X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
    Lady Gaga was reportedly accepted as a piano student at the Julliard but made the very sensible decision to become an international pop star. Every single one of my few friends who went into rock music made vastly more money and , I suspect had more fun , than those who chose the classical route. But they didn’t have the life enhancing experience of daily playing the worlds greatest music . Oh well I am sure they can live with that...
    Not in public perhaps but the music's still there for private enjoyment.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Easy enough to find, but I see I failed to include the link to Lady G's Chopin:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Not in public perhaps but the music's still there for private enjoyment.
        Sorry my attempt at savage irony failed . When I read that Kanye West is worth $3.2 billion dollars - much more than all the classical composers in history put together - including all the ones now sitting at home unperformed - I realised that essentially the game is up...but it was fun while it lasted.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Easy enough to find, but I see I failed to include the link to Lady G's Chopin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1zqJ9ymnAk

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

I'm sure Gaga enjoyed her duets with Tony Bennett (showing off a very beautiful voice) or her perhaps less distinctive Chopin vids, but she became Gaga through her unforgettably brilliant electro-power pop, like Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance and Born This Way. Even now I can't watch Born this Way without tears of joy and release and and fulfilment. ​Wiggin' out round the listening room!
            (Remember the Glee cover of it? Kurt singing dont be a drag just be a queen... )

A rich and complex creativity, but I think those songs are how she'll be remembered, and the startling vids that she made for them. Check them out on youtube.
            “CHROMATICA”THE SIXTH ALBUM BY LADY GAGAOUT NOWhttp://smarturl.it/Chromatica“RAIN ON ME” THE NEW SINGLE & VIDEO FROM LADY GAGA WITH ARIANA GRANDEOUT NOWhttp:...

(...if u don't like the sci-fi.... patience now.... the music is gonna get you, the music is gonna get you...)

or take Glee without the SFX...

But.... but but but....!

Beyond the pop, her performance opposite the equally wonderful Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born was rich, deep, devastating. Utterly compelling. A film I can watch over and over. And certainly not Shallow, Shallow.... But nor are her the best of her lovable pop creations.
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-09-20, 15:56.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              I'm sure Gaga enjoyed her duets with Tony Bennett (showing off a very beautiful voice) or her perhaps less distinctive Chopin vids, but she became Gaga through her unforgettably brilliant electro-power pop, like Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance and Born This Way. Even now I can't watch Born this Way without tears of joy and release and and fulfilment. ​Wiggin' out round the listening room!

A rich and complex creativity, but I think those songs are how she'll be remembered, and the startling vids that she made for them. Check them out on youtube.
              “CHROMATICA”THE SIXTH ALBUM BY LADY GAGAOUT NOWhttp://smarturl.it/Chromatica“RAIN ON ME” THE NEW SINGLE & VIDEO FROM LADY GAGA WITH ARIANA GRANDEOUT NOWhttp:...

(...if u don't like the sci-fi.... patience now.... the music is gonna get you, the music is gonna get you...)

But.... but but but....!

Beyond the pop, her performance opposite the equally wonderful Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born was rich, deep, devastating. Utterly compelling. A film I can watch over and over. And certainly not Shallow, Shallow.... But nor are her the best of her lovable pop creations.
              For me Yes to A star is born but No to her electro-power pop - which is fine if your choice is an unpleasant noise, lacking a tune and with poor diction. Then Jayne, as has been clear for a long time there is room for all tastes both on the forum and in the World at large, the listening devices and what goes on them!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                For me Yes to A star is born but No to her electro-power pop - which is fine if your choice is an unpleasant noise, lacking a tune and with poor diction. Then Jayne, as has been clear for a long time there is room for all tastes both on the forum and in the World at large, the listening devices and what goes on them!
                ...but her voice here is nothing like your description......

....she does what she wants with that lovely vocal instrument, whether naturally miked or electronically transformed....she and Brad C wrote this wonderful song together, with a lyric that speaks especially to us in 2020, and probably to all agonised souls for ever...

We're far from the shallow now....

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  ...but her voice here is nothing like your description......

....she does what she wants with that lovely vocal instrument, whether naturally miked or electronically transformed....she and Brad C wrote this wonderful song together, with a lyric that speaks especially to us in 2020, and probably to all agonised souls for ever...

We're far from the shallow now....
                  Fine, you enjoy it if you wish. End of!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

[/I]Beyond the pop, her performance opposite the equally wonderful Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born was rich, deep, devastating. Utterly compelling. A film I can watch over and over. And certainly not Shallow, Shallow.... But nor are her the best of her lovable pop creations.[/QUOTE]

In what seems like pre-history I Came out of the Vue Cinema once after seeing a Met Opera and bumped into the crowd leaving A Star Is Born . The audience was 95 percent female 16- 50 and virtually every single one was in tears . Oh yes and there were a few very sheepish looking men. The somewhat more stoical over 60 audience for the Opera emerged dry eyed . That’s either a tribute to the power of popular art or The fact that when you reach that age you’ve been knocked about so much tragic plots don’t have the same impact.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Fine, you enjoy it if you wish. End of!
                      It sounds as if Gaga is a No-Go for you!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

[/I]Beyond the pop, her performance opposite the equally wonderful Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born was rich, deep, devastating. Utterly compelling. A film I can watch over and over. And certainly not Shallow, Shallow.... But nor are her the best of her lovable pop creations.
                        [QUOTE FROM HELDENLEBEN] ....In what seems like pre-history I Came out of the Vue Cinema once after seeing a Met Opera and bumped into the crowd leaving A Star Is Born . The audience was 95 percent female 16- 50 and virtually every single one was in tears . Oh yes and there were a few very sheepish looking men. The somewhat more stoical over 60 audience for the Opera emerged dry eyed . That’s either a tribute to the power of popular art or The fact that when you reach that age you’ve been knocked about so much tragic plots don’t have the same impact.[/QUOTE ENDS FROM HELDENLEBEN]

(QUOTE THING GONE STRANGE AGAIN.... HOPE DISTINCTIONS CLEAR....JLW)

Well I doubt its so categorical..... if you only knew, only knew, how much I've been "knocked about".........and that is the very reason which such a film as Star speaks to me so deeply....so deeply.... some things can't be put right and there are few consolations....

Stoical? Great Concept & one does aspire, but...God ....I should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky... (as Kylie sang)....

(PS not into blokes myself but Bradley Cooper is a damn fine looking & sounding example of the male of the species...& BTW directed Star, for which huge credit is due. Improving with age like a fine wine, I liked him in American Sniper, and the adorable Rocket Racoon can do no wrong with me, but Jack Maine must be his best assumption to date...)

Sorry what was this thread about again...?..Essential classic films, right ?
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-09-20, 17:56.

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

In what seems like pre-history I Came out of the Vue Cinema once after seeing a Met Opera and bumped into the crowd leaving A Star Is Born . The audience was 95 percent female 16- 50 and virtually every single one was in tears . Oh yes and there were a few very sheepish looking men. The somewhat more stoical over 60 audience for the Opera emerged dry eyed . That’s either a tribute to the power of popular art or The fact that when you reach that age you’ve been knocked about so much tragic plots don’t have the same impact.
                          I find that as I've got older I've become more tearful over music. If I'd emerged from a performance of Peter Grimes I'd have been in floods - not so much from the story but from the impact of the music. And as for Bach....

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Sorry my attempt at savage irony failed . When I read that Kanye West is worth $3.2 billion dollars - much more than all the classical composers in history put together - including all the ones now sitting at home unperformed - I realised that essentially the game is up...but it was fun while it lasted.
                            I've found that irony - be it savage or gentle - is employed at one's peril around here!

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                              And as for Bach....
                              ... I have been noticing for a good while now that JSB is been played on Radio 3 with increasing frequency. Which is A Good Thing.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                I've found that irony - be it savage or gentle - is employed at one's peril around here!
                                Yes LMcD listen to your Lady Gaga electronically enhanced recordings, never mind the words and keep your powder dry for more important things!

Comment

Working...
                                X