https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...d-air-and-rain
    At the moment no .....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I’m inkleined to think it’s priti bad!

You'll be made to stand in the corner at haaaaaaaarf paaaaaaaaarst nine.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Currently tuned in to Essential Classics - Suzi is blessed with a clear speaking voice but it is a shame she doesn’t use it, instead she insists on mumbling on air and lowering her voice at the end of sentences. Georgia could give her lessons!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Currently tuned in to Essential Classics - Suzi is blessed with a clear speaking voice but it is a shame she doesn’t use it, instead she insists on mumbling on air and lowering her voice at the end of sentences. Georgia could give her lessons!
          ... or perhaps she'll have learnt something from working with Lennie Henry?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            ... or perhaps she'll have learnt something from working with Lennie Henry?
            Who, in turn, could learn that a sonata for piano and violin is not a symphony (his interview on BBC 1 this morning where he went on about the origin of the Kreutzer Symphony[sic]). Congratulations to him for taking up the piano in his dotage, though (grade 4, heading for grade 5). Good description and promotion of Joplin's Treemonisha, too.
            Last edited by Bryn; 23-09-20, 09:36. Reason: Closed bracket.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Who, in turn, could learn that a sonata for piano and violin is not a symphony (his interview on BBC 1 this morning where he went on about the origin of the Kreutzer Symphony[sic]. Congratulations to him for taking up the piano in his dotage, though (grade 4, heading for grade 5). Good description and promotion of Joplin's Treemonisha, too.
              More forgivable than Will Gompertz's gaffe on 'Pointless':
              'La Traviata is the by this composer, whose English name 's Joe Green' (V)
              WG's answer: 'Vivaldi'

LH is more likely to enthuse people than lecture them - if nothing else, he and SK could make an entertaining 'odd couple'.
              Last edited by LMcD; 23-09-20, 09:39.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Indeed: every gaffe that Georgia makes is crystal-clear. Her introduction to 'Bach before 7' this morning was a shocker.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  More forgivable than Will Gompertz's gaffe on 'Pointless':
                  'La Traviata is the by this composer, whose English name 's Joe Green' (V)
                  WG's answer: 'Vivaldi'

LH is more likely to enthuse people than lecture them - if nothing else, he and SK could make an entertaining 'odd couple'.
                  I recall when Lady Strictly Of InTune was on she couldn’t identify Maria Callas in a picture round ........

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    I recall when Lady Strictly Of InTune was on she couldn’t identify Maria Callas in a picture round ........
                    She'd probably not fare well setting up a booze-up in a brewery either.

Comment

• alycidon
                      • Feb 2013

After this morning’s offerings it should be renamed Essential Jazz! Don’t get me wrong, I quite enjoy jazz but not when it is mixed in with the classics. Just saying!
                      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                        After this morning’s offerings it should be renamed Essential Jazz! Don’t get me wrong, I quite enjoy jazz but not when it is mixed in with the classics. Just saying!

Comment

• alycidon
                          • Feb 2013

Thanks Bryn. I take your point - at least, I think that I do!
                          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Afraid I will have to disagree somewhat with you there, and also ask why you take that view? Do you find that the juxtaposition jars?
                            I think that mixing in jazz is a good thing so long as not done to excess, and the morning schedule programmes are a good place to do it. There is after all a longstanding interest on the part of both 'classical' and jazz musicians in each others music, which I assume is the purpose of Bryn's post. As an uninformed music listener I am hard put to differentiate between the contemporary jazz I occasionally hear on R3 and the contemporary 'classical' music ditto, particularly where improvisation is involved, in terms of why they fall into different camps. The boundaries seem to me to be pretty fluid in many cases.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

I love Duke Ellington - I think he is one of the all time greats . His 30’s / 40’s band was probably the greatest assemblage of horn and wind virtuosi in history. But the BBC singers mangling of Sophisticated Lady exemplifies why classically trained singers need to be very careful when tackling Jazz. It might be summed up in the phrase “leave it to Ella ...”

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Afraid I will have to disagree somewhat with you there, and also ask why you take that view? Do you find that the juxtaposition jars?
                                I think that mixing in jazz is a good thing so long as not done to excess, and the morning schedule programmes are a good place to do it. There is after all a longstanding interest on the part of both 'classical' and jazz musicians in each others music, which I assume is the purpose of Bryn's post. As an uninformed music listener I am hard put to differentiate between the contemporary jazz I occasionally hear on R3 and the contemporary 'classical' music ditto, particularly where improvisation is involved, in terms of why they fall into different camps. The boundaries seem to me to be pretty fluid in many cases.
                                You mean the ‘when does the tune start’ stuff! I’ll wager you are also very much into ‘minimalist’ and ‘rap’!

Comment

Working...
                                X