X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, I have to admit that I only once listened to CFM.
    Likewise. My stay lasted about seven minutes and I have not felt the need to return.

Re Essential Classics, it occurs to me that even if Radio 3's schedule were beyond criticism in all respects I would still be listening to it much less than in earlier times when there were limited alternatives. As it is, we are now utterly spoiled for choice. I'm just listening to the weekly classical new releases playlist on Spotify. There are three or four classical streaming stations I listen to a lot and many more less regular alternatives. Alongside a huge number of accumulated CDs, my entire digital collection of flacs and mp3s is accommodated on a tiny 128 Gb USB drive permanently plugged in to my digital tuner. My bedside Roberts 93i has the same capability to stream internet radio and play Spotify and has the same USB stick plugged in. All this can be controlled, if I wish, via apps on my laptop and mobile. In addition, of course, we also have video streaming via internet TV, eg Wigmore, Met, Wiener Staatsoper etc etc

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Suzy announced that there will be a 6 week Proms this year!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

This morning, as I drove my car to get the brakes repaired I switched on Radio 3, just before SK announced the day’s “playlist” starter piece for that tired well-past-its-sell-by-date request for a companion piece. As usual, she effectively told the listeners what to think, but two things disturbed me:
        1. The radio display no longer said “Essential Classics”. Instead, it said “Suzy Klein”. That really is a sign of the times.
        2. SK was encouraging selfish, thoughtless and antisocial behaviour, by suggesting we chose another piece we might use in a garden barbecue. My opinion of the aforementioned has now sunk even lower.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          This morning, as I drove my car to get the brakes repaired I switched on Radio 3, just before SK announced the day’s “playlist” starter piece for that tired well-past-its-sell-by-date request for a companion piece. As usual, she effectively told the listeners what to think, but two things disturbed me:
          1. The radio display no longer said “Essential Classics”. Instead, it said “Suzy Klein”. That really is a sign of the times.
          2. SK was encouraging selfish, thoughtless and antisocial behaviour, by suggesting we chose another piece we might use in a garden barbecue. My opinion of the aforementioned has now sunk even lower.
          Yes she does like to make sure we know exactly what she expects to have in the way of follow-on suggestions; I wonder how IS' replacement will go on that - follow the schoolmarm or credit the listeners with being able to think for themselves. IS seemed genuinely amused by some of the suggestions, rather than irritated, and not afraid to put together an eclectic mix.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Scrolling through the programme guide on my TV just now, I was intrigued to see that, in addition to the usual details, the entry for today's Essential Classics also includes - highlighted in red - the phrase 'Contains language that some may find offensive'.....

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

I see that the EC Homepage is evidently not something that is deemed high priority in the updating lists. It still has Ian Skelly as co- presenter, but more worryingly has two plugs for Christmas items. I know this is a secular country now but the public is never the less aware that we've moved on to the next Feast of Conspicuous Consumption aka Easter, so why isn't the Beeb?
              I don't look at the other online radio station output so I don't know if it's the same across the board but the lack of attention to detail and accuracy and just providing helpful information on R3 matters further undermines confidence as far as I'm concerned that those in charge have any clue what they are doing. If the online presence isn't considered important how in touch are they with how the world works, especially in view of their repeated assertions and meddling around attracting new listeners?
              And this was an issue pre-Covid, as this from IS 3 years ago(in response to an email from me) makes clear
              We seem surrounded by people who don’t know what listeners use a website for!
              ,so no burying it under that.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Spoke to three random R3 listeners - and this will not be news to some - and ALL said without being pressed at all that if Suzy K gets the chair, they'll de-camp.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Spoke to three random R3 listeners - and this will not be news to some - and ALL said without being pressed at all that if Suzy K gets the chair, they'll de-camp.
                  Eh? What chair?

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

OK, so who is going to be taking over EC?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Eh? What chair?
                      Yes what chair - there is sometimes talk in riddles here - random R3 listeners?

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        OK, so who is going to be taking over EC?
                        Georgia Mann is taking Ian Skelly's place, so SK keeps her current 'chair' two weeks on two weeks off.
                        Perhaps this link was only posted on the Skelly thread. https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...ann-ian-skelly

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Georgia Mann is taking Ian Skelly's place, so SK keeps her current 'chair' two weeks on two weeks off.
                          Perhaps this link was only posted on the Skelly thread. https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...ann-ian-skelly
                          Yes I think most of us have twigged that, should be OK - we’ll see.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Yes I think most of us have twigged that, should be OK - we’ll see.
                            But not all it would seem, so I thought it worth repeating.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              Eh? What chair?
                              No! No! Not the comfy chair .....

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Aha!! GM, eh?
                                Did she get it because of hr initials? erm...................

Comment

Working...
                                X