Essential Classics - The Continuing Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Get well soon, ts! It's cold & rotten out there so don't go out until you're truly recovered

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Get well soon, ts! It's cold & rotten out there so don't go out until you're truly recovered

Yes get well soon ts - 3 points over the weekend will help I'm sure.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        i have spent a good deal of this week in bed with a really rotten cold. I have found EC very soothing.
        Get well soon ts,serious stuff man flu.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I very much enjoyed the final hour of EC yesterday. Delius - Daybreak and Glazunov - The Seasons. I don't like Glazunov the man for what he did to Rachmaninoff but I couldn't fault that work at all. It was the perfect accompaniment to decorating the tree.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I have enjoyed several pieces on R3 today.Rob played what I thought a lovely performance of Sibelius Sym 3 conducted by Paavo Berglund - I didn't catch the nameof the orchestra, was it the BSO HS?

Later I actually enjoyed the Grieg PC, hackneyed or not, and Schubert Symphony 5. I think it's because I'vehad a break from music for various reasons. Credit where it's due

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

salymap

The Sibelius 3 was excellent, and Berglund was conducting the Helsinki Philharmonic from his complete set with them. I only have his earlier Bournemouth recordings, but now I'm tempted !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

And today, this was absolutely terrific I thought:

Joseph Haydn
                Symphony No. 92 in G ‘Oxford’

Performers: Finnish Chamber Orchestra, Paavo Berglund (conductor)

ONDINE ODE 801-2

Not repertoire one might associate with the great Paavo. Just shows you. Well it showed me, anyway!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  And today, this was absolutely terrific I thought:

Joseph Haydn
                  Symphony No. 92 in G ‘Oxford’

Performers: Finnish Chamber Orchestra, Paavo Berglund (conductor)

ONDINE ODE 801-2

Not repertoire one might associate with the great Paavo. Just shows you. Well it showed me, anyway!
                  It would appear that opinions are changing on the content of Essential Classics and maybe the title of this thread should just be changed simply to Essential Classics.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    It would appear that opinions are changing on the content of Essential Classics and maybe the title of this thread should just be changed simply to Essential Classics.
                    I've always stuck up for the programme broadly-speaking I think, certainly after 10 o'clock and subject to the 'guest' being half decent.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A long car journey yesterday, listening on and off today, and yes an interesting guest, so full marks. My main concern today was to hope that they'd wiped down the controls for Sarah after Rob bringing his stinking cold to work yesterday (and doubtless giving it to the studio team, just in time for Xmas). I've caught more colds than enough at work from people being martyrs, thank goodness for retirement.

I've picked up a couple of interesting CDs thanks to Sarah W's Essential CD (or whatever it's called) in the last year, both for plucked instruments.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        A long car journey yesterday, listening on and off today, and yes an interesting guest, so full marks.
                        Interesting indeed - an engaging personality that never gets in the way of what she's talking about and she is, I believe, at the summit of her profession and has arguably done more than anyone to enhance people's enjoyment of her subject.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Interesting indeed - an engaging personality that never gets in the way of what she's talking about and she is, I believe, at the summit of her profession and has arguably done more than anyone to enhance people's enjoyment of her subject.
                          Jancis Robinson is always interesting, has a great subject to talk about and a very attractive voice - I just don't think that the guest spot on EC, dotted with bleeding chunks of music is good idea - I'd rather have a good full 30 minute work. Also what has happened to the programme information on line - I noted from this thread that there have been Berglund recordings but ehat and when? I have now to pootle through on iplayer to find them.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I noted from this thread that there have been Berglund recordings but ehat and when? I have now to pootle through on iplayer to find them.
                            Go to yesterday's prog about 1 hour in (i.e. at approx 10am) for the Haydn I mention above

I agree, when I say I have enjoyed the guest 'spot' I always feel a bit guilty, because I don't like the idea in principal and share your view about having a full work. Then again, a couple of choices on this 'Private Passions Lite' have taught me a piece or a performance I didn't know. I haven't heard Jancis R, glancing at her choices I'm rather glad as 'Tatiana's Letter Scene' from EO is one of my absolute "NO! NO!" pieces, I can't stand it.

'Twill be fun to have AMcG for the rest of the week, anyway - interesting to hear him free of the CD Review format...

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

PlusRC had a couple of interesting bits and bobs today.

Minus.The guest spot really grinds my gears.

What great shows he could do, if given a free hand. (as long as he kept off the Glazunov !!)
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                PlusRC had a couple of interesting bits and bobs today.

Minus.The guest spot really grinds my gears.

What great shows he could do, if given a free hand. (as long as he kept off the Glazunov !!)
                                He used to they called it CD Masters! It would be nice to give enough leeway to adjust the time of the guest spot to play the whole of BaL works which last 80 + minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X