X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Yes, absolutely agree: such practices are cruel and amount to an equivalent of coitus interruptus: musicus interruptus, perhaps?
    Not really there’s probably some excitement involved with the former - it is a bleeding bleeding chunk - no pint in trying to disguise it!

Comment

• LezLee
      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      The solo one it was. Starker 30:42, Clein a fraction slower at 33:52 (she takes nearly 2 mins more over the slow movement, packing even more gran espressione into it ). I'm sure you're right ff but it seems such a dreadful place to stop. I didn't hear what SK played next, but...couldn't she have just let it play out?
      It was followed by Brandenburg 4 - 3rd Mvt.

I’ve just discovered this forum via a poster on Talk Classical, wish I’d known of it before, I’d have had lots to say!
      I find SK extremely irritating but am rather fond of our Ian. I’m a bit worried he’s just coasting and will one day bugger off to more challenging pastures new. I admit to having a couple of mentions on the dreaded Playlist game. Doesn’t make me a bad person.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by LezLee View Post

I’ve just discovered this forum via a poster on Talk Classical, wish I’d known of it before, I’d have had lots to say!
        I find SK extremely irritating but am rather fond of our Ian. I’m a bit worried he’s just coasting and will one day bugger off to more challenging pastures new. I admit to having a couple of mentions on the dreaded Playlist game. Doesn’t make me a bad person.
        ...and thanks to you I've just discovered Talk Classical - not that I'll be going there, one forum (more than) enough!

Welcome LezLee! At least one other forumite here is a regular contributor, we'll just have to overlook it

At least "our Ian", like Martin Handley, does self-deprecating, which SK, er, doesn't.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Not really there’s probably some excitement involved with the former - it is a bleeding bleeding chunk - no pint in trying to disguise it!

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You can’t beat a post pub typo!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Welcome LezLee! My first ever posting on this Forum was basically a complaint about the (to me) regrettable changes to the 10.00 - 1200 slot. Sadly, if I were joining the Forum today, I suspect that I wouldn't change a word....
              I will confess to having had a serious suggestion for a 'follow-on' piece chosen by IS. For some strange reason, none of my basically more - well, let's say 'humorous'- suggestions addressed to SK has been chosen. I don't actually wait to find out the response, as I'm happy to check the playlist later.
              (How's The Wheel?)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Often people refer to violin sonatas or those written for other instruments as if they were featured alone. I myself have probably referred more times than I should ever have done to Bartok's two violin sonatas, whereas I know that he composed two sonatas for violin and piano in 1921/22 and his only solo violin sonata in 1944!
                As a regular accompanist, this one really sticks in my gut. A necessary extra is not exactly what we are.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  As a regular accompanist, this one really sticks in my gut. A necessary extra is not exactly what we are.

Particularly when the piano part appears ( to a non -violinist ) to be more difficult than the violin part e.g final movement Franck , Kreutzer. I refer to these pieces as piano concerti with violin accompaniment only half in jest...
                  Last edited by kernelbogey; 05-04-19, 11:02.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Welcome LezLee - there are actually a number of “members” who have had a mention, myself included ...... also I have been known to pick up my pen in support of IS - I feel he will leave, as head of Household, when Charles3 moves into Buck House ......

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      EA: presumably particularly galling when the score says it's a sonata 'for piano and violin', as with Mozart and his predecessors?

Writing a programme note for a performance of Brahms's 2nd sonata the other week I was very surprised to discover that Brahms had gone back to the old nomenclature, presumably as a counterblast to the romantic virtuoso emphasis on the violin part with the piano just there for harmonic support(?).
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        "there are actually a number of “members” who have had a mention, myself included"
                        What is the number, would you guess? Three?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Yes, absolutely agree: such practices are cruel and amount to an equivalent of coitus interruptus: musicus interruptus, perhaps?
                          The argument above suggests that the purpose of this musicus interruptus is to create more listeners; whereas the other practice has the reverse intention.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            What is the number, would you guess? Three?
                            Far, far more .........

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Far, far more .........
                              Do you have some sort of secret club where you all meet to coordinate your tactics?

I've found some old information about EC in the Broadcasting House wheelie bin, dating back to 2017, shredded so it's been a bit hard putting back together:

Strategy: 'a signific……… umber of core Radio 3 listen… s are turning to other statio …' - how do we keep hold of them? [Suzy Klein?]

Average age 62 (older than the station average) - how do we app……… ounger listeners? [more reliance on social media?]

The programme should be 'a trusted guide to classical music listening'
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Do you have some sort of secret club where you all meet to coordinate your tactics?

I've found some old information about EC in the Broadcasting House wheelie bin, dating back to 2017, shredded so it's been a bit hard putting back together:

Strategy: 'a signific……… umber of core Radio 3 listen… s are turning to other statio …' - how do we keep hold of them? [Suzy Klein?]

Average age 62 (older than the station average) - how do we app……… ounger listeners? [more reliance on social media?]

The programme should be 'a trusted guide to classical music listening'
                                Not intentionally, but the replacement costs for hard hats to use above the parapet means that keeping a low profile is preferred...

Comment

Working...
                                X