Essential Classics - The Continuing Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deckerd

Has anyone noticed the recordings jumping on the odd occasion today? I've noticed it twice. Just now in the Tristan und Isolde (why do they never play the Liebestod sung?)

I quite enjoyed the bollocks. I don't hold that only musicians can have anything to do with the show.

Actually ignore that thing about jumping. It's probably the way I'm listening, since my radio died.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I often feel like swearing at essential Classics rather more than hearing swearing on it !

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Deckerd View Post
        I don't hold that only musicians can have anything to do with the show.
        No, but it would be preferable if they were particularly knowledgeable about the music they were choosing. Asking them about their life and career just turns the feature into Desert Island Discs.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
          • Nov 2010

I don't suppose the "bollocks" was used in the context of the EC programme, was it? As in "this, is a load of old bollocks, Rob. Put on a complete symphony for the rest of the programme and let's go for a beer." Now, THAT I would appreciate!
          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            No, but it would be preferable if they were particularly knowledgeable about the music they were choosing. Asking them about their life and career just turns the feature into Desert Island Discs.
            Just listened to today's and to my dim ears he sounded knowledgeable....

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Just listened to today's and to my dim ears he sounded knowledgeable....
              My response was simply replying to Deckerd's that they didn't have to be musicians (I agree). But if you want to listen to chatty guests talking about themselves ...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Deckerd

Does Sue Lawley still do DID? I never could thole her.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Rob Cowan appears to have been infected by the Robertson profanobug. I am convinced that, earlier in this morning's programme, he very nearly called Ida Haendel 'our arsetit of the week.'

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                    Rob Cowan appears to have been infected by the Robertson profanobug. I am convinced that, earlier in this morning's programme, he very nearly called Ida Haendel 'our arsetit of the week.'

R3 obviously has a list of profanities with a limit as to what can be passed w/o comment. Today's EC is online with no Parental Guidance.

DID: As far as I can see, latest episode is "Cricket commentator Jonathan Agnew is interviewed by Kirsty Young. " I seem to remember SL's role had been taken over by KY. And if you don't know who KY is - bother you!!! (Apparently)

As for Jonathan Agnew, I don't know what his interests are, but I can give you the name of his agent.

The QC's interests are tennis, opera, fishing ...

Comment

• Deckerd

KY's fine. Scottish of course.

Comment

• amateur51

I think that Kirsty Young is the finest presenter that DID has ever had. She is empathetic when necessary, and also a tad brusque when necessary. I've heard her draw some extraordinarily moving interviews out of some unlikely characters, e.g., Gok Wan
                        Last edited by Guest; 19-02-13, 15:15. Reason: repetition

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                          That is very, very naughty, utct
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

A bit of a shame that the BBC did not use some of Ida H's Proms performances rather than her old recordings. She chose some of her favourites for a short series with Humphrey Burton a few years ago .

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Now we ******* do.
                              Missed it as I was listening to some music.or possibly working.

********s.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Kinelle,what's happening to Radio 3 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X