• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    Kinelle,what's happening to Radio 3 ?
    I blame football hooligans.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Part of the answer to this morning's brain teaser was Eric Coates's By A Sleepy Lagoon, which he then played in its entirety. Geoffrey Robertson was waiting in the wings for his interview, I an surprised that Rob didn't play the piece as an introduction!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Part of the answer to this morning's brain teaser was Eric Coates's By A Sleepy Lagoon, which he then played in its entirety. Geoffrey Robertson was waiting in the wings for his interview, I an surprised that Rob didn't play the piece as an introduction!
        Pleasant listening or not, it's hard to see why Scott Joplin and Novello's We'll Gather Lilacs have a place in a programme called Essential Classics.

Hmm. Already I see the flaw in my argument ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Pleasant listening or not, it's hard to see why Scott Joplin and Novello's We'll Gather Lilacs have a place in a programme called Essential Classics.
          Nor that Lalo Spanish thing, what a bore! (Nice to hear old Ida fiddling away though, I suppose)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Listened to some of the interview today, by way of research. At the end, I am sure RC said "Thank you for talking at me".

Perhaps that was in my mind. These interviews really are better when the guest knows something about music, and preferably has a normal sized ego.
            (no swearing at all on the bit heard, which was strangely disappointing.)
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

... it's hard to see why Scott Joplin ... [has] a place in a programme called Essential Classics.

Hmm. Already I see the flaw in my argument ...
              A pretty major flaw, I'd say. Like Satie, he may have made his early living playing in houses of ill repute, but also like Satie he is essentially a classical composer (even iff not in Mr. Grew's front ranking. Must give Treemonisha a spin again soon.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Listened to some of the interview today, by way of research. At the end, I am sure RC said "Thank you for talking at me".

Perhaps that was in my mind. These interviews really are better when the guest knows something about music, and preferably has a normal sized ego.
                (no swearing at all on the bit heard, which was strangely disappointing.)
                I see yesterday's EC also had a 'content which might offend' warning.

I was not impressed by his 'knowledge of music'. He could make comments about the pieces he chose e.g. being taken to hear Sutherland and Pavarotti when he was younger. But I didn't find that particularly illuminating in itself.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

I haven't heard Monday or Tuesday's broadcasts, but I see in today's Telegraph Gillian Reynolds writes thus:

Poor Rob Cowan on Essential Classics (Radio 3, Monday and yesterday) was left quivering by some “bad” language employed by his guest Geoffrey Robertson QC when describing three colourful past cases, variously defending a T-shirt inscription, the Sex Pistols and rapper Ice T. All the words, of course, are on the legal record and each significant one, this listener had no doubt, was being quoted for maximum “listen to me” effect. Cowan kept apologising if anyone had taken offence. Robertson promptly pledged not to use the word “pleb”

It strikes me that Rob's Guest is a bit of an attention-seeking t***** but perhaps it pushes the ratings up??

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    I haven't heard Monday or Tuesday's broadcasts, but I see in today's Telegraph Gillian Reynolds writes thus:

Poor Rob Cowan on Essential Classics (Radio 3, Monday and yesterday) was left quivering by some “bad” language employed by his guest Geoffrey Robertson QC when describing three colourful past cases, variously defending a T-shirt inscription, the Sex Pistols and rapper Ice T. All the words, of course, are on the legal record and each significant one, this listener had no doubt, was being quoted for maximum “listen to me” effect. Cowan kept apologising if anyone had taken offence. Robertson promptly pledged not to use the word “pleb”

It strikes me that Rob's Guest is a bit of an attention-seeking t***** but perhaps it pushes the ratings up??
                    Online here.

The headline 'When bad language makes brilliant radio' was NOT referring to Essential Clasics, be it said, but to the poem by Tony Harrison. I don't know if Rob was actually 'quivering' but he was tittering rather nervously.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Nor that Lalo Spanish thing, what a bore! (Nice to hear old Ida fiddling away though, I suppose)
                      Oh, how I agree, caliban! The Lalo would certainly go into my musical room 101! Any other candidates ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

It strikes me that Rob's Guest is a bit of an attention-seeking t*****
                        Nice comment by Ms Reynolds and I agree wholeheartedly with Ms Anna's final shot
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I see yesterday's EC also had a 'content which might offend' warning.

I was not impressed by his 'knowledge of music'. He could make comments about the pieces he chose e.g. being taken to hear Sutherland and Pavarotti when he was younger. But I didn't find that particularly illuminating in itself.
                          his knowledge of (and love of) classical seemed to be confined to some Beethoven. Perhaps I am misjudging.
                          Won't bother tomorrow though !

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

My not-so learned friend...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Delightful to hear French phonemes shattering apart on Rob Cowan's tongue, as he regaled us with the details of the César Franck piece.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                I love that old Spanish thing . Especially in the Haendel/Ancerl recording .

Comment

Working...
                                X