X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Talking of brass bands, I recently met a woman musician, who was both a string and brass player. She claimed she was the person upon whom the character of Gloria was based, in the film 'Brassed Off', having played in a Yorkshire brass band in her youth.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Caught bits of today’s SK performance .... 2 complete symphonies and Kermit the Frog - but I felt a bit less of the schoolmarm - perhaps she has been listening to Skellers on BBC Sounds or I am approaching 70 and mellowing like cloughers

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Caught bits of today’s SK performance .... 2 complete symphonies and Kermit the Frog - but I felt a bit less of the schoolmarm - perhaps she has been listening to Skellers on BBC Sounds or I am approaching 70 and mellowing like cloughers
        Mellow moi?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

2 complete symphonies
          Yes, there are some very short symphonies about: bravo, EC, for finding two of them …

and Kermit the Frog
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Talking of brass bands, I recently met a woman musician, who was both a string and brass player. She claimed she was the person upon whom the character of Gloria was based, in the film 'Brassed Off', having played in a Yorkshire brass band in her youth.
            I once met a woman from Peterborough who does nothing but slides

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I once met a woman from Peterborough who does nothing but slides
              Speaking of which there's an interesting one in this week's All of Bach offering.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

She managed to vent most of it on the listener who suggested McCartney's Frog's Chorus as a follow-on piece.
                I notice that the snippet trend(aka b* chunks) has a new version now, on both Breakfast and EC - sticking them together to make a mini mixtape. Madam managed to get 5 in one so was probably feeling pretty pleased with herself. My quibble with it is that the items chosen are sometimes too alike to be able to tell straightaway that they are in fact different. Given that the target audience is supposedly less knowledgeable that's risking unnecessary confusion - and possibly disappointment if care isn't taken to check what was played in what order.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Speaking of which there's an interesting one in this week's All of Bach offering.
                  A woman from Peterborough?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

She managed to vent most of it on the listener who suggested McCartney's Frog's Chorus as a follow-on piece.
                    I notice that the snippet trend(aka b* chunks) has a new version now, on both Breakfast and EC - sticking them together to make a mini mixtape. Madam managed to get 5 in one so was probably feeling pretty pleased with herself. My quibble with it is that the items chosen are sometimes too alike to be able to tell straightaway that they are in fact different. Given that the target audience is supposedly less knowledgeable that's risking unnecessary confusion - and possibly disappointment if care isn't taken to check what was played in what order.
                    Agreed OOO the follow on segment was a pig’s breakfast .... doesn’t happen on the Great Man’s watch .....

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Given that the target audience is supposedly less knowledgeable that's risking unnecessary confusion - and possibly disappointment if care isn't taken to check what was played in what order.
                      I have a suspicion that it's all supposed to be for a target audience that doesn't much care what it's listening. It's just music, isn't it?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

What were the symphonies?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          A woman from Peterborough?

I was wondering of the woman from Peterborough who does nothing but slides, does them on her bum or through a magic lantern!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            What were the symphonies?
                            String symphony by Meddlesome and Prokofiev's No 1

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I was wondering of the woman from Peterborough who does nothing but slides, does them on her bum or through a magic lantern!
                              There once was a woman from Peterborough
                              Whose slides were exceedingly thorough
                              Made one in the mud
                              As deep as she could
                              And since then has been ploughing her own furrow!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                There once was a woman from Peterborough
                                Whose slides were exceedingly thorough
                                Made one in the mud
                                As deep as she could
                                And since then has been ploughing her own furrow!

There's nothing to match a spontaneous limerick off the top of your bottom!
                                Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 15-06-19, 23:10. Reason: Off, not of

Comment

Working...
                                X