X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    This morning, as I drove my car to get the brakes repaired I switched on Radio 3, just before SK announced the day’s “playlist” starter piece for that tired well-past-its-sell-by-date request for a companion piece. As usual, she effectively told the listeners what to think, but two things disturbed me:
    1. The radio display no longer said “Essential Classics”. Instead, it said “Suzy Klein”. That really is a sign of the times.
    2. SK was encouraging selfish, thoughtless and antisocial behaviour, by suggesting we chose another piece we might use in a garden barbecue. My opinion of the aforementioned has now sunk even lower.
    Interestingly, to me at least, there has been has been a very useful enhancement to Sounds - don’t know if it’s already been mentioned - but now the title of each track appears as soon as it starts on your smartphone, car radio, whatever ...... as I was listening to Skellers in the car this morning you get the name of the composer and the title of the piece with movement number where applicable. No mention of Skellers .... as I never listen the the schoolmarm I don’t know if she has it written into her contract that her name appears instead of the composer ......

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Aha!! GM, eh?
      Did she get it because of hr initials? erm...................
      ... guided missile? good morning? genetically modified? gluteus maximus? general merit? god machine? god's message? green manure? greater manchester? gastric mucosa? grand marnier?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... guided missile? good morning? genetically modified? gluteus maximus? general merit? god machine? god's message? green manure? greater manchester? gastric mucosa? grand marnier?

Great Mixpectations!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I just dismissed it as General Motors, though I think you may have hit upon it within your list, monsieur.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Interestingly, to me at least, there has been has been a very useful enhancement to Sounds - don’t know if it’s already been mentioned - but now the title of each track appears as soon as it starts on your smartphone, car radio, whatever ...... as I was listening to Skellers in the car this morning you get the name of the composer and the title of the piece with movement number where applicable. No mention of Skellers .... as I never listen the the schoolmarm I don’t know if she has it written into her contract that her name appears instead of the composer ......
            What would be useful in the listing would be the performers as well as the titles - but perhaps this is a bit too much of a chore for them. Perhaps if there were less, longer items it would be easier - this morning’s 30 items in 3 hours is rather a lot!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              What would be useful in the listing would be the performers as well as the titles - but perhaps this is a bit too much of a chore for them. Perhaps if there were less, longer items it would be easier - this morning’s 30 items in 3 hours is rather a lot!
              I would pass on the performers if the online info was correct and timely for those of us listening in real time! The lag means that the listings can be two or 3 items adrift of what is actually being played. Not helpful for the new audience and less R3 typical listener they claim to want, and tiresome I find if I just want to check while I have the computer on, rather than having to make a note and look it up later in the day. They know in advance what is going to be played for everything except the playlist slot so it shouldn't be that hard.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                I would pass on the performers if the online info was correct and timely for those of us listening in real time! The lag means that the listings can be two or 3 items adrift of what is actually being played. Not helpful for the new audience and less R3 typical listener they claim to want, and tiresome I find if I just want to check while I have the computer on, rather than having to make a note and look it up later in the day. They know in advance what is going to be played for everything except the playlist slot so it shouldn't be that hard.
                Yes OOO real-time at the moment is not good but the Sounds is excellent when Skellers played our four-tracker playlist each title was there with the first note ..... I think cloughers the information displayed is as per Andrew’s wonderful downloads which doesn’t IIRC have artist ....... on R2 if I think you get artist and title no composer .....

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

..... I think cloughers the information displayed is as per Andrew’s wonderful downloads which doesn’t IIRC have artist ....... on R2 if I think you get artist and title no composer .....
                  The information is actually available on the playlists, and reflected in my linear lists and the downloadable CSV file. My database has provision for artist information but during testing it was proving to double the database size, so I removed it: it can be accessed fairly easily by clicking on "R3 Link", but I'm considering linking to the CSV file for a local display.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                    The information is actually available on the playlists, and reflected in my linear lists and the downloadable CSV file. My database has provision for artist information but during testing it was proving to double the database size, so I removed it: it can be accessed fairly easily by clicking on "R3 Link", but I'm considering linking to the CSV file for a local display.
                    Thanks as ever Andrew .....

Comment

• boesendorfer
                      • Mar 2019

Haydn symphonies all sound the same

I thought I wasn't dreaming: this morning SZ promised us one of Haydn's Paris symphonies but we were treated to the first movement of 104. I see from the Schedule that the intended movement (4th of No. 84, I think) has been changed to match the facts. I was amazed that she didn't apologise - surely she listens to her own choices?! Perhaps she was too embarrassed....

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Yes OOO real-time at the moment is not good .....
                        OOO?

Out of office? Out of order execution? Object-oriented ontology? общество с ограниченной ответственностью??

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

OOO?

Out of office? Out of order execution? Object-oriented ontology? общество с ограниченной ответственностью??

oddoneout?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

OOO?

Me.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Me.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                                They are not on the tracklists on Sounds which I thought would be the best place! Am I in a minority of listeners who are interested in the performers as well as the pieces?

Comment

Working...
                                X