X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    So? It's a switchover time for Radio 4 too. Why can't people be allowed to switch over/off if what happens to be on doesn't appeal to them? Just broadcasting what's going to keep the largest number (half) listening is LCD programming. Second or third rate.
    So that's what those dials and buttons are for! Most days at some point I listen to R3, R4, R5, RCornwall. At some point in the week I'll add CFM and R2.
    I was in France last week and sampled the Classical station - not impressed by the BC rather than FW approach.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I was in France last week and sampled the Classical station - not impressed by the BC rather than FW approach.
      Errr... ??
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Errr... ??
        Bleeding chunks not Full works same as 'ere!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Bleeding chunks not Full works same as 'ere!!!!!!!!
          Gotcha!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
            ...and change the title to 'Nonessential Nonclassics'
            To keep in with the current vogue for imitating CFM in everything but wavelength, and thinking of 'If you Liked That, You'll Probably Like This', they could call it 'There Are Other Classics ...'.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Could each item be preceded by the reminder: Other movements from this work, and other works by the same composer, are available?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                Could each item be preceded by the reminder: Other movements from this work, and other works by the same composer, are available?
                Or maybe after all the station trailers (e.g. the toe-curling one with Rob Cowan wittering about countless drivers coming to a halt on the hard shoulder in tears at his choice of music):

Other classical music stations are available

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Or maybe after all the station trailers (e.g. the toe-curling one with Rob Cowan wittering about countless drivers coming to a halt on the hard shoulder in tears at his choice of music):

Other classical music stations are available

But don't hold your breath, they're probably as bad if not worse.

Comment

• Black Swan

I'm not sure about that, I just heard RC butcher the pronunciation of Orfeo and Euridice. Hopefully, it didn't drive listeners to tears.

J

Comment

• Norfolk Born

It's a waste of time complaining about the inablity of certain presenters to deal with even the simplest titles or names in even the most familiar European languages. Clearly, it's no longer considered a relevant requirement. RC is among the worst offenders: any Manhattan Transfer fan knows how to pronounce 'chanson' (shonesonn).

Comment

• kuligin
                        • Nov 2010

Since I invested in an internet radio I have been able to listen to interesting repertoire in the evening and on Sunday mornings. Many stations are as bad or worse than R3 but I have been listening a lot to Czech C Dur and Dutch Concertzender amongst others. If there is chat it is brief, and I can not understand it and so I am not irritated by silly stories of drivers having to pull over because Robs programme affects them!.

The play lists are accurate and easily found on the internet. If there is a gap between programmes the Czechs fill it with a Scarlatti Sonata.

I now only listen to Record Review, Operas/ Concerts if of interest and Composer of the Week on my drive home. I have not listened to Sean's prattle and hyperbole for years and gave up breakfast completely about 2 years ago

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                          any Manhattan Transfer fan knows how to pronounce 'chanson' (shonesonn).
                          Now there's a thought - a side of 'Mecca for Moderns' on the CD player instead of BCs in the guest spot. Finale of Brahms VC today - what an imaginative choice!

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

What a mess of a programme - messy guest-led BCs followed by a gem of a performance of the 'Titan' 1979 BavRSO Kubelik. We've also had String Quartets all week but yesterday we had Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbolero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if it was Monteux it was still Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbolero............. .................................................. ................

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

There was also the 'American' Quartet again, for its 2nd outing of the year, it was comfortably the most broadcast quartet last year.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

What a mess of a programme - messy guest-led BCs followed by a gem of a performance of the 'Titan' 1979 BavRSO Kubelik. We've also had String Quartets all week but yesterday we had Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbolero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if it was Monteux it was still Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbolero............. .................................................. ................
                                I have yet to listen to this morning's programme, but was Mahler's Symphony No. 1 really introduced as "Titan"? I hope not, for that title belongs not to the symphony but to the Symphonic Poem in Two Parts from which it was developed, losing the "Titan" sobriquet in the process.

Still, better that Mahler's 1st is lent a redundant title than that Start[sic] Flinders refers to Oliver[sic] Messiaen, as he did re. tonight's 'Live in Concert'.

Comment

Working...
                                X