• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
    I do it under RW and under an alias - so far for the two days I've done it this week I've had a mention both days as RW and a work played yesterday under my alias, not bad so far!​​​
    So I presume they don't get a lot of response to the feature!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

I agree the content of this and other 'presenter' led programmes has slipped in the last few years - I only do this spot as an experiment to see how easy it is to get ones choice read out.

I only do the Playlist when Skellers is in the chair - MissyG (Georgia's new Glasto name!) stopped reading out my choices after I pointed out that Radio 3 was probably not the place to brag about having tickets for the Eurovision finals in Liverpool!

I do it under RW and under an alias - so far for the two days I've done it this week I've had a mention both days as RW and a work played yesterday under my alias, not bad so far!

Last time Skellers was on he did six days, I had four mentions and a 'play' as RW and three mentions and two plays as my alias...up there with my best perfs!

In doing this I choose out of the way and, I hope, interesting music - I'm constantly amazed at the crass and repetitive choices made and selected for playing.

I guess my alias will be mentioned tomorrow...now who is that alias?

​​​
      Why don’t you tell us? If the R3 people were interested you don’t need to be Alan Turing to work it out from the frequency clues you’ve given us.

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

So I presume they don't get a lot of response to the feature!
        I've often wondered how many actually do submit suggestions - I could name probably twenty who are named fairly regularly, and I assume they do it most days. A couple of friends do it daily and one has never had a suggestion selected and the other rarely.

My best performances were when Suzy was presenter...one of the few times I had a clean sweep of a mention every day for a week- Suzy emailed me to say she had to be careful as they get complaints! That was when I started using an alias!

Of course I have to think up two 'answers' per day.....very occasionally I choose the same piece as RW and my alias, but I have to be careful!

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Why don’t you tell us? If the R3 people were interested you don’t need to be Alan Turing to work it out from the frequency clues you’ve given us.
          Well, give 'em something to do between cueing yet another repeat of Florence Price and playing another pointless trailer.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Well, give 'em something to do between cueing yet another repeat of Florence Price and playing another pointless trailer.
            Of course, some may prefer Florence Price to R3's audience engagement features!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

Of course, some may prefer Florence Price to R3's audience engagement features!
              Florence Price is not played because some may prefer her, she's played because she is convenient quota fodder. As a temporary member of the shows audience I find the above feature engaging.....up to a point!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

You’re pulling the wool over the eyes of people who used to ring BH reception and ask them to page Mike Channel , Mike Hunt (allegedly) and Marcel Proust , take the light bulbs out of cue lights and much much more .Believe you me there is no prank that producers and engineers haven’t tried out themselves.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Florence Price is not played because some may prefer her, she's played because she is convenient quota fodder.
                  Very possibly.

As a temporary member of the shows audience I find the above feature engaging.....up to a point!
                  But it's a marketing hook. There's a good chance that if anyone contributes an idea, they'll tune in to the programme to see if their idea is mentioned. Listen for 5 minutes once in a week and people are counted in the listening figures for that week. Listen every day and they contribute to the share of listening for the week. Why else do they try to persuade listeners to take part? But in a consumerist society people are willing (to use your word) 'fodder'.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Very possibly.

But it's a marketing hook. There's a good chance that if anyone contributes an idea, they'll tune in to the programme to see if their idea is mentioned. Listen for 5 minutes once in a week and people are counted in the listening figures for that week. Listen every day and they contribute to the share of listening for the week. Why else do they try to persuade listeners to take part? But in a consumerist society people are willing (to use your word) 'fodder'.
                    On a number of occasions I've contributed suggestions for the 'Playlister challenge' before heading out for the morning. It's quite easy to check on Sounds whether one's suggestion has been accepted.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

On a number of occasions I've contributed suggestions for the 'Playlister challenge' before heading out for the morning. It's quite easy to check on Sounds whether one's suggestion has been accepted.
                      Very much my modus operandi, get my suggestion in - usually before the 'starter' has finished, in fact I often have it ready to go before it starts! - grab coffee and make for the summerhouse, earbuds in, wait for name to be read out...result? Deep joy! Worth becoming 'marketing fodder' for isn't it LMcD?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

I find this all rather sad

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Very much my modus operandi, get my suggestion in - usually before the 'starter' has finished, in fact I often have it ready to go before it starts! - grab coffee and make for the summerhouse, earbuds in, wait for name to be read out...result? Deep joy! Worth becoming 'marketing fodder' for isn't it LMcD?
                          People's natures are so very different that I can't work out whether you're just joshing

Comment

• Roger Webb
                            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            Yes, me too...still last day tomorrow, I can get back to YLE where they play unusual music which is well presented (ie. not) has no quizzes, phone-ins or contributive playlists.....sometimes you just need an unexciting life.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I know I've posted this before but ICYMI:

"Ed Reardon is at his local police station to complain about rampant profiteering, music playing in the background:

[Radio 3: “You’re listening to Drivetime Classics ... on Radio 3. And now it’s time for ... Coffee Time Quiz]

Policeman: So, if there’s nothing else, sir, I wouldn’t mind having a crack at the Mystery Instrument. You can win a day out at Alton Towers

ER: Well, there is actually something else, as I’m here, Can I bring a class action against Radio 3 for cultural vandalism?

Policeman: Ooh-hoo, you can, but I’m afraid it’d fall on deaf ears in this nick. We have it on all the time. It’s reduced stress levels by 42% ... [ER sotto voce: Damn] You can see on the chart ...

ER (bored): Really?’

[Radio 3: What is the Mystery Instrument?]

Policeman: I do believe that’s a glockenspiel. Would you mind keeping an eye on the desk while I ring in?

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                Simple soul that I am, I derive a modicum of delight in occasionally having my suggested 'follow-on piece' selected, just as I do when I 'beat' Susie Dent on 'Countdown'.
                                I have also derived much pleasure in the last week or so from the concerts broadcast from the Aldeburgh Festival. Perhaps I should change my user name to Broad Church.

Comment

Working...
                                X