X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolmill
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Has it 'got that swing'.or is it the usual Wilson '4 square'?
    Well, it is a square dance...(coat already on, it's so cold).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
      Well, it is a square dance...(coat already on, it's so cold).
      They can be found in a bun dance.

(Makes quick his escape).

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

Interesting reading the comments about John Wilson. There is very few, if any, of his recordings that I have enjoyed. The dots are often brilliantly played but the essence behind the dots often seems somehow lacking.

Comment

• Paulie55
          • Jan 2012

GM and Theorbo

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
          I know I'm in a minority here, but I really don't think he did, in the most important respect - knowing his music. His tastes struck me as very narrow and dilettante; and he recently sniggeringly approved of a listener making some cheap and facile joke about Birtwistle.

I'm no great fan of Georgia Mann, but she does know her stuff (apart from a blind spot over the pronunciation of 'theorbo').
          The other day, she referred to Schumann's 3rd Symphony as the "Rheenish"

Comment

• BruceN
            • Mar 2019

... and Ainjul Romero

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Certainly not just you.
              I couldn't understand the abundance of adulation for his Copland recordings (and I wasn't that taken with the recent French Escales and the Respighi Roman trilogy, for that matter) either.
              So not just me then - thought the Escales album very slick but unidiomatic.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I very seldom listen to Essential Classics but as I am away by the sea I just did only to hear Suzy klein utter the words “ canine inspired mixtape” and switched to Radio 4

Comment

• hmvman
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I very seldom listen to Essential Classics but as I am away by the sea I just did only to hear Suzy klein utter the words “ canine inspired mixtape” and switched to Radio 4
                  To keep me in a better mood for the day the radio gets switched off at 09.00.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

At some point on R3 this morning (in the car) I was enraptured by the voice of Irmgard Seefried

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                    Zaide, K. 344, Act I: Aria: Ruhe sanft, mein holdes Leben
                    Singer: Irmgard Seefried. Orchestra: London Mozart Players. Conductor: Harry Blech.

What a wonderful voice and how magnificently...and apparently effortlessly...sung.

There seemed to be some doubt about the date of the recording...anything between late 1940s to mid-60s IIRC. Anyone know?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      At some point on R3 this morning (in the car) I was enraptured by the voice of Irmgard Seefried

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                      Zaide, K. 344, Act I: Aria: Ruhe sanft, mein holdes Leben
                      Singer: Irmgard Seefried. Orchestra: London Mozart Players. Conductor: Harry Blech.

What a wonderful voice and how magnificently...and apparently effortlessly...sung.

There seemed to be some doubt about the date of the recording...anything between late 1940s to mid-60s IIRC. Anyone know?
                      Looks like 1953

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

That sounds probable, cloughie. The details look a bit vague, i.e. instrument: organ. Er......

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Heard the Jordi Savall recording of Mozart Serenata Notturno this morning - is this hipp or just trying to be different - all’s going well until the timps go berserk in the finale - over the top and unnaturally recorded - is this how Mozart wrote it?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Heard the Jordi Savall recording of Mozart Serenata Notturno this morning - is this hipp or just trying to be different - all’s going well until the timps go berserk in the finale - over the top and unnaturally recorded - is this how Mozart wrote it?
                            Mozart just wrote the recipe. The rest is up to the chef.

It’s just that some chefs go around in handcuffs, while others take the recipe as a general guideline.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Mozart just wrote the recipe. The rest is up to the chef.

It’s just that some chefs go around in handcuffs, while others take the recipe as a general guideline.
                              That’s a good way to look at it - I wonder what the ‘hippocracy’ think!

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

We have Lady Walker next week I see ……..

Comment

Working...
                                X