Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I have a couple of hundred cassettes recorded in the 80s and 90s, mostly off-air from Radio 3. Many live concerts. I rarely play them but there's good stuff in there. Quality is OK and I won't throw them out.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Could it be that there is more R3 archive footage around on private cassette collections than the BBC has itself after serial wipings!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Could it be that there is more R3 archive footage around on private cassette collections than the BBC has itself after serial wipings!
        As with sourcing puns, all they need do is ring me!

Oh, and promise me exemption from needing a licence in just over one year's time!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          As with sourcing puns, all they need do is ring me!

Oh, and promise me exemption from needing a licence in just over one year's time!

Whatever you want, you can have, old chap! (Message from No. 10 forwarded at Dominic's request)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            [/B]

Whatever you want, you can have, old chap! (Message from No. 10 forwarded at Dominic's request)

Comment

• Wychwood
              • Aug 2017

Lovely to hear FS Kelly's Elegy: In Memoriam Rupert Brooke on EC this morning. Such a beautiful, haunting piece, imvho.
              IIRC, Pabmusic posted a link to this Youtube video on the forum a while back, and I acknowledge that in reviving it now: surely a perfect blend of music, images and words.

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Wychwood View Post
                Lovely to hear FS Kelly's Elegy: In Memoriam Rupert Brooke on EC this morning. Such a beautiful, haunting piece, imvho.
                IIRC, Pabmusic posted a link to this Youtube video on the forum a while back, and I acknowledge that in reviving it now: surely a perfect blend of music, images and words.

https://youtu.be/aK19TZfoHLo
                Yes, I find there's usually one lovely piece each morning that's new to me and gives me a good reason to keep listening to EC.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  “Has no one else noticed that ....... as an oasis of great music, is being gradually destroyed? It is invaded increasingly by light-classical and light music (eg in the early morning ... programmes): and listeners are presented with more and more magazine programmes, and assortments of bits and pieces ....... I protested to the Director of Music in the hope that he would be glad to reassure me, but my letter was not answered. If it is not yet time to mourn the passing of an exceptional flower of our culture, let us recognise and condemn this deplorable tendency to propagate and tolerate the trivial. Who is it that imagines or pretends that there is any merit in broadcasting jaunty little tunes interspersed with a disc-jockey’s chatter?”

Well that’s me told - but when ........ ????
                  That's quite some generalisation and, dare I say, a fair dose of trivialisation of the works that are played.
                  If the morning schedule was indeed solely 'jaunty little tunes' I would have stopped listening years ago; as I have remarked on more than one occasion even I do have my limits.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    That's quite some generalisation and, dare I say, a fair dose of trivialisation of the works that are played.
                    If the morning schedule was indeed solely 'jaunty little tunes' I would have stopped listening years ago; as I have remarked on more than one occasion even I do have my limits.
                    When do you think this letter to the Times was written ...... ????

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

2001 - a space oddity.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Not this century I would guess, but the opinions expressed could be yesterday judging by some posts on this thread.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Not this century I would guess, but the opinions expressed could be yesterday judging by some posts on this thread.
                          1955, per the reference to 'light music' and 'disc-jockeys' but there's a certain self-conscious archaism in the writing so (if a second guess is allowed) possibly contemporary. I'm not putting money on either however.
                          For me this posting is a coincidence as I was going to start a thread asking for the return of a day on R3 devoted to 'light music', having listened to some Trevor Duncan and Eric Coates and having been reminded just how accomplished and tuneful they were.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            1955, per the reference to 'light music' and 'disc-jockeys' but there's a certain self-conscious archaism in the writing so (if a second guess is allowed) possibly contemporary. I'm not putting money on either however.
                            For me this posting is a coincidence as I was going to start a thread asking for the return of a day on R3 devoted to 'light music', having listened to some Trevor Duncan and Eric Coates and having been reminded just how accomplished and tuneful they were.
                            Several of the compilations which I recorded on cassette many years ago and still play from time to time include items featured in Brian Kay's light music programmes. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be room on radio for this kind of music at present.

Comment

• peterthekeys
                              • Aug 2014

Trevor Duncan - great composer. The march from his "Little Suite", a.k.a the theme from "Dr. Finlay's Casebook" - it's been called one of the best TV theme tunes of all time.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I thought perhaps late 50s/early 60s for the reasons you mention. It did make me smile though because it was just the sort of thing my maternal grandparents would say, despite the fact they weren't really what one would call music lovers or ever listened to the Third Programme more than very occasionally. I always suspected that left to their own devices and away from disapproving peers and neighbours they would have chosen light music, and I think on occasion they allowed themselves G&S.

Comment

Working...
                                X