case of the Pope--- but don't tell scotty!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Rob Cowan's recommendation for GR QC:

F*** Tha Police - N.W.A. ...... 90s L.A. gangsta rap for those scratching their heads, though it is here played by a viol consort and sung by Ian Bostridge
                  Sexy Mother F***** - Prince ...... Remy Fleming blasting her pipes out in this falsetto cover version.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Rob Cowan's recommendation for GR QC:

F*** Tha Police - N.W.A. ...... 90s L.A. gangsta rap for those scratching their heads, though it is here played by a viol consort and sung by Ian Bostridge
                    Sexy Mother F***** - Prince ...... Remy Fleming blasting her pipes out in this falsetto cover version.

Any suggestions?

I too was going through the options in my mind as that bit of obscenity-free Chabrier was played!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

A bit of civilisation and culture restored this week, esp. appealing perhaps for Welsh Forumites - Welsh actor Paul Rhys. An appealing and modest character, judging by this morning's outing.

(Good actor too - amazing as Edgar / Poor Tom in the Ian Holm 'Lear' I went to several times at the NT )

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        A bit of civilisation and culture restored this week, esp. appealing perhaps for Welsh Forumites - Welsh actor Paul Rhys. An appealing and modest character, judging by this morning's outing.

(Good actor too - amazing as Edgar / Poor Tom in the Ian Holm 'Lear' I went to several times at the NT )
                        What you mean to say is no bloody lawyer........

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Heard todays interview. Really engaging stuff, and will try to catch more.
                          If you HAVE to play a BC, the first mvt of Death an the Maiden isn't the worst choice ever....(though a well trodden path , for sure !)
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            What you mean to say is no bloody lawyer........
                            You are in trenchant form this evening, Lord Sidcup!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Today, after the first movement of Shostakovich 7, Sarah announced that Becky Ward had tweeted to say that her dusting had been getting more and more frenetic during it. There's really no more to be said about R3 today.

Comment

• JFLL
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                Today, after the first movement of Shostakovich 7, Sarah announced that Becky Ward had tweeted to say that her dusting had been getting more and more frenetic during it. There's really no more to be said about R3 today.
                                I do wonder whether there’s some machiavellian plot by intelligent announcers to push the whole ‘interactivity’ thing to its absurd limit, in the hope that listeners will switch off in droves (if they haven’t already), the ratings will plummet and the suits will cry ‘enough!’. Maybe, even, some of these tweets/emails are spoofs? Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                                X