Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    The 'design guru' Somebody Bayley this week seems to rejoice in being a self-proclaimed musical ignoramus. What do we gain by having these people on?
    An entire career and reputation smacked heartily to the boundary, one bounce & over the ropes by Cali

Weep into your muesli Bayley, you no-mark

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      An entire career and reputation smacked heartily to the boundary, one bounce & over the ropes by Cali

To be fair, I think self-deprecation is one of his little 'trade-marks' ... I still query the usefulness or appropriateness of peopling a station like Radio 3 with people like him.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I am afraid I find Sarah Walker's voice like curdled cream . I have had the misfortune of hearing quite a bit of the programme this week - the car CD player being kaput and she talks even more drivel than Cowan . Moreover, it is clear that neither of them have any idea how to interview someone .

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Weep into your muesli Bayley, you no-mark
          You'd think we were taliking about Trevor 'Boilers' Bailey mind you, his stone-walling rarely troubled the ropes!

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Is Caliban South African?

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
              Is Caliban South African?
              May I respectfully suggest that, if you wish to conduct an online seminar on the links between sport, ethnicity and slavery in 'The Tempest', you really ought to start a separate thread?

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

Only a poor comment on Am51's msg 346 by one who had seen South Africans hitting Englishmen many times to the boundary over the last few days, Northender.

Never fear, I won't bother you further in this thread.

Comment

• Northender

My wife has always maintained that my sense of humour is sometimes too subtle ('twisted' is the actual word she uses) for my own good.
                  When I first met her, I noticed her accent and asked her which part of Australia she came from. 'Cape Town', she replied...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                    May I respectfully suggest that, if you wish to conduct an online seminar on the links between sport, ethnicity and slavery in 'The Tempest', you really ought to start a separate thread?

For every trifle are they set upon me;
                    Sometime like apes, that moe and chatter at me,
                    And after, bite me; then like hedgehogs, which
                    Lie tumbling in my barefoot way, and mount
                    Their pricks at my footfall; sometime am I
                    All wound with adders, who, with cloven tongues,
                    Do hiss me into madness.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      What do we gain by having these people on?
                      Usually a bleeding chunk of an essential classic, where we could have the full work if we didn't have the, usually boring, guest.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Having not listened for ages has this programme improved or is it as bad as ever ?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Having not listened for ages has this programme improved or is it as bad as ever ?
                          It remains a bit of a curate's egg for me. However, since I am only around to hear it at the time of broadcast one day most weeks, I generally pick what I want from it via the iPlayer after the broadcast. That selection is usually from the final hour of the programme. Bring back CD Masters!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I agree about the curate's egg, but this morning's programme was rather good, at least after I started listening at about 10 o'clock. We had Barenboim in Mozart's K 453, followed by Howard Jacobson's interview and his choice of La ci darem la mano from the famous Giulini Don Giovanni followed by the first movement of Beethoven's Op. 135 String Quartet. Then came Grainger's Shallow Brown from those famous Britten recordings, Brahms's Double concerto with Heifetz and Piatigorsky, Michelangeli playing Debussy's Children's Corner, and finally Holst's The Perfect Fool conducted superbly by Richard Hickox
                            True, we only got one movement of the Beethoven, but it was an enjoyable morning with rather less gush from Sarah than usual.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              I agree about the curate's egg, but this morning's programme was rather good, at least after I started listening at about 10 o'clock. We had Barenboim in Mozart's K 453, followed by Howard Jacobson's interview and his choice of La ci darem la mano from the famous Giulini Don Giovanni followed by the first movement of Beethoven's Op. 135 String Quartet. Then came Grainger's Shallow Brown from those famous Britten recordings, Brahms's Double concerto with Heifetz and Piatigorsky, Michelangeli playing Debussy's Children's Corner, and finally Holst's The Perfect Fool conducted superbly by Richard Hickox
                              True, we only got one movement of the Beethoven, but it was an enjoyable morning with rather less gush from Sarah than usual.
                              Agreed, Essential Classics is a lot better than it used to be, at least from 10 - 11.30 when I catch it.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Well, I can't stand much more talking over BCs and just now when I switched on SW was asking a silly question about food and music. Furthermore, I have two more chances.

What has happened to the lovely channel we had in the past. I feel really sad about it.

Curate's Egg indeed. After posting above a couple of hours ago I've just listened to a lovely performance of Mozart's Concerto for flute and harp. As someone [Cali ?},said it gets better later in the programme.
                                Last edited by salymap; 18-10-12, 11:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X