X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I have the same problem with Tom Service.
    Suzy is a knowleeable musician (as is Tom Service). It's partly to do with how R3 wants them to present themselves.
    I met Tom Service once (at the rehearsal for the Havergal Brian Gothic at the Proms) - interesting that I was much more impressed with him in person than I am with his R3 persona.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
      Wish I could work out what it is about Suzy Klein's voice which makes me want to throw things at the radio.
      If you do, please let me know! To me, it comes across as a mixture of lecture and hector.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        If you do, please let me know! To me, it comes across as a mixture of lecture and hector.
        Georgia's has a not dissimilar timbre - but she does pleasant!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Georgia's has a not dissimilar timbre - but she does pleasant!
          SK and GM aren't in the same league! One talks at us and one to us.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            SK and GM aren't in the same league! One talks at us and one to us.
            Quite. GM is more of a companion in the listening process, than nanny SK telling us to eat our greens approach. It's a pity as SK's voice has good points - she speaks clearly and isn't shrill, but as LMcD says 'mixture of lecture and hector' that really grates - definitely not comfortable listening.

Comment

• LezLee
              • Apr 2019

Agreed. GM, unlike SK, doesn’t think she knows everything.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                Agreed. GM, unlike SK, doesn’t think she knows everything.
                Is that connected to SK having a first-class degree in music from the University of Oxford, whereas GM has a degree in English literature from the other place?

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                  Is that connected to SK having a first-class degree in music from the University of Oxford, whereas GM has a degree in English literature from the other place?
                  Knowing a lot, and thinking you know everything ( with a sneering attitude to boot) are two entirely different things.

Hopefully the new normal will consign our Oxbridge obsession to the dustbin of history, but I’m not optimistic.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Hopefully the new normal will consign our Oxbridge obsession to the dustbin of history, but I’m not optimistic.
                    Oxford and Cambridge are top universities. While I would agree that this in no way entitles their graduates to think they're better than everyone else, neither does it mean they should be consigned to any dustbin. I would agree however that selection for HMG and, for example, the civil service should be on merit alone (simple to do that of course).
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      Oxford and Cambridge are top universities. While I would agree that this in no way entitles their graduates to think they're better than everyone else, neither does it mean they should be consigned to any dustbin. I would agree however that selection for HMG and, for example, the civil service should be on merit alone (simple to do that of course).
                      The ” obsession with” needs binning, not the universities, was my point LMP.

I am aware that they are top universities.....for some things......
                      ( Ok , for many things).
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

I should also have said that Bullingdon Club membership should automatically disqualify from any responsible position, from traffic warden up.

(Don't think that SK will ever have been a member)
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Count Boso

It's interesting that the BBC thinks that a first degree (preferably with first class honours) from Oxbridge automatically equips someone with everything they need to step into a job requiring a knowledge of their subject. Having a love and extensive (if not especially deep) knowledge of the relevant subject, with or without a degree, provides a better basis. In any case, music degrees cover a very much wider field than just classical music (performance, composition, global hip hop, foundations of ethnomusicology, recording and producing music, dance music, music in the community - to mention a few of the delights of the current Oxford syllabus).

Comment

• peterthekeys
                            • Aug 2014

Is that connected to SK having a first-class degree in music from the University of Oxford?
                            Didn't know that. Now I know why I can't stand her. (She's probably got absolute pitch as well. Grrrrr!)

My own music degree was a lower 2nd from Huddersfield (I switched careers to IT fairly soon afterwards - seems to have been a good move).

Comment

• The Lone Marmot
                              • May 2019

These days, and in view of how comments from even a non-entity like myself might be taken by those about whom they are made, I am reluctant to criticise an individual personally. With that being said I have to confess that Suzy Klein is not at all my cup of tea. I'm sure she is knowledgeable and a nice person and this is probably a fault of mine, but I do find her presentation irritating. Some problems:

# She seems to have a very thin skin. Once, when corrected by several listeners over some trivial point I heard her shouting "Alright! Alright!" in response. Not really the done thing I would suggest.
                              # Her use of "we", "We love that!". Who is this "we"? That's one of my pet hates.
                              # Her use of the glottal stop.
                              # Her overly-chummy attitude.

In a way this is probably unfair and some of it is down to the current presentation style seemingly mandated on Radio 3.

But, as you have above, I contrast this with Georgia Mann who is equally chummy and knowledgeable, but just comes across to me anyway as far more enjoyable to listen to. An issue of chemistry as one sometimes finds in real life perhaps?

Maybe it's an issue of "authenticity"?
                              Last edited by The Lone Marmot; 19-06-20, 09:09.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                                • Nov 2010

....I agree TLM....
                                bong ching

Comment

Working...
                                X