Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Piazolla
    • Nov 2021

So delighted to hear Ian Skelly on essential classics this morning, I hope hes back for good, never warmed to Georgia Mann's style!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Piazolla View Post
      So delighted to hear Ian Skelly on essential classics this morning, I hope hes back for good, never warmed to Georgia Mann's style!

I believe Georgia Mann is billed to be back for the following two weeks, at least :-)

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Well I just ruined my reputation on this site with this morning's Playlist! I thought Fiona Talkington was in the chair next week - might give her a go too!

Edit No, you're right it's Georgia...what a disappointment!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
          Well I just ruined my reputation on this site with this morning's Playlist! I thought Fiona Talkington was in the chair next week - might give her a go too!

Edit No, you're right it's Georgia...what a disappointment!
          Last off-board comment I heard: "Goodness knows why I like Georgia Mann​ but I do." That's the problem with having favourite/unfavourite presenters. R3 couldn't possibly please everyone all the time (as they're very fond of saying). If the programme is sound and the presenter unobtrusive, this is one listener who will be satisfied. But swathes of easy listening is - in my opinion - all we get. No presenter is going to rescue Essential Classics and improve on total silence. Oh, in my view, of course I mean!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

I know, it's the stupid Marmite analogy (a by product of the petroleum industry, I think, that should be banned or, at least its sale should be tightly controlled). Georgia would make a perfectly good Blue Peter presenter, as has been suggested elsewhere, but to present a programme which is meant to be (?) for adults, no.

Comment

• Opinionated Knowall
              • Jan 2014

I know, it's the stupid Marmite analogy (a by product of the petroleum industry, I think, that should be banned or, at least its sale should be tightly controlled). Georgia would make a perfectly good Blue Peter presenter, as has been suggested elsewhere, but to present a programme which is meant to be (?) for adults, no.
              Brewing industry I believe. Back to Adnams!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Classic Skellers: Hello to all Serpentine swimmers, who listen "while slapping on the lard...[pause]...to their thighs"

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Piazolla View Post

I've always enjoyed listening to 'Skellers', but even he can't persuade me to listen to Essential Classics.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Georgia would make a perfectly good Blue Peter presenter, as has been suggested elsewhere, but to present a programme which is meant to be (?) for adults, no.
                    Katie Derham, Liz Alker, Linton Stephens ...

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Opinionated Knowall View Post

Brewing industry I believe. Back to Adnams!
                      I know, I made up the bit about the petroleum industry to give greater weight to any restrictions that might be placed on this most dangerously addictive of substances - cannot believe a company like Adnams
                      would sully their reputation by selling-on their residual waste products to produce such gunk.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Katie Derham, Liz Alker, Linton Stephens ...
                        Tread softly for you tread on someone's fave presenter ...

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I've always enjoyed listening to 'Skellers', but even he can't persuade me to listen to Essential Classics.
                          Agree with that. The programme's the problem.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Tread softly for you tread on someone's fave presenter ...
                            ... my 'reasoned opinion', m'lud, since you ask for such, is that they are or may be excellent presenters but their skill sets do not match the specific requirements of the task.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... my 'reasoned opinion', m'lud, since you ask for such, is that they are or may be excellent presenters but their skill sets do not match the specific requirements of the task.
                              Sometimes I wonder how much of Radio 3 is by adults for adults. And indeed, how many adults are left? For a start, just look at their handwriting!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Sometimes I wonder how much of Radio 3 is by adults for adults. And indeed, how many adults are left? For a start, just look at their handwriting!
                                Who wrote '......she had the neat handwriting of the illiterate'? Sounds Shavian. Whereas my Doctor ( a 'grownup' with impeccable musical taste) of many years wrote in hieroglyphics which somehow our local chemist had always deciphered correctly....I hope!

Comment

Working...
                                X