X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Looks very much as if Sara Cox will follow Simon Mayo and lead a further assault on the dominance of Skellers - in the Grauniad this morning she informs us the music she wishes to have played at her funeral is “ The Hovis ad music “ .....
    I've been searching everywhere for one of the new luminous 'Golden Hill' loaves, but it's the same story every time: 'Sorry love, we've sold out of Hi-Vis Hovis'.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
      Long time since I listened to essential classic, but I thought I'd give it a bash during my morning coffee break (c1030am). Some good music being played, based on the theme of "dramatic rides", but totally spoiled by several minutes rabbiting on about what Fred from Selkirk or Mary from Plymouth thought was a good ride theme. Surely they just need to say, once a year, that audience requests will be taken into account. Are "essential classics" regulars such narcissists that they need to have their name and occupation read out on air? Indeed so crass! And so boring.
      I don't always listen but did this morning. My radio was still tuned R3 from last night. He was announcing a new Brahms Req from Daniel Harding so I stuck with it. I enjoyed what I heard, but of course only one movement is deemed essential for a R3 morning session so I went to Spotify to listen to the rest. It wouldn't become my top choice but the Swedish choir and orchestra came across beautifully and I loved Matthias Goerne's fruity-toned contribution.

Comment

• peterthekeys
        • Aug 2014

Are "essential classics" regulars such narcissists that they need to have their name and occupation read out on air? Indeed so crass! And so boring.
        Maybe it's the same people who apparently need to be seen and heard to applaud after the first movements of symphonies and piano concertos at the Proms

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

TTN is a quiet, less-is-more production. R3 for at least some of the 24hrs as it should be IMO.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Are "essential classics" regulars such narcissists that they need to have their name and occupation read out on air? Indeed so crass! And so boring.
            The audience contributors supply(or not) their details; what of that information is broadcast is not their decision. Whether they 'need' to have that read out and wouldn't contribute otherwise is not a question that's likely to get answered. Of the two people I know who have been 'made public', the reaction was different in each case but for neither was the personal attribution important or the main/only motive.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
              Maybe it's the same people who apparently need to be seen and heard to applaud after the first movements of symphonies and piano concertos at the Proms
              I have occasionally emailed in suggestions to 'Breakfast' and 'Essential Classics' and a few of those suggestions have been broadcast, most recently on 'Breakfast' yesterday. Worse than that, I've also appeared on both radio and TV quizzes on a few occasions. I'm not quite sure how - or indeed whether - that makes me narcissistic. I don't stay in in order to listen to EC fervently hoping that I'll get a 'name check' - or is it now a 'shout-out'? - but sometimes check the schedule later to discover what piece(s) other people have suggested.
              I've never clapped between movements when attending a concert, and never will.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just turned on....to Ravel's Bolero

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Oo-er. Whatever rings your bell.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Surely you mean Torvil and Dean's Bolero ?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

How long did you stay tuned?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        I prefer Ravel's version to Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Cats" modification.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          I'll always remember that Shepherds Bush market holder at the time who, on being asked if he could name the music, replied, "Oh, it's that Bollero... by, what's 'is name? Ravle".

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            The audience contributors supply(or not) their details; what of that information is broadcast is not their decision. Whether they 'need' to have that read out and wouldn't contribute otherwise is not a question that's likely to get answered. Of the two people I know who have been 'made public', the reaction was different in each case but for neither was the personal attribution important or the main/only motive.
                            I recently contributed a message after Sarah Walker played the Holst Terzetto. I mentioned that I'd played the oboe part in a school concert, really only as context for pointing out the oddity that Holst had written each part in a different key. SW omitted that bit, and instead commented that 'you must have been a very good oboist' - which was not the purpose of my message at all. A number of friends heard it and must have concluded that I was a terrible braggart (well, perhaps they had come to that conclusion long before, but you know what I mean).

I am now much more wary of contributing.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

If Sarah Walker ever drew attention to my musical ability on air ( unlikely ) I would be really chuffed. There is a terrible modesty in this country about artistic ability which no other nation seems to exhibit. Any one who can get a vaguely musical sound out of an oboe ( or any double reed instrument ) is entitled to brag.....

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                                If Sarah Walker ever drew attention to my musical ability on air ( unlikely ) I would be really chuffed. There is a terrible modesty in this country about artistic ability which no other nation seems to exhibit. Any one who can get a vaguely musical sound out of an oboe ( or any double reed instrument ) is entitled to brag.....
                                And Sarah would know what she was talking about, unlike some EC presenters!

Comment

Working...
                                X