Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    The Highlights button is just below the main banner, rather faint.

That box, on the page given, says 'Posts by Page', not 'Highlights'. It does give drop down, with 'Highlights' on it, I now see, but 'Posts by Others' is a different choice, nothing to do with Highlights, it seems. Anyway - thanks, I've got there!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      That box, on the page given, says 'Posts by Page', not 'Highlights'. It does give drop down, with 'Highlights' on it, I now see, but 'Posts by Others' is a different choice, nothing to do with Highlights, it seems. Anyway - thanks, I've got there!
      For me, Highlights is the default. You can then choose Posts by Page or Posts by Others (which is where the threads started by other people (i.e. not R3) are to be found).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Just shows how much I take notice, but I've just seen that on 'Essential Classics', the choice of the BAL appraiser from Saturday a.m. is now billed as 'Sarah's Essential Classic' when broadcast on Monday a.m..

No, it isn't.

Spurious credit for Sarah Walker et al for all the very real hard work done by someone else earlier. Billing like that is a cheat / lie, and frankly, if I were one of the BAL team, I'd feel a bit miffed.
        Last edited by DracoM; 23-04-12, 12:38.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Am I the only one to get seriously narked by all this "My (sic) Artist of the Week" nonsense? So, you're their patron this week are you? You pay their bills and personally decree what repertoire they perform? It really does tell you that they believe the hype; that they're the star of the show. Moreover, I'd be very interested to know how these selections are made. What's the betting some agent has wined and dined the production team in order to get their client into this slot?

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
            Am I the only one to get seriously narked by all this "My (sic) Artist of the Week" nonsense? So, you're their patron this week are you? You pay their bills and personally decree what repertoire they perform? It really does tell you that they believe the hype; that they're the star of the show. Moreover, I'd be very interested to know how these selections are made. What's the betting some agent has wined and dined the production team in order to get their client into this slot?
            I don't get narked by it - I am just interested in what is played on the programme and any pre-information helps me decide whether to listen. I cannot understand why, at some point after 10.15 on a Saturday, they cannot put in the schedule which version 'won' and will be played!

Comment

• old khayyam

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
              What's the betting some agent has wined and dined the production team in order to get their client into this slot?
              I challenge you to show me how anyone gets any exposure whatsoever in any field of any creative endeavour without this theory being applied..

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Never mind the wining, did any of you whiners actually listen do today's "Essential Choice"? Well done Doc Walker. My favourite Rite by some distance.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Bryn,
                  It certainly sounded like a good performance, but shortly after the opening bassoon solo the Optimod kicked in on the FM transmission, and I'm afraid I gave up. It was also a shame that as an intro Harriet Walter had to give us the Madeline Bassett gush about her schooldays listening to Stravinsky in the bluebell woods - hardly the end of the grim Russian winter.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    Bryn,
                    It certainly sounded like a good performance, but shortly after the opening bassoon solo the Optimod kicked in on the FM transmission, and I'm afraid I gave up. It was also a shame that as an intro Harriet Walter had to give us the Madeline Bassett gush about her schooldays listening to Stravinsky in the bluebell woods - hardly the end of the grim Russian winter.
                    Heh, heh. Fortunately I did not hear HW's intro, and will now avoid it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      as an intro Harriet Walter had to give us the Madeline Bassett gush about her schooldays listening to Stravinsky in the bluebell woods -

And now...

ALBORADA DEL BLOODY GRACIOSO AGAIN !

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

And now...

I first heard Ligeti's "Atmospheres" on a tranny under a tree in Kensington Gardens, eating a porkpie and tomato, which was about as far as my earnings allowed in terms of luxury in 1965.

Oh and by the way, the tranny was not the reason everybody was staring at me. In those days a tranny was common parlance for a transistor radio.

Comment

• Osborn

And now...

I haven't heard it for maybe 20 yrs; am sorry to have missed it.

And I've never ever heard the cuckoo music & only part of the lark ascending, so hope they play them soon.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I first heard Ligeti's "Atmospheres" on a tranny under a tree in Kensington Gardens, eating a porkpie and tomato, which was about as far as my earnings allowed in terms of luxury in 1965.
                            Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                            I haven't heard it for maybe 20 yrs; am sorry to have missed it.

And I've never ever heard the cuckoo music & only part of the lark ascending, so hope they play them soon.
                            These two posts have left me perplexed! I'm assuming super-dry irony explains both

In those days a tranny was common parlance for a transistor radio.

porkpie

Comment

• Osborn

These two posts have left me perplexed! I'm assuming super-dry irony explains both
                              No need to be perplexed; my comment is true, these pieces have yet to feature in the concerts I attend or follow on R3. I rarely listen to R3 before evening.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                                No need to be perplexed; my comment is true, these pieces have yet to feature in the concerts I attend or follow on R3. I rarely listen to R3 before evening.
                                Ah! Thanks for explaining. Quite surprising you've never come across those pieces (at least in full). I thoroughly recommend Alborada and Lark Ascending: the first time I heard both I was entranced. I'm sure the same applies to the cuckoo piece (it just doesn't happen to be to my taste). It's just over-exposure that has spoilt them for me. Unlike you, it seems, I like to have music on in the morning. (Do you know Copland's 'Rodeo'? It's in the same category!)

Comment

Working...
                                X